A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Just in case anyone has been worrying about these figures (:-)) there are more issues of nomenclature here. Apparently a more standard description of the Russian sequence would be:

Hypervariable region 1:
    T16126C - 12.6%
    A16163G - 1.63%
    C16186T - 1.51%
    16188T - 0.633%
    16189C - 27.3%

C16294T - 10.4%
    T16519C - 61.2%
    After correspondence with Caligo, I think I should take back "more standard". But it's equivalent, and is recognised by HaploGrep, which the original description wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Griffith aka gryff View Post
      As an aside, I'm not sure where you got the "JtR tours for 6 quid per person" from as the upcoming "Halloween Jack the Ripper Experience with Russell Edwards" is 25 quid a person - though it does include a meal.
      Enjoy up to 60% off on all hotel bookings for top destinations only at Reservations.com. Make your hotel reservations now to save more.

With meal 32 quid and this is without a meal:

Take the Definitive Jack the Ripper Tour with the man that identified Jack the Ripper himself. Relive the events that took place in the Autumn of Terror (£6.75 per person when booked on this website)
      And these are the official tours!

Comment

• At £6.75 it's almost tempting to organise a group outing by a posse of inquisitive Ripperologists, armed with notebooks and higher-tech recording devices.

Comment

• Originally posted by alkuluku View Post
          http://www.jacktherippertoursandstor...s/CategoryID/1

With meal 32 quid and this is without a meal:

And these are the official tours!

LOL. Looks like he now has two "official websites" alkuluku.

Official Website 1

Official Website 2

I think website 2 is newer as it is the one with the"one million copies sold" claim

RE, if nothing else, is prolific. We may have a book sequel by next month

cheers, gryff

Comment

• "We may have a book sequel by next month."

'Renaming Jack The Ripper'?

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Griffith aka gryff View Post
              LOL. Looks like he now has two "official websites" alkuluku.

Official Website 1

Official Website 2

I think website 2 is newer as it is the one with the"one million copies sold" claim
              Yes, I think you're right. It also has a new post dated yesterday in the section entitled "What the World's Press are saying about Russell Edwards". Curiously, it doesn't say anything about what the