No announcement yet.

Thompson, Meynell - Ripper Conspiracy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thompson, Meynell - Ripper Conspiracy.

Francis Thompson & the Meynells. Were they involved in a Jack the Ripper murder conspiracy?

I have found facts that point to a husband and wife, knowingly harboring and profiting from the fugitive now known as Jack the Ripper. Since 1988 the English poet Francis Joseph Thompson (1859-1907) has been a suspected the Ripper, the murderer of women in London’s East in 1888. On the centenary of the Ripper murders, Medical Examiner for Nueces County, Texas, Joseph C. Rupp, M.D., Ph.D. published his article "Was Francis Thompson Jack the Ripper?" in "The Criminologist." His article told:

'Francis Thompson spent six years in medical school, in effect, he went through medical school three times. It is unlikely, no matter how disinterested he was or how few lectures he attended, that he did not absorb a significant amount of medical knowledge. …The Ripper was able to elude the police so many times in spite of the complete mobilization of many volunteer groups and the law enforcement agencies in London. If we look at Thompson's background, having lived on the streets for three years prior to this series of crimes, there is no doubt that he knew the back streets of London intimately and that his attire and condition as a derelict and drug addict would not arouse suspicion as he moved by day and night through the East End of London’

Thompson’s publishers and heir to his literary estate, were, Alice Thompson Meynell and Wilfrid Francis Meynell. It was their short-lived literary magazine that Thompson’s poems were first published in May 1888. Alice was a poetess and Wilfrid was a newspaper publisher and editor. Prior to this Wilfrid had performed voluntary work for the poor at around the shelter for London’s homeless. It was after the Meynells published Thompson first poems that in mid-November of 1888, they salvaged him from three years of homelessness in the East End. The Meynells took Thompson off to the country where he lived in a monastery and began writing for them. The Meynells essentially looked after Thompson for the rest of his life. In 1907 a daughter of the Meynells was used to lure Thompson into hospital by having feigned sickness and admitting herself first. Upon entry, Thompson was admitted as a fever patient, and was searched for drugs. Thompson was addicted to opium and found in the sole his shoe was a bag of opium powder. Wilfrid wrote to Thompson’s landlady who was concerned about Thompson. He told her Thompson was fine and that she was to take great care of his papers, books and memoranda. Thompson was placed in an isolation ward and a five days later his medication was withdrawn and he was given only opium. One week after entering the hospital Thompson was dead. He was only 47, when he died weighing less than thirty-two kilograms. The term 'morphomania' was used to indicate a drug-related death. The Meynells said that his condition was aggravated by tuberculosis. Even though this disease is typified by the coughing up of mucus mixed with blood, beforehand Thompson did not even have a cough. The Hospital Chaplin refused to give Thompson last rights so he was replaced. Though even the replacement refused to vouch for the name. A will was hastily drawn up by the husband of the Meynell’s daughter’s husband and signed by Thompson only hours before he died. It gave all monetary rights to Thompson’s works to Wilfrid. A patient who knew none of the men witnessed the will. Although no official autopsy was performed, Wilfred stated that Thompson's had only one functioning lung. Only a dozen mourners, mostly the Meynells, attended Thompson’s funeral. Within three years after Thompson's death, his poem the “Hound of Heaven” had sold 50,000 copies. Much of what Thompson wrote disappeared, was destroyed or vanished. Wilfrid burned a series of stories Thompson completed in 1901, detailing his time on the streets. Thompson’s sister burned his letters.

Wilfrid Meynell has a connection to the first ever story published on the Ripper murders. This was a short gothic novel, “The Curse Upon Mitre Square: A.D. 1530 – 1888”, by someone called John Francis Brewer. Wilfred was known to use pseudonyms. The murder of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square is a main plot point of the story. It published soon after her murder in October 1888. This novel was published by ‘Simpkin, Marshall and Co’ one of many hundreds of publishers in London at the time. As well as handling this 1st Jack the Ripper murder story they also handled works written and signed by Meynell. He published though ‘Simpkin, Marshall and Co,’ his ‘The Child Set in the Midst By Modern Poets’ in 1892. This publisher also handled the first biography on Thompson in 1912.

