Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berner Street help

Hello all,

I have a few questions about Berner Street. As I can ascertain it runs North to South off Commercial Street. When I look at a modern map (on Google maps) I see that I see that it is intersected by Fairclough Street which is quite close to the back of the school and current scene of the site (which seems to be under construction these days).

Now when I go to an old map: http://forum.casebook.org/attachment...mpd=1284667427

I see two things. One is that I cannot see Fairclough Street but rather North Street. Is this the old name for Fairclough Street? North is so generic I cannot find out online.

Further it seems today that lower Berner Street used to run to Ellen Street to the South but in modern maps this is no longer the case. I'm just curious when that happened.

I'm also curious where people think Jack would have went after Dutfield's Yard? It is the most southern murder scene, just below Mitre Square, but he makes his famous graffiti detour.

Do people he ran back North up Berner Street or perhaps through North/Fairclough Street and up Back Church Lane?

And then East toward the Whitechapel Road?

Sugden has a report from the Star newspaper, which stated that it had heard from two sources that a man passing through Church Lane at about half past one, saw a male sitting on a doorstep and wiping his hands. Apparently he tried to conceal his face when he saw he was being watched. He was described as wearing a short jacket and a sailor's hat.

Now the time is obviously wrong (though hardly anybody had watches) and it is a newspaper report, but, something to keep in mind perhaps.

Comment

Having done it on Sunday......I wonder if through Fairclough/Backchurch/Hooper St. into Leman St is a possibility?.......One thing that did strike me is how compact the whole area is...The old photos make the streets look wider/longer than they actually are.....And it's not so far away from the "Core area" as some books suggest.....I think that map pre-dates the murders.....No Goods yard & Commercial Rd still in construction?
      Last edited by Steve S; 10-23-2014, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        Sugden has a report from the Star newspaper, which stated that it had heard from two sources that a man passing through Church Lane at about half past one, saw a male sitting on a doorstep and wiping his hands. Apparently he tried to conceal his face when he saw he was being watched. He was described as wearing a short jacket and a sailor's hat.

Now the time is obviously wrong (though hardly anybody had watches) and it is a newspaper report, but, something to keep in mind perhaps.
        Very interesting, I will try to find out the name and yes timing with witnesses, especially then, is always a bit loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
          Having done it on Sunday......I wonder if through Fairclough/Backchurch/Hooper St. into Leman St is a possibility?.......One thing that did strike me is how compact the whole area is...The old photos make the streets look wider/longer than they actually are.....And it's not so far away from the "Core area" as some books suggest.....I think that map pre-dates the murders.....No Goods yard & Commercial Rd still in construction?
          This seems a real possibility. It brings one right up to Aldgate. I have noticed on google maps how tight the streets feel for sure. How long did it take you to do that route even at what I presume was a normal pace?

I think that map is indeed old. I'll look for a newer one.

Comment

I found a better map. It is indeed Fairclough St. in 1894 and so presumably also in 1888. It does go directly down to Ellen Street but I don't think that makes a huge difference.

Comment

Hi all

I find this site (recommended on Casebook a couple of years back) very useful

http://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/Str...reet_Names.htm

All the best

Dave

Comment

This is Booth's map 0f 1889.

Steve

Comment

Thank you both.

Comment

Also, not sure this is useful to you, but in Dew's memoirs he says that Berner Street had been reformed, and was formerly known as Tiger's Bay.
                    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I walked some of these routes with a go pro camera in august this year. There are 4 videos of the area you are talking about, 10,11,12 and 13. This link is the walk from Berner Street throughout to Mitre Sq via Backchurch Lane. On one of the other vids I went down Berner St through to Ellen St - it now runs via a footpath between two blocks of flats.

Henriques (Berner) Street to Mitre SquareTimed walk between Berner St and Mitre Sq sites via Commercial Road, Whitechapel High St and Aldgate

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                        Also, not sure this is useful to you, but in Dew's memoirs he says that Berner Street had been reformed, and was formerly known as Tiger's Bay.
                        Oh wow, this is absolutely useful, exactly what I wish I could do myself (one day I hope!).

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                          Oh yes, every bit of info helps. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about this specific murder beginning with the area.

Comment

Anybody know if there were any pubs coming down Cannon St. Road between Whitechapel Road and Commercial Road? Or what the main pubs on Whitechapel Road surrounding that turn down south were?

Comment

'At 11:45pm on 29 September, William Marshall, a labourer, was standing on his doorstep when he saw a woman he later identified as Elizabeth Stride. She was on the pavement opposite No 68, Berner Street, between Christian and Boyd Streets, three doors down from where Marshall lived.'

One more, between Christian and Boyd Streets would put this further down the road right? So beyond Fairclough Street? And then they walked toward Ellen Steet. This suggests movement away from the scene, no?

Comment

Working...
                              X