Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing up in public

Hello, all.

In his 1910 autobiography From Constable To Commissioner, Henry Smith claimed that whoever scrawled the Goulston Street Graffito had been pursued to Dorset Street, and that a public sink was found which had bloody water in it, presumably from the killer stopping to wash his hands in it. This story seems not to have been reported anywhere prior to Smith's autobiography, and afterwards only once, in a 1912 edition of The People, which gives the tale as follows:

The assassin had wiped his hands on the missing apron, and, it was further discovered, had, with remarkable audacity, washed his hands at a sink up a close in Dorset-st., only a few yards from the street...
    Much has been made of this piece of information, particularly by those who posit Joseph Barnett as the Ripper, given the closeness of the sink to Miller's Court and Mary Kelly's murder site. I can find no independent confirmation of this prior to 1910, however.

My concern is not the Dorset Street sink so much - and I suspect this story is apocryphal - but rather a thought it brought to mind. This particular occurrence aside, I am aware that indoor plumbing was something at least relatively rare in the East End at the time, and that public bathhouses were the more usual way of washing one's self, either that or communal washbasins in the doss houses. Obviously this would present a problem for a blood-splattered murderer; even if the victim being on the ground kept him from getting too bloody, his hands surely would be covered in it - and, if you take any of the letters at all to be genuine, most of them make mention of the writer having blood on his hands at the time of their writing.

So, presumably, a public bath would be out. I can imagine the Ripper washing his hands in a doss house washbin a little more easily, but it would still likely be hard to find the privacy for it; you may have forty or fifty lodgers in any one building at any one time, so it seems to me that the communal basin would most always be in demand.

Which suggests, to me, that a public sink like the one on Dorset Street (though not necessarily that one in particular - I am not a Barnettite) must have been available to the Ripper. Counterintuitively, he would have had more privacy washing his hands in an outside public sink, under the cover of darkness, than he would have in an indoors washbin, and certainly more than in a public bath, which would presumably have hours of operation and would always be in business when it was open.

How many such sinks were there in the vicinity of the murders? I find no others mentioned in the material, and I'm completely ignorant about such day-to-day affairs of the East End unfortunate. But I think that, wherever he lived, it was probably close to an outdoors sink. If someone had a list of all the sinks in the Whitechapel/Spitalfields area at the time - admittedly an unlikely proposition - you could probably narrow down the Ripper's dwellings pretty easily.

Was the one on Dorset Street a rarity? Was there one on every street? On every block? Were they connected to certain kinds of buildings?

Just as a hypothetical, say there were ten such sinks in the Whitechapel/Spitalfields area. I wonder if you couldn't run a geographical regression of them, eliminate the ones furthest from any crime scene, and then find the one closest to the epicenter of the murders? I suspect you'd find a doss house or a hostel there, and that your killer would probably live in it.
    Last edited by Defective Detective; 10-01-2014, 09:04 PM.

I don't know how reliable Smith was, really. I don't know of public sinks but there was a philanthropic organisation 'The Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Society' that, from mid 19th century on, set out to provide good clean water for humans and cattle and horses throughout the metropolitan area.

There were about 1,200 troughs and simple public drinking fountains in London by the late 1880's. They were often set up opposite or near pubs. Temperance leaders approved of them because they were considered as offering a healthy alternative to alcohol. The 'fountains' were simple small basins with a granite base and a tap above. A chained cup was provided. Very hygenic! It may be one of these that Smith was referring to vis the bloody sink.

Comment

It's hard to picture the Ripper going to a public trough across from a pub to wash up; from my understanding, they usually began to open up around four or five in the morning, not much later than most of the killings. I should think it'd be too great a risk of being spotted, or of having someone notice blood in the water.

It's just my intuition, but looking for standalone sinks nearer to doss houses or apartments might be more profitable.

Comment

These were drinking places for humans, though, near pubs but not necessarily placed in main roads and thoroughfares. There was a sink attached to them and they were attached to waterworks by a tap. The troughs I mentioned were separate, were for animals like horses and were placed in main streets.

Comment

The irony is that the night of GSG when the sink was apparently used by the killer, the killer had no need to use a sink. It had been raining off and on. He would have done just as well with the puddles collecting around town. Or even run off from down spouts.
          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I don't think he would have washed with run off from down spouts. That would have been rather nefarious.

Comment

I don't see why he could not use some sort of public 'sink' etc. The murderer I gather had more then enough time to escape, wash up etc without the need to worry that he would be caught seeing as the door to Millers Court was locked/shut. And if the murderer had been watching Kelly closely he would know that no one was expected to return home to catch the ripper for a start, let alone worry that someone might spot him washing his hands.

If someone did see him washing his hands, then he could make up some excuse.

