Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Jack the Ripper' Candy

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
    Somebody produced a Jack the Ripper sweet in the shape of a knife shortly after the murders. Nothing is new.
    Hi Paul.

A Ripper sweet in the shape of a knife? Wow.

Freud would have a field day.

Would you happen to have an advertisement or illustration of the candy, or a link to further information?

Do you know how the general public c. 1888 reacted to 'Ripper knife candy'?

I'm giving further thought to the rest of your post, which I find very interesting.

Thanks very much,
    Bunny

Comment

• I see that RE is a 'revered Ripperologist.' Jigger me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
        I see that RE is a 'revered Ripperologist.' Jigger me!
        I think he likes himself.
        Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
          I see that RE is a 'revered Ripperologist.' Jigger me!
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
            Russell Edwards seems like a villain straight out of a Hollywood movie, and jari is of course the generic evil henchman scientist. I can't believe these guys exist in real life
            Hi Rocky.

I know you feel strongly about this, but I don't agree with your exaggerated characterization.

I don't think Mr, Edwards and Dr. Louhelainen seem like Hollywood villains at all; I think they seem like human beings who appear to have made some mistakes.

All humans are fallible. Mistakes are part of the human condition. Many philosophers say it's what you do after making a mistake that matters the most.

From what I've seen and read thus far I may not agree with some of their choices, but I still hope to hear their responses to the questions that have been raised.

Best regards,
            Archaic

Comment

• IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE BEEN MISLED WHEN YOU PURCHASED MR EDWARDS BOOK EMAIL AMAZON AND SEE IF THEY WILL REFUND YOUR MONEY .I purchased the" fifth victim " and when I read it and discoverd the story was made up I contacted amazon who removed it from my kindle account and refunded my money.
              Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                Hi Rocky.

I know you feel strongly about this, but I don't agree with your exaggerated characterization.

I don't think Mr, Edwards and Dr. Louhelainen seem like Hollywood villains at all; I think they seem like human beings who appear to have made some mistakes.

All humans are fallible. Mistakes are part of the human condition. Many philosophers say it's what you do after making a mistake that matters the most.

From what I've seen and read thus far I may not agree with some of their choices, but I still hope to hear their responses to the questions that have been raised.

Best regards,
                Archaic
                I agree, Archaic, but it's also easy to sympathise with Rocky. As you say, the most important thing is what somebody does after a mistake has been found.

So far, the answer seems to be nothing - except blame an unnamed person connected to the 'Ripper industry' and the Independent for having an 'agenda', and claiming a million books sold.

Rocky seems angry, and I don't blame him.
                Mick Reed

Comment

• Amazon.UK Review pending approval

If I could I'd give this book a minus five rating; I really would do just that...

The account of how the author acquired the "shawl" is plainly and entertainingly written, (the fact that it is a supposedly long-discredited artifact being quite skillfully glossed over by the author)...the reading is easy throughout...alas the evidence is not so...

I bought the book on the basis of the alleged DNA evidence which supposedly proved that Catherine Eddowes (the unfortunate victim of one of Jack the Ripper's attacks), was linked via the shawl to Aaron Kosminski...

However, I'd contend the author has been, to say the least, over-optimistic in his claims, and the publisher, far less than responsible in verifying their likelihood prior to publishing...

A bunch of amateurs on the "Casebook Jack the Ripper" site have drawn attention to significant shortcomings in the DNA evidence linking Eddowes (the victim) to the garment...and their misgivings have been confirmed by four leading DNA experts...including a couple of those who devised the software alleged to prove the claim...this gives rise to serious doubts over the competency of the allegedly expert scientist quoted by the author (a) on the grounds of DNA nonclemature, and (b) on the grounds of mathematical ineptitude...any would-be author should have had the decency to confirm such controversial findings; any would-be publisher should have undertaken some elementary research, prior to depriving a gullible public of it's money.

Furthermore, with respect to the alleged evidence linking the Shawl to Aaron Kosminski, the mininimal evidence presented, so far, marginally favours an MtDNA link with a non-Jewish suspect, rather than a Jewish one...hence no evidence vis a vis Kosminski...

This evidence of rebuttal has apparently been presented to both the author, and the scientist quoted, and so far has not been even acknowledged, other than a reference to "nutters"...with respect to which I have to express serious doubts at to whether the scientist concerned is fit to serve in his current position with an allegedly respectable university, or to present allegedly expert opinion in court...

I'd hesitate to label this book a conscious fraud, (I don't think that was at all either party's original intention), but I don't think their continuing silence does either of them any credit, and until they make their position clear, I'd seriously suggest hanging on to your money...indeed I'm seriously considering asking for my money back...
                  All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                    All the best

Dave
                    Go Bognor!
                    Mick Reed

Comment

All the best

Dave
                      Thanks Dave a very truthfull and honest review however I think you could have condensed the review into one word all the best Jason p.s I love you xxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Last edited by pinkmoon; 10-23-2014, 03:52 PM.
                      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                        Thanks Dave a very truthfull and honest review however I think you could have condensed the review into one word all the best Jason p.s I love you xxxxxxxxxxxx
                        What word would that be?
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

All the best

Dave
                          I note that your review is pending approval. I'll be interested to see if they publish it.
                          G U T

Comment

• Hi GUT

I've no way of telling at present as reviews always, initially, show up on the screens of those that post them...so they can be edited...However, if you or someone else were to access amazon.uk and check the reviews section you could advise whether it'd appeared yet....

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Hi GUT

I've no way of telling at present as reviews always, initially, show up on the screens of those that post them...so they can be edited...However, if you or someone else were to access amazon.uk and check the reviews section you could advise whether it'd appeared yet....

Cheers

Dave
                              It's there Dave, well done.
                              Mick Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                                It's there Dave, well done.
                                Must gone up in the last few minutes. Good on Amazon more morals than some others related to this book.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X