Mary Kelly at Salvation Army Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    Yes. I was thinking exactly the same, Phil. That's why I asked the date of the war cry issue. Many contemporary articles referred to Eddowes as Kelly. In Peter Stubley's book, linked to in the first post, the original quote includes the name 'Kelly' but not 'Mary Kelly'
    Archives.org only has the Canadian War Cry, not the London ones. That's why I wasn't able to find the issue in question.

For the England War Cry for 1888, you probably have to go here in person:

William Booth College
    Denmark Hill
    London
    SE5 8BQ

Comment

I believe this is the James J. Cooke article from the War Cry. It is dated December 1 so he is probably talking about Mary Jane Kelly.

Staff-Captain Cooke, D.O., "London Slum Work. The Latest Whitechapel Murder," WC December 1, 1888, 4.
      http://books.google.ca/books?id=GVlu...=walker&f=true

Comment

Thanks MayBea
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Yes, I found Peter Stubley's source in his book and it is the same article. So it is definitely from Dec. 1st.

It is in footnote #126 marked a few paragraphs down from the "Kelly" quote from Stubley's book linked in my first post, Post #1.

Comment

'The War Cry', 1888 Ripper Article Titles & Dates

Hi everyone.

The Autumn 1888 editions of The War Cry that mention the Ripper murders are:

13 October, 1888;

17 November, 1888, 'Another Murder';

1 December, 1888, 'Latest Whitechapel Murder'.

Sorry, I haven't had time to look for the text of the articles; just found the dates and titles. My source is a book called 'Origins of the Salvation Army' By Norman H. Murdoch.

*I should mention, the sources are listed in a rather complicated way, so it's a bit confusing to tell which date belong to which title- like a run-on sentence with too many commas and semi-colons! Others might want to double check that I've grouped the titles & dates properly. Thanks.

So that's 1 article shortly after the deaths of Liz Stride and Catherine Eddowes on September 30, and 2 articles shortly after Mary Kelly's death on November 9.

I would expect that the Salvation Army in London (and elsewhere) keeps a library. Maybe somebody can make inquiries?

Thanks and best regards,
            Archaic
            Last edited by Archaic; 11-26-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

After I found the list in Jill Rappaport's, Giving Women, I found the specific issue reference in Peter Stubley's, 1888: London Murders in the Year of the Ripper.

Stubley has his footnotes out of order. The footnote for the War Cry article is actually two footnote numbers, two paragraphs down from the quote.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=QZ87...%201888&f=true

http://books.google.ca/books?id=QZ87...0cooke&f=false
              Last edited by MayBea; 11-27-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

If Stubley is reliable, then we can say the article about "Kelly" at the Salvation Army meeting, singing out of the same hymn book with "Captain Walker", was published on Dec. 1st, 1888.

Of course, this was a second-hand report from Staff-Captain James J. Cooke. A mistake on his part, confusing the "Kellys", is still possible...

I'm having trouble identifying Captain Walker. The Salvation Army was said to be employing a thousand women at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                  The Autumn 1888 editions of The War Cry that mention the Ripper murders are:

13 October, 1888;

1 December, 1888, 'Latest Whitechapel Murder'.

... My source is a book called 'Origins of the Salvation Army' By Norman H. Murdoch...Others might want to double check that I've grouped the titles & dates properly. Thanks.
                  Here are the dates and titles from both Murdoch and Stubley.

13 October, 1888; 'Within the Circle of the Whitechapel Murders'

1 December, 1888, 'London Slum Work, The Latest Whitechapel Murder'.

5 January 1889, 'Our Years Retrospective'
                  Last edited by MayBea; 11-28-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I have the above-listed articles.

Courtesy of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre
                    Attached Files

Comment

Courtesy of The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre
                      Attached Files

Comment

This article, from October 13, 1888, mentions a Captain W__, whom I believe would be Captain Walker.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Continued, with a conversation with the Captain and the Lieutenant.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's the year end review article from January 5, 1889.

The Mary Kelly story is repeated and another victim, I believe is Chapman, is mentioned.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                              I think the question of where to go on Sunday morning might hinge on travel distance, if the SA location happens to be closer.
                              The above S.F. Swift article two posts up has an interview with Captain Walker and she says that they were holding their Sunday service at a lodging house in George's Yard (second paragraph under The Reign of Fear).

The proximity, and the possibility that Walker tended to Mary after she suffered a beating, suggests reasons why Mary may have chosen the SA service over others.
                              Last edited by MayBea; 12-18-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                                The Dec. 29th, 1888, War Cry has a Captain Walker saying that God was leading her to Canada...

["We start with a rousing march down Queen Street where we held a short open-air stand. Inside we welcomed the English lasses who were received with hearty volleys....The strangers were called upon to testify and let as to now how they were getting on in their souls. Cpt. Walker said that God was leading her, and she had made up her mind to follow, she was going to love the Canadian people."]

I believe she was the one with whom Mary allegedly sang out of the same hymn book. I'll look for more references though to make sure.

https://archive.org/details/war-cry-1888_12_29M
                                We have been able to find this Captain Walker listed on a ship to Canada from Liverpool in November 1888 and then returning again on another ship from Liverpool in 1894, destination Revelstoke, B.C.

She is Mary Ann Walker, b. circa 1866. In 1888, it looks to me like her first name is given as Marie.

Comment

Working...
                                X