Wilfrid Meynell also has connections to another Ripper book fifteen years later. This was the 1913, “The Lodger,” written by Marie Belloc Lowndes. It was the first and widely successful novelization on the Ripper and made a fortune. This was published by “Methuen” one of the then many hundreds of publishing houses in London. Founded in 1889, “Methuen” also released Thompson’s “Selected Poems” in 1908, which included a biographical note by Wilfrid Meynell. Methuen Publishing had their offices at 36 Essex Street, London. On the same street, four doors down at number 44 were the officers of “Merry England”. It was here; prior to the Ripper murders that Thompson personally delivered his first specimens of poems addressed to Meynell. Wilfrid Meynell was also the life long friend, neighbor and publisher for Lowndes’s brother, the writer, Hilair Belloc. In the same year that the “Lodger” was published, Meynell published the 3 volumes "Works of Francis Thompson". After Thompson’s death, the Meynell’s made a fortune from selling the works of Francis Thompson. This included a story in which a man kills a woman with a knife in a satanic sacrifice. Thompson wrote it while he was still residing in the monastery in the autumn of 1889, on the 1st anniversary of the Ripper Murders.

The probability that this is all a coincidence seems remote. It appears that the Meynell’s concealed Thompson from the police and used their inside knowledge to benefit financially from the Ripper murders.
    Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Does he pass the shiver down the spine test?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	665832

Comment

Thanks. Good image of Thompson as he probably would have looked in the Autumn of 1888.
      Author of

Comment

Francis Thompson was my favourite suspect when I first dipped my toe into Ripperology.

Comment

Harry D - I'd love to know why he was your favourite, and why he is not, now.

I *love* The Hound of Heaven. Particularly the sense of relentlessness in the first stanza:

I fled Him down the nights and down the days
          I fled Him down the arches of the years
          I fled Him down the labyrinthine ways
          Of my own mind, and in the midst of tears
          I hid from him, and under running laughter.
          Up vistaed hopes I sped and shot precipitated
          Adown titanic glooms of chasmed hears
          From those strong feet that followed, followed after
          But with unhurrying chase and unperturbed pace,
          Deliberate speed, majestic instancy,
          They beat, and a Voice beat,
          More instant than the feet:
          All things betray thee who betrayest me.

I know Thompson only as one of those poets I *ought* to read more of, more often, and have never heard of him as a Ripper suspect so I'm very interested in some discussion of the why's and why nots.

There's a part of me that just gets very wretched when I read about people burning the papers of poets. Including the poets themselves.. What've we lost? It's profoundly awful. I wonder what he wrote, on the streets and why it was burned, if indeed these people were primarily out to make a buck off him - surely they'd know every scrap would be worth something, if their investment paid off (as it clearly did). It's like somebody burning a suitcase full of Bukowski or Kerouac (I'm betting there's some for whom this analogy seems a very bad one, and the idea of Bukowski in flames is worth a wistful smile, but that's who I pulled out of my "lived on the streets" analogy hat before my first coffee of the day, so.. let's just go with the idea that, to *some*, his works have intrinsic value and leave it at that).

Anyway, a bloody shame about the burning.
          Last edited by Ausgirl; 11-26-2014, 06:21 PM. Reason: I need coffee, obviously

Comment

Hi Ausgirl. He was certainly a great poet. The Meynells might have told you that some of his writings may have offended Catholic sensibilities and brought ill-repute to the name of Thompson. Here's some other examples of his poems that although never published, escaped the flames including one in which the narrator wanders through the streets killing women.

