Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Pizer, as has been suggested elsewhere, had been one of Thick's narks, could it be that he'd somehow transgressed/misbehaved and that his identification by Thick as Leather Apron was a device to figuratively deliver him a slap back into line? Just a very speculative thought...

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson
      I think it actually supports your theory that someone was pulling the strings without implying Thick was dirty.
      I'm not trying to 'create' a theory that needs 'support'. That's not my style of Ripperology. The suggestion that Thick was dirty did not originate with me. The evidence in the Pizer case strongly points to his being fitted up by Thick. Neil says that's not the same as being 'on the take'. I'd agree with that and I'd say it's far worse than grabbing some money for doing a favor. For all we know that's what happened with Pizer. After all, he framed Pizer for a reason. We just don't know what that reason is.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Oops! sorry Tom, didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

It's general stuff, the OBO, down amongst the lowlifes, most of the time they don't contradict Thick's version of events, and they have previous.
        In the Seals case, it was still a fair cop at the end of the day.

All the best.

Comment

• Edmund Henderson's Annual Report.

Although I did like this from 1885.

Last year the police chief had 11,540 men to assist him...... of which only 671 lost their mess through misconduct.

All the best.

Comment

• Hi Cogidubnus

Here's one to ponder, OBO 28th March 1881

In the case of JACOB METZ (28) for malicously wounding John McCarthy.

Unfit to plead, insane.

All the best

Comment

• No, it's a needle in a haystack really, there were so many McCarthy's and Donovans up in court during the 1880's.
              As we are speculating, it doesn't seem a very great reach to me to infer there was some connection between the WM and the Irish nest in Whitechapel. they were into everything and by strange coincidence Timothy Donovan was eager to identify Pizer.

All the best.

Comment

• Hi all

Between 1880 and 1887 a total of 186 cases appear at the Old Bailey under the search terms 'wounding knife'.

In the same period, 13 cases appeared where the word 'rip' was used, i.e 'rip your guts out'.

All the best.

Comment

• Anyway

In an attempt to answer Mr Wood, Widow Annie, Mike the Grocer, either of the two Philpott street women or Constables 43J and 173J would have shown up to identify him, just like they didn't on or after the 10th.
                  All the best.

Comment

• Just finished reading the Bank Holiday Murders. I got through it in a few days, it had me gripped. A very interesting angle on the whole saga and it certainly got me thinking.
                    I would certainly highly recommend it. Good work Tom!

Comment

• I'm purchasing a copy as a b'day prezzie for myself. Looking forward to it!

Comment

• Originally posted by milpool View Post
                        Just finished reading the Bank Holiday Murders. I got through it in a few days, it had me gripped. A very interesting angle on the whole saga and it certainly got me thinking.
                        I would certainly highly recommend it. Good work Tom!
                        Thank you for taking the time to say so, Milpool. It's very much appreciated.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
                          I'm purchasing a copy as a b'day prezzie for myself. Looking forward to it!
                          Fantastic! Living in Australia, as I assume you do, you can save on postage by ordering from Book Depository vs Amazon.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Tom,

I have already congratulated you before on the book...I have since re-read it and listened to the podcast you were on (saved me from an awful 3 hour train journey)

I wanted to ask if you knew how many people lived at any one time at 35 Dorset street? I was also wondering if the address had a high turnover of residents from week to week or month to month? Apologies if this has been asked before. I actually wanted to private message you this question but am unable to.

Many thanks
                            Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanG View Post
                              Hi Tom,

I have already congratulated you before on the book...I have since re-read it and listened to the podcast you were on (saved me from an awful 3 hour train journey)

I wanted to ask if you knew how many people lived at any one time at 35 Dorset street? I was also wondering if the address had a high turnover of residents from week to week or month to month? Apologies if this has been asked before. I actually wanted to private message you this question but am unable to.

Many thanks
                              Alan
                              Hi Alan, that's a good question. I know that 35 Dorset Street was relatively new in 1888, having been built within just the previous 2 or 3 years, and it was quite large compared to most other lodging houses. But I have no idea how many beds it had (officially and unofficially). As for turnover, I'm sure there was quite a built, although it would have had its mainstays. Look at Eddowes who had stayed in the same lodging house for seven years or so.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I forgot to say this: I ordered a copy of the book and my brother brought it to me in Taiwan. It was very well done. My favorite thing about the book is that it didn't try to answer the exact question of whodunnit and instead focused on a small nest of just petty low-class characters, including Thicke (though he's open to debate).

Pearly Poll has to be the most interesting of the current cast of thousands in the JTR saga. Good job, Tom.

Mike
                                huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X