How strange is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Natasha

Spot on. I found 20 year old Bridget Kelly who got 5 years for robbing Henry Auguste Redult in 1882 (Old Bailey Online) on the Ratcliffe Highway.
    This stood out for me as there were also five other women involved although not charged, possibly a knife and a bloody apron.
    Thanks for that.
    all the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
      Eddowes - Mustard tin containing two pawn tickets, One in the name of Emily Birrell, 52 White's Row, dated August 31, 9d for a man's flannel shirt. The other is in the name of Jane Kelly of 6 Dorset Street and dated September 28, 2S for a pair of men's boots. Both addresses are false.

Maybe the hoaxer just borrowed that street name as many others seem to have done too

It was a notorious street.

On another note, I have a problem with my hypothesis the ripper read this article with the hoax mentioned if that article wasn't sold in London as its an Ipswitch paper.
      Hi Batman

This letter wouldn't get any interest if it was sent after the murder, but it is too much of a coincidence that the murder took place days after it was sent. That is why there is reason to investigate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
        Hi Natasha

Spot on. I found 20 year old Bridget Kelly who got 5 years for robbing Henry Auguste Redult in 1882 (Old Bailey Online) on the Ratcliffe Highway.
        This stood out for me as there were also five other women involved although not charged, possibly a knife and a bloody apron.
        Thanks for that.
        all the best.
        Hi Martin

Thanks for the info.

Is it possible that she was MJK? I know there was accounts of her whereabouts etc, but what if it was crap, would she have wanted to admit that she was in prison?

Could it be possible that the man who was robbed had anything to do with the murders? I know he was German and there were crimes committed over there that had ripper stamped on them.

Is it coincidental that Bridget shared Mary's surname?

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
          G'day Rocky

But would any letter writer, really use their own address.

I find it interesting that any time Mrs Maxwell is discussed it is seldom that any attention is given to Maurice Lewis, who also says he saw her that morning, what are the odds of them both being in on the same cover up or them both being mistaken as to the day?
          I have been intrigued by the sightings of Mary Kelly, supposedly alive and well hours after she was murdered and butchered. What if the dead woman was someone else? What if Kelly escaped and let everyone think the corpse was herself? Did any other woman from the area vanish about the same time?

Re the letter, it does seem to have a bit of coded references in it. Very strange...
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

• Hi Natasha

I think there were significant numbers of Irish people in Whitechapel and the East end generally, and Kelly is obviously a very common surname.if that was her name.
            I am plodding through the Old Bailey online and I can tell you the clan Donovan were a downright menace.
            Who knows? there has always been a mystery about her and being in prison might be the reason for that.
            I can't find much on Maria Harvey, but she said she was a laundress, although of no fixed abode, which makes me wonder if she was in somewhere like The Sisters of the Good Shepherd in Finchley. It may not be a catholic connection to MJK, then again it may.

Finishing on yet another coincidence, there's a Timothy Donovan running the Brittania...........Hotel in Australia!
            All the best.

Comment

• Hi Pc Dunn

Being sick in the road may well be because of drink, it could also be because she saw something utterly nauseating back in her room............

All the best.

Comment

Hi Pc Dunn

Being sick in the road may well be because of drink, it could also be because she saw something utterly nauseating back in her room............

All the best.
                Or the fish might have been a bit crook.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Pc Dunn

All the best.
                  Pretty much what I was thinking...
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Or the fish might have been a bit crook.
                    "The Aussies are not the men who will not be pragmatic for nothing!"
                    ---------------
                    ---------------

Comment

• Hi all

Well, the Aussie cricket team were in town in 1888, I'm very fond of Oz film, but as a bloody pom of course I'm all too ready to believe the worst of them when they take to the cricket field.
                      Could be the peaked cap in a lot of descriptions was the baggy green.

Caroline Maxwell is a puzzle though, she may not have been attempting to provide an alibi solely for a resident of her lodging house of course.

All the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
                        Eddowes - Mustard tin containing two pawn tickets, One in the name of Emily Birrell, 52 White's Row, dated August 31, 9d for a man's flannel shirt. The other is in the name of Jane Kelly of 6 Dorset Street and dated September 28, 2S for a pair of men's boots. Both addresses are false.

Maybe the hoaxer just borrowed that street name as many others seem to have done too

It was a notorious street.

On another note, I have a problem with my hypothesis the ripper read this article with the hoax mentioned if that article wasn't sold in London as its an Ipswitch paper.
                        Kate used the name Mary Kelly of Fashion Street when she was taken to Bishopsgate, which means within 24 hours she used 2 aliases that contain the name and address of Mary Jane Kelly, _6 Dorset Street....which suggests she may have known the next victim Mary Kelly...that's more probable that a chance use of Dorset in the alias...since Dorset had a reputation as a "bad" street, perhaps the worst in London at that time, why would anyone use it as a false address..it would impact how they would be perceived.

Cheers
                        Michael Richards

Comment

Hi Natasha

I think there were significant numbers of Irish people in Whitechapel and the East end generally, and Kelly is obviously a very common surname.if that was her name.
                          I am plodding through the Old Bailey online and I can tell you the clan Donovan were a downright menace.
                          Who knows? there has always been a mystery about her and being in prison might be the reason for that.
                          I can't find much on Maria Harvey, but she said she was a laundress, although of no fixed abode, which makes me wonder if she was in somewhere like The Sisters of the Good Shepherd in Finchley. It may not be a catholic connection to MJK, then again it may.

Finishing on yet another coincidence, there's a Timothy Donovan running the Brittania...........Hotel in Australia!
                          All the best.
                          Hi Martin

Yeah I guess it is a long shot

The prison suggestion may not be far off the mark. People have said Kelly could have been from a respectable well to do family, and perhaps if she went to prison that could have made her the black sheep of the family.

Donovan/Britannia coincidence: lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                            I have been intrigued by the sightings of Mary Kelly, supposedly alive and well hours after she was murdered and butchered. What if the dead woman was someone else? What if Kelly escaped and let everyone think the corpse was herself? Did any other woman from the area vanish about the same time?

Re the letter, it does seem to have a bit of coded references in it. Very strange...
                            Hi PC

I have wondered this myself on numerous occasions. If Kelly wasn't the victim found, could it be possible that the letter was written by her?

Comment

Hi all

Well, the Aussie cricket team were in town in 1888, I'm very fond of Oz film, but as a bloody pom of course I'm all too ready to believe the worst of them when they take to the cricket field.
                              Could be the peaked cap in a lot of descriptions was the baggy green.

Caroline Maxwell is a puzzle though, she may not have been attempting to provide an alibi solely for a resident of her lodging house of course.

All the best.
                              And some of the Aussie cricket time have been known to have a bit of a slash from time to time, or let rip so maybe you are actually onto something there.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

And some of the Aussie cricket time have been known to have a bit of a slash from time to time, or let rip so maybe you are actually onto something there.
                                Pardon an uninformed Yank's query here, but does the Cricket season continue into November and December each year? I think it does, but I'm not sure. I know American Football certainly does (while Baseball ends in the fall months). And if so, I suppose that Montie would have been curious about any Cricket matches.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X