"An Anthem of Earth"
            'Science, old noser in its prideful straw,
            That with anatomizing scalpel tents
            Its three-inch of thy skin and brags 'All's bare'-...
            Tarry awhile lean Earth, for thou shalt drink,
            Even till thy dull throat sicken,
            The draught thou grow'st most fat on; hear'st thou not
            The worlds knives bickering in their sheaths? O patience!
            Much offal of a foul world comes thy way
            And man's superfluous cloud shall soon be laid
            In a little blood.’

(Unpublished on his late mother}

'Died; and horribly
            Saw the mystery
            Saw the grime of it-...
            Saw the sear of it,
            Saw the fear of it,
            Saw the slime of it,
            Saw it whole!
            Son of the womb of her,
            Loved till the doom of her’

{Unpublished}
            'The shadows plot against me,
            and lie in ambush for me;
            The stars conspire
            and a net of fire
            have set for my faring o'er me.
            I ride by ways that are not
            with a trumpet sounding to me
            from goblin lists,
            and the maws of mists
            are opened to undo me.'

Thompson's, “The Owl",

‘The owl is the witch of the cauldron of sleep
            And she stirs it and seethes it whooping deep;
            And she thrusts the witch-bits into it deep,
            Gendering ghosts for the smoke of sleep,
            She flings in toads from the money-dust,
            And feeds it thick with the dead fat of lust;’

{The poem 'Nightmare of the Witch Babies', written in 1886, was withheld from publication. It was about a knight who hunts down a female and then disembowels her. It may be of interest that the writer of the Dear Boss Letter underlined the words Ha Ha}

'Two witch-babies,
            Ha! Ha!
            Two witch-babies,
            Ho! Ho!
            A bedemon-ridden hag,
            With the devil pigged alone
            Begat them, laid at night
            On the bloody-rusted stone;
            And they dwell within the Land
            Of the Bare Shank-Bone,
            Where the Evil goes to and fro,
            Two witch babies, Ho! Ho! Ho!...

A lusty knight,
            Ha! Ha!
            On a swart steed,
            Ho! Ho!
            Rode upon the land
            Where the silence feels alone,
            Rode upon the Land
            Of the Bare Shank - Bone,
            Rode upon the Strand
            Of the Dead Men's Groan,
            Where the Evil goes to and fro
            Two witch babies, Ho! Ho! Ho!
            A rotten mist,
            Ha! Ha!
            Like a dead man's flesh,
            Ho! Ho!
            Was abhorrent in the air,
            Clung a tether to the wood
            Of the wicked looking trees,
            Was a scurf [dead skin] upon the flood;
            And the reeds they were pulpy
            With blood, blood, blood!
            And the clouds were a-looming low.
            Two with babies, Ho! Ho! Ho!
            No one life there,
            Ha! Ha!
            No sweet life there,
            Ho! Ho!
            What is it sees he?
            Ha! Ha!
            There in the frightfulness?
            Ho! Ho!
            There he saw a maiden
            Fairest fair,
            Sad where her dreaming eyes,
            Misty her hair;
            And strange was her garment's flow.
            'Swiftly he followed her
            Ha! Ha!
            Eagerly he followed her
            Ho! Ho!
            From the rank, the greasy soil,
            Red bubbles oozed and stood;
            Till it grew a putrid slime,
            And where his horse had trod,
            The ground plash plashes,
            With a wet like blood;
            And chill terrors like fungus grow,
            Into the fogginess
            Ha! Ha!
            Lo, she corrupted
            Ho! Ho!
            Comes there a Death
            With the looks like a witch,
            And joins that creak
            Like a night-bird's scritch,
            And a breath that smokes
            Like a smoking pitch,
            And eyeless sockets a glow.
            Two witch babies, Ho! Ho! Ho!
            And its paunch [stomach] was rent
            Like a brasted [bursting] drum;
            And the blubbered fat
            From its belly doth come
            It was a stream ran bloodily
            Under the wall
            O Stream, you cannot run too red
            To tell a maid her widowhead!
            It was a stream ran bloodily
            Under the wall.
            With a sickening ooze-Hell made it so!
            Two witch babies, Ho! Ho! Ho!'