Also I think the basin under the bed may not have been a toilet, but perhaps a washing basin. If it was filled with water then perhaps the killer may have used that to wash with.
              Last edited by Natasha; 10-02-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I don't think you'd necessarily need a basin. There were public water pumps at various locations about the city. Several maps of Miller's Court show a pump in the court near Kelly's room.

Dr. Snow's map of of the distribution of cases in the 1854 cholera epidemic shows public pumps in the area affected. somewhat north of Picadilly Circus. http://www.udel.edu/johnmack/frec480...holera_map.png . That gives some idea of how pumps were placed, albeit in a better part of town, and several decades earlier. I can't imagine very many people would have bothered to look out their window at the sound of someone using the water pump late at night.

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                I don't know how reliable Smith was, really. I don't know of public sinks but there was a philanthropic organisation 'The Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Society' that, from mid 19th century on, set out to provide good clean water for humans and cattle and horses throughout the metropolitan area.

The Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association continues to this day as the Drinking Fountain Association. http://drinkingfountains.org It would not surprise me to find that they had maps of the pumps, troughs and fountains of Whitechapel in 1888.
                - Ginger

Comment

Why would he need any of that if he had the Aldgate Pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Defective Detective View Post

Was the one on Dorset Street a rarity? Was there one on every street? On every block? Were they connected to certain kinds of buildings?
                    It was the norm to have a communal water supply outside.

Recall Hanbury St. and the communal tap at the end of the yard, and next door the water closet visited by Cadosch, also at the end of the yard.
                    The water supply likely ran across several properties through the backyards.
                    I did come across an article, though it concerned Bethnal Green not Whitechapel, but it mentioned the fact that rented properties had no internal water source, the city provided a common tap for the tenants.
                    I'm just not sure about the sink, the tap was provided yes, but a sink?
                    Perhaps the sink was the rarity, but the tap was common.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                      I don't think he would have washed with run off from down spouts. That would have been rather nefarious.
                      nefarious?
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Sorry, I meant quixotic.

Comment

You know, I was reading the FBI profile a month ago (getting a little bit caught up on this stuff) and it mentions something about the killer cleaning his clothes. And I wondered, how did the killer clean his clothes? Where? Or did he just dispose of them? And if he disposed of them, wouldn't that mean he had at least some money (i.e. could a poor man in the East End afford four pairs of new clothes in two months)?

In short, I think washing is an interesting area of research.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                            You know, I was reading the FBI profile a month ago (getting a little bit caught up on this stuff) and it mentions something about the killer cleaning his clothes. And I wondered, how did the killer clean his clothes? Where? Or did he just dispose of them? And if he disposed of them, wouldn't that mean he had at least some money (i.e. could a poor man in the East End afford four pairs of new clothes in two months)?

In short, I think washing is an interesting area of research.
                            This got me thinking about a book I had read about grave robbers in London in the 1830's(The Italian Boy: Murder and Grave Robbery in 1830s London)

"a jewish clothes-dealer who lived in saffron hill had come forward to tell the superintendent Thomas and Minshull that four men came into his shop in West Street, Smithfield at half past two on the afternoon of Friday 4th November to exchange a pair of bloodstained corduroy breeches and waistcoat for clean versions of the same..."

Firstly I believe I read in Victorian London Street Life in Historic Photographs (it is a book compiled by Victorian photographer John Thomson), which he photographs the working class demographic and interviews the people he photographed, that there were areas in London reknowned for their second hand clothing shops. I also read that these clothes dealers would sometimes break up dresses etc and create waistcoats out of them (basically cloth recycling)

Therefore cheap second hand clothing was probably available and more the norm than 'buying four new pairs of clothes in two months.

He could probably get rid of the clothes (Either exchanging them to a clothes dealer like the grave robbers did (which would be risky)) or simply burning them (like with the Kelly murder)

He could then go out and presumeably pick up something fairly cheaply from these second hand clothing places

Regards,

Skip
                            Last edited by SkipToTheEnd; 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Second hand clothes markets were prevelent. Petticoat Lane fo one. Most Londo street markets would sell second hand clothes. Seven Dials near Covent Garden was famous for its second hand clobber. The poor could not afford new clothes. Those who worked in the rag trade probably had access to new stuff. The second hand clothes shops also operated on 'tick', paying off, a bit at a time.
                              There were big laundries for the washing of sheets etc, many girls who went to industrial schools or homes for fallen girls were trained in laundry work.There were washerwomen who operated as individuals, these were patronised by the better off working class, clerks etc. The bagwash.

The poor would need a sink or a bath, running water, a copper to boil the water in. a washboard, laundry soap, and a packet of blue for the whites plus starch. And if you were lucky a mangle. My gran still did washing like that in the fifies.Itwas backbreaking. The council flat she lived in in Kings Cross had a separate room attached for doing laundry [ the flats were built in the 30s]

Even Mary did not have those facilities, running cold water and a tin bath.

The lodging houses probably had coppers for boiling water.

Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
                              X