What book should I get next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Milpool

I'd thoroughly recommend it...It's the definitive work on Chapman, most scrupulously researched, and it's up there with the best books I ever read...probably top of my non-fiction reading...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ripper-Myste...george+chapman

All the best

Dave
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 11-25-2014, 03:35 PM. Reason: link added

Comment

Originally posted by milpool View Post
      Not yet, does it come highly recommended?
      When it was released I said something like:

If you are interested in Jack, you must know about Chapman
      If you want to know about Chapman you need a good book on him
      If you can only have one book on Chapman it should be Helena's

That opinion hasn't changed one iota and I stand by it.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thanks guys, that looks like a goer for me. It's got some great reviews on Amazon too.

Comment

Here's a free one (of a few that are on this site). It's nearly ten years old: http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/rps.malcolm.html

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post

If you are interested in Jack, you must know about Chapman
            If you want to know about Chapman you need a good book on him
            If you can only have one book on Chapman it should be Helena's

That opinion hasn't changed one iota and I stand by it.
            Goodness me! I am blushing now!

Thank you for your kind words. A lot of work went into the book and it makes it all worthwhile to find that people find it of use.

The 3rd imprint has sold out. Amazon has only 3 left in stock but I have ordered another batch and they'll be arriving any day now ...

Helena
            Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 11-26-2014, 06:09 PM.
            Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

And I will add that I don't think Chapman was Jack, but at least this book is well researched, well written and thought through.

I feel the same about Tom's book [Bank Holiday Murders], I don't buy all the suggestions, but what I say above about Helena's book applies equally to Tom's.
              Last edited by GUT; 11-26-2014, 06:04 PM.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                Goodness me! I am blushing now!

Thank you for your kind words. A lot of work went into the book and it makes it all worthwhile to find that people find it of use.

The 3rd imprint has sold out. Amazon has only 3 left in stock but I have ordered another batch and they'll be arriving any day now ...

Helena
                Wow!! Congratulations, I wasn't even aware there had been a 3rd imprint, last I recall it was upto number 2.
                G U T

Comment

And I will add that I don't think Chapman was Jack, but at least this book is well researched, well written and thought through.

I feel the same about Tom's book [Bank Holiday Murders], I don't buy all the suggestions, but what I say above about Helena's book applies equally to Tom's.
                  Thanks for that, Gut. Are you under the impression that Helena argued for Chapman having been the Ripper?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    Thanks for that, Gut. Are you under the impression that Helena argued for Chapman having been the Ripper?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    No, I was just trying to make it clear that it was not an influence in my opinion of her book. Just like saying I didn't agree with everything in yours, perhaps I should have worded it differently.
                    G U T

Comment

No, I was just trying to make it clear that it was not an influence in my opinion of her book. Just like saying I didn't agree with everything in yours, perhaps I should have worded it differently.
                      Yes, it was a little confusing, but I got you now.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Not been online for a while, I'm fairly certain not having a laptop has something to do with it. anyway absolutely delighted Toms Wiki entry can start 'Award winning author Tom Westcott'. congratulations.
                        all the best.

Comment

or even Wescott,sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                            Not been online for a while, I'm fairly certain not having a laptop has something to do with it. anyway absolutely delighted Toms Wiki entry can start 'Award winning author Tom Westcott'. congratulations.
                            all the best.
                            Hi Martin, thanks for that. I think it'll be a while before I justify a Wiki entry.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

hi y'all i'm wondering if anyone knows about early published works about the ripper? I assume Leather Apron is the first, what books followed in the years later? Anyone read a good one that stands out? also are there any torso books? "the thames torso murders" book is a suspect book so thats a no, and mei trow's looks little better...are there any other options? If not...HOW?!
                              Last edited by RockySullivan; 12-13-2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

How far back do you want to go? Have you read Leonard Matters' 1929 book on Jack, 'The Mystery of Jack the Ripper'?

'Jack the Ripper: A Bibliography and Review of the Literature' by Alexander Kelly and David Sharp, which also lists fiction, drama, films, music on Jack, though only up to 1995, is a good read.

Comment

Working...
                                X