"The Ballad of Fair Weather" {Unpublished}
            'My father, too cruel,
            Would scorn me and beat me;
            My wicked stepmother
            Would take me and eat me,
            They looked in the deep grass
            Where it was deepest;
            They looked down the steep bank
            Where it was steepest;
            But under the bruised fern
            Crushed in its feather
            The head and the body
            Were lying together,-
            Ah, death of fair weather!
            Tell me, thou perished head,
            What hand could sever thee?...
            My evil stepmother,
            So witch-like in wish,
            She caught all my pretty blood
            Up in a dish,
            She took out my heart
            For a ghoul-meal together,
            But peaceful my body lies
            In the fern-feather,
            For now is fair weather.'

{From Francis Thompson's, “The House of Sorrows”.}

'The life-gashed heart, the assassin's healing poinard [knife] draw...
            The remedy of steel has gone home to her sick heart.
            Her breast, dishabited,
            Revealed her heart above,
            A little blot of red.'

{ Unpublished poem of Thompson}

‘So strangely near! So far, that ere they meet,
            The boy shall traverse with his bloody feet
            The mired and hungered ways, three sullen years,
            Of the fell city: and those feet shall ooze
            Crueller blood through ruinous avenues.’
            Author of

Comment

I've changed the premise of this essay to improve its accuracy. Although Alice Meynell worked with Wilfrid as a publisher non of the information I give here points to her directly as being part of a conspiracy. The new premise reads.

The poet Francis Thompson & his editor. Facts point to a possible murder conspiracy. A current Jack The Ripper suspect is the 19th century Catholic poet Francis Thompson. I have found two facts that point to him and his editor conspiring to profit from the Whitechapel murder cluster of 1888. The facts are the editor’s connections and involvement with two publishing firms. These were “Simpkin Marshall & Co” and “Methuen”. Both of these firms published, 25 years apart, fictional works on the Jack the Ripper murders. The descriptions of the murderer and the crimes, in these two texts bear a striking similarity to Thompson’s appearance, background and writings. A Ripper suspect, established as such in 1988, whose editor worked with two firms who, 25 years apart, published books on the Ripper. The possibility that this is a coincidence seems remote. It appears that a publisher concealed the Ripper and his identify from the police and used his inside knowledge to benefit financially from the murders.
              Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
                Harry D - I'd love to know why he was your favourite, and why he is not, now.
                Hello, Ausgirl.

Thompson has some things going for him. He was slumming it in the East End, he'd dabbled as a surgeon, some of his poems were gruesome towards women, he said to have possessed a leather apron, and he had a possible motive for hating on prostitutes. All of which, at first glance, looks quite convincing, especially for your average Ripper newbie, but in actuality it's the flimsiest of circumstantial evidence. Plenty of folk lived in the area, possessed leather aprons (for what it's worth), had the anatomical knowledge for the murders, and as to the Ripper's motives we can only speculate.

There are serious question marks about his ability to carry out the murders owing to his poor health at the time, and the consensus is that Jack was right-handed, whereas Thompson was a southpaw.
                Last edited by Harry D; 11-27-2014, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Hi Ausgirl. Being new doesn't mean being wrong. During the reign of the Ripper, London's East End held 900,000 people. Francis Thompson was just one East Ender. You might well ask how come, out them all, I think Thompson is the likely suspect for Jack the Ripper. It is because he is the only one who had combined all four main traits that people look for in the Ripper - ability, opportunity, motive, and a weapon.

Ability:
                  Thompson trained as a surgeon for 6 years, at Owens Medical College Manchester, where he cut up hundreds of cadavers. There he was taught the very new and rare technique of heart removal called the Virchow method. This entails the removal of the heart via the pericardium. Doctor Thomas Bond, who performed Mary Kelly’s Autopsy, told the killer had used this method to remove her heart.

