The London City Missionary in Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The London City Missionary in Whitechapel

Here is information on a London City Missionary who spent his whole career in the East End, starting in 1881, and who may be the City Missionary quoted in the papers regarding Mary Kelly and mentioned with regard to Catherine Eddowes.

His name is Charles Pateman.

The London City Mission Magazine, Volumes 80-81
    Seeley, Jackson, and Halliday, 1915
    Google Books, snippet view

Charles Pateman born c1850 in Wooton Bedfordshire.
    In 1872 he married Harriet Daniels, in Harrow
    In 1880 he joined London City Mission
    In 1881 he was living at 2 Layfield Cottages, Harrow next to the Jolly Gardeners pub.
    In 1891 he was living with his family at 3 Hassett Street Homerton Hackney.

Children
    Sarah 1869
    Eliza 1875
    Annie 1880
    Albert 1888 b. Spitalfields

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
      Charles Pateman born c1850 in Wooton Bedfordshire.
      In 1872 he married Harriet Daniels, in Harrow
      In 1880 he joined London City Mission
      In 1881 he was living at 2 Layfield Cottages, Harrow next to the Jolly Gardeners pub.
      In 1891 he was living with his family at 3 Hassett Street Homerton Hackney.

Children
      Sarah 1869
      Eliza 1875
      Annie 1880
      Albert 1888 b. Spitalfields
      G'day Maybea

Sarah was born 3 years before he married Harriet?

Unusual for someone working in a mission.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Good eye spotting that, GUT.

It looks like she's a step daughter. She was born Sarah Ann Tombs. Her mother was Harriet Tombs when she married Charles in 1872.

Harriet and Sarah's previous family situation would be in the 1871 Census.

Comment

Good eye spotting that, GUT.

It looks like she's a step daughter. She was born Sarah Ann Tombs. Her mother was Harriet Tombs when she married Charles in 1872.

Harriet and Sarah's previous family situation would be in the 1871 Census.
          Thanks Maybea just couldn't see a 19 year old Missionary with a little one out of wedlock, at least not in 1869.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

from Charles Booth Online Archive

B227, pp130-145 Printed report of interview with Mr C. Pateman, superintendent of Spitalfields Lodging House Band, and missionary to lodging houses in East London, 87 Old Montague Street. Contains Spitalfields Lodging House Band admission ticket, London City Mission contribution voucher and, Spitalfields Lodging House Band, annual report, 1897, 8 March 1898.

Comment

Here Charles is recorded as a witness at a marriage in Christchurch, Spitalfields of a couple from Thrawl Street, Feb. 14, 1887, Valentines Day.

Comment

I traced the Missionary's wife's timeline of marriages. Her first husband was George Tombs who died in 1871.

Marriages Dec 1868
                DANIELS Harriett Kensington 1a 95
                TOMBS George Kensington

Births Jun 1869
                TOMBS Sarah Ann Hendon

Deaths Jun 1871
                TOMBS George 24 Hendon

Marriages Sep 1872
                Pateman Charles Hendon 3a 162
                TOMBS Harriet Hendon

Comment

Here Charles is recorded as a witness at a marriage in Christchurch, Spitalfields of a couple from Thrawl Street, Feb. 14, 1887, Valentines Day.

Of course he may simply have been the first person they could find as a witness, being a Missionary he was on hand, so to speak.
                  G U T

Comment

I traced the Missionary's wife's timeline of marriages. Her first husband was George Tombs who died in 1871.

Marriages Dec 1868
                    DANIELS Harriett Kensington 1a 95
                    TOMBS George Kensington

Births Jun 1869
                    TOMBS Sarah Ann Hendon

Deaths Jun 1871
                    TOMBS George 24 Hendon

Marriages Sep 1872
                    Pateman Charles Hendon 3a 162
                    TOMBS Harriet Hendon

G'day Maybea

Apropos nothing, do you have a year of birth for Harriett?
                    G U T

Comment

The 1881 Census has Harriet born c.1847 in Greenford, Middlesex.
                      The 1871 Census has her born c. 1845 in Greenford, Middlesex.
                      I was unable to pinpoint her on the Birth Index with this information.

But she's definitely older than Charles.

Births Dec 1849

PATEMAN Charles Bedford

Re. the marriage certificate: Charles is actually added on as a second male witness. There are already two witnesses named. It think this is unusual.

The certificate is the one for the marriage of the niece of the brother of the Mary Jane Kelly from Liverpool. That's how I connected the name to Whitechapel. (It seems to be a fruitful line of research if you ask me...)

If he's the City Missionary from the press reports, then he knew the real Kelly and probably Eddowes.

Comment

G'day Maybea

I've seen qute a few with three witnesses in my Family research, so I'm not sure that it means anything. But would love any light anyone could shed on it.

I was suspecting Harrett may have been older than Charles, more to the point not much younger as he was only 19 when her 1st daughter was born assuming her to have been conceived in wedlock [a big assumption if not for the Missionary connection].
                        G U T

Comment

Here's the proof that Charles Pateman IS the City Missionary of the press reports.

The Missionary says he's been working in the East End for 7 years and we know Charles started in 1881.

Daily News
                          United Kingdom
                          12 November 1888

"You have been at this work a good many years?" "Seven years in this neighbourhood." "And do you find the state of things improving in any degree?" "Well, I think there is a little improvement - some little improvement. I have been out and about the streets at all hours, and have sometimes found a shocking state of things... http://www.casebook.org/press_report...l?printer=true
                          Attached Files

Comment

From the same Daily News press report:

...Out again, and once more there is a plea for the missionaries' aid. Her sister, alas! has got into trouble. Oh if the missionary would but try to get them married! "A very common task," says the missionary. "During my seven years I suppose I have managed to get a couple of hundred married under such circumstances at least." Away again up into a comfortable, clean, and tidy little room in a block of model dwellings. Here is an exceedingly respectable looking young woman, who has been helped out of this lodging house life. Her husband had committed forgery, and she was plunged from comfort and respectability down into the deepest depth. Just in time they found her, and helped her up again, and here she is in a decent little home and work found for her. One who has dipped here and there into that awful lodging house life can well understand the fervent gratitude of this poor girl, who hardly seems to know which to be most thankful for - the help out of the lodging house kitchen or the recovery of her only child from bronchitis. "We keep on dragging them out," says the missionary, "but others keep on streaming in." What this part of London would be without such work Heaven only knows.

Comment

Working...
                            X