Visiting in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting in July

I have taken two vacations to Britain before in 2004 and 2008 (both times in September) and have plans to make it a trilogy in July this year. In '04 I went on Don Rumbelow's Ripper tour, and in '08 I both went on Phil Hutchinson's and did my own personal solo tour for an entire day that was very comprehensive and included two cemeteries but completely wore out my feet. This time I am traveling with a female friend who has had some past interest in the Ripper case but isn't as much of a buff as I am, and I'm planning to take her around and just show her a few of the sites on the evening of Thursday July 24th- the Polly Nicholls site (mainly because I want my picture taken next to the Whitechapel sign at the tube station), then down to the Aldgate/Spitalfields area to see the Martha Tabram, Catherine Eddowes, graffitto, and Mary Kelly sites, finishing at Mary's Corner and maybe a drink in the Ten Bells.

Questions- Have there been any major changes to any of these sites since 2008, or to access to them? I remember reading here some time ago that there were redevelopment plans for Mitre Square and that access to the Kelly site might have become restricted. Also, in July in London about what time does it get dark? We don't want to be out there too late, and I have my friend's peace of mind to think of in not being in scary and possibly dangerous areas after dark. I'm starting at the Nicholls site while it is still presumably light out, as that area as I recall it seems like it would be a good deal more concerning as to safety later on at night than the other area with its night life and multiple restaurants and such.
    Last edited by kensei; 05-08-2014, 03:22 AM.

I imagine it will be light until at least 9 pm.
    There is a lot of development in Durward Street due to rail projects.
    Mitre Square is also being redeveloped and 'Dorset Street' is fenced off at the moment I think. But besides that it will be fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
      I imagine it will be light until at least 9 pm.
      There is a lot of development in Durward Street due to rail projects.
      Mitre Square is also being redeveloped and 'Dorset Street' is fenced off at the moment I think. But besides that it will be fine...
      With redevelopment in Mitre Square, is the murder site still intact and accessible?

Comment

I believe so - it was last time I passed a few weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
          I believe so - it was last time I passed a few weeks ago
          Ok, thanks. I'm really looking forward to showing my friend that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
            With redevelopment in Mitre Square, is the murder site still intact and accessible?
            Mitre square is still fully accessible although there always seems to be plenty of scaffolding around at times to spoil the view/atmosphere somewhat.

Comment

I just got back from my trip, and had a rather hurried but successful mini-tour of Ripperville with my friend. We saw three or four tour groups along the way. The Nicholls site was the most changed with all the construction barricades but we were still able to stand on the murder site, and Mitre Square was only slightly the same way. Such a bummer that no one's able to get to the Mary Kelly site now as it is fenced off, but at least you can get within sight of it.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
                I just got back from my trip, and had a rather hurried but successful mini-tour of Ripperville with my friend. We saw three or four tour groups along the way. The Nicholls site was the most changed with all the construction barricades but we were still able to stand on the murder site, and Mitre Square was only slightly the same way. Such a bummer that no one's able to get to the Mary Kelly site now as it is fenced off, but at least you can get within sight of it.
                When the re-development of the market area, where Mary Jane's murder site was, is finished it may well be possible to get back on to the exact spot or at least a lot, lot nearer.

Comment

Working...
                X