Opportunity:
                  Thompson was able to walk the streets at all hours. Being homeless for 3 years in the East End, he was part of the landscape and could come and go without rousing suspicion.

Motive:
                  Thompson had a resentment of prostitutes. At the start of June 1888 his year long relationship with an unnamed Chelsea prostitute ended angrily and suddenly. After he told her his first poems were to be published, she said she did not want the attention and she threatened to leave him. She since disappeared without a trace.

Weapon:
                  He not only possessed a knife, it was a dissecting scalpel, which was the perfect weapon for the Ripper crimes.
                  Author of

Comment

Harry, thank you. I agree with you on both points, so far -- that there *are* things which may point to Thompson, others that may disqualify him (though it might be argued that the manner in which the Ripper took his victims down might indicate a certain level of weakness..)and that there *aren't* enough specifics to nail him down as one of the 'great likelies' - yet. Mind you, I think he has several more points in that regard than Sickert has (which isn't hard), and possibly a few other suspects as well. But does this make Thompson the Ripper? Not yet, not yet... in my opinion.

I do think he's worth pursuing, though, Richard. I don't see any exploration of a suspect of a waste of time, because as people explore their various theories, they also explore a place and a period of time I find fascinating, and I learn a great deal via those those arguments. And, as I am not nailed down to a particular theory, I enjoy pondering the merit of them all. And I do think Thompson checks a few important boxes in the suspect checklist.

Thank you so much for those poem snippets.. I have not read The Owl, nor a few of the ones you've posted up. Where can I find those? I don't own any books of Thompson's poetry, I've read only what's available on the 'net, and I'd like a hardcopy collection of his work -- hopefully one which contains the remarkable "The Poppy", the last two stanzas of which are just breathtaking. To me, anyway. As well of some of these rarer ones, hopefully.

I've argued (and still do) that the work of all poets is 'confessional' to one degree or another, and I always look for patterns of theme and image, for some insight into the mind which created them. Who can know the mind of the Ripper, indeed.. but we'd certainly be in luck if he was a poet, because then we'd have at least a few small windows to peer through.

In Thompson, I primarily see despair, for himself and his 'world' - but also an idealisation of the 'perfect female' in a particular type of girl-child -- pale, very young, innocent, almost doll-like is the feeling I get from poems like "The Sisters". In these poems, he holds them up as his ideal, worthy object of love while at the same time depicting himself as unworthy, base and bestial, very self-deprecating. He disgusts himself, and everything else disgusts him too - apart from these beautiful children, not yet soiled by the world, in whom exists kindness and goodness and all the things Thompson values and desires, but feels he cannot and does not deserve to experience.

If he was a modern poet, I'd say he borders on being a pedo (to be blunt about it), as this is a recurring theme and he does wax lyrical quite fervently over these children and the effect they have on him. But poets then are not poets now, and there was a completely different mindset as to what is and is not 'acceptable' for a poet to be passionate about. That he does idealise these perfect, innocent girls while himself mired in a world (and a self..) filled with violence and degradation is perhaps not all that shocking. No-one knows the virtue of a grail better than he who wants but can't have it.

*cough* See what happens when you get me started. Anyway. I don't know if that speaks to 'motive' but it's interesting to ponder his mind via the images and themes he frequently employs. I'd like to read a more extensive biography of him, if one's to be found.
                    Last edited by Ausgirl; 11-27-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Oh bum, I meant to say "everything else disgusts him too, but for pristine nature and these girls..". I think he equated himself with London somewhat, something corrupt and soiled, which corrupts and soils whatever touches it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Patterson View Post
                        Hi Ausgirl. Being new doesn't mean being wrong. During the reign of the Ripper, London's East End held 900,000 people. Francis Thompson was just one East Ender. You might well ask how come, out them all, I think Thompson is the likely suspect for Jack the Ripper. It is because he is the only one who had combined all four main traits that people look for in the Ripper - ability, opportunity, motive, and a weapon.

Ability:
                        Thompson trained as a surgeon for 6 years, at Owens Medical College Manchester, where he cut up hundreds of cadavers. There he was taught the very new and rare technique of heart removal called the Virchow method. This entails the removal of the heart via the pericardium. Doctor Thomas Bond, who performed Mary Kelly’s Autopsy, told the killer had used this method to remove her heart.

Opportunity:
                        Thompson was able to walk the streets at all hours. Being homeless for 3 years in the East End, he was part of the landscape and could come and go without rousing suspicion.

Motive:
                        Thompson had a resentment of prostitutes. At the start of June 1888 his year long relationship with an unnamed Chelsea prostitute ended angrily and suddenly. After he told her his first poems were to be published, she said she did not want the attention and she threatened to leave him. She since disappeared without a trace.

Weapon:
                        He not only possessed a knife, it was a dissecting scalpel, which was the perfect weapon for the Ripper crimes.

I don't know enough about Thompson to dismiss him. In fact outright dismissing just about every suspect can only be done if it can be proven definitively they were far away from the location(s) when the murders occurred.

Please keep in mind I'm not trying to say Thompson is a ridiculous suspect or that we shouldn't bother discussing his candidacy. In terms of the four points it isn't difficult to call each of them into question however.

Ability: There is still debate about the Ripper's anatomical skill/knowledge (or lack thereof) to this day. Dr. Thomas Bond who performed the post mortem on Mary Kelly wrote a report after reading the inquest information from the previous murders. In it he states " In each case the mutilation was inflicted by a person who had no scientific nor anatomical knowledge. In my opinion be does not even possess the technical knowledge of a butcher or horse slaughterer or any person accustomed to cut up dead animals." Now this not an opinion shared by every medical professional but Dr. Bond by no means could be considered in the minority on having this viewpoint.

Opportunity: This could describe literally thousands of people and for various reasons.

Motive: This one is the hardest to narrow down. If however a resentment of prostitutes is all that's on the table once again this could be attributed to a number of already established suspects as well as many other people.

Weapon: Is not know for certain what kind of knife (or knives) the killer used. There is a long thread on this subject in the forums here. I'm aware of no evidence stating it had to be a dissecting scalpel. Even if were, we are back to almost every medical person in the area which goes back to the ability question.

Another person - Jacob Levy was brought up as one example of somebody who meets these four criteria. If we remove ability from the equation then we are only left with somebody who could roam around the East End largely unnoticed who didn't like prostitutes and that possessed some kind of knife capable of performing mutilations.

Comment

Thanks for bringing up another suspect, Jacob Levy. Lets put him next to Thompson.

Ability:
                          Jacob knew how to cup up animals while Thompson knew how to cut up people.

Opportunity:
                          Jacob was an East Ender living in Aldgate while Thompson was an East Ender living in Limehouse.

Motive:
                          Jacob had no motive. (People will say he had a sexual disease and guess this may have been a reason to blame prostitutes even though there is nothing to say he even visited prostitutes.) Thompson has a clear motive. He was devastated when his prostitute friend broke off their intimate yearlong relationship.

Weapon:
                          Jacob had butchers knives designed to cut up animals while Thompson had a dissecting scalpel designed to cut up humans.

From these facts, it is reasonable to assume Thompson is a more likely candidate. Please let me know if you have got someone better than Levy for the Ripper. I’d be happy to compare them with Francis Thompson –The Perfect Suspect.

My Facebook Group for my Book on Thompson contains a copy of the 1926 biography on him, written by his publisher’s son, Everard Meynell. As well as many resources concerning FT.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/502480266521400/
                          Author of

Comment

This is exciting. I can't wait for the part where there are eyewitness acounts of him with some of the victims. I especially am excited about the poilce files on Thompson.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

All this in an essay on Thompson - The Prime Suspect.

What I have said here and more can be read in this link to my essay "Thompson & the 4 Pillars of Truth."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5024...0124105757016/
                              Author of

Comment

Working...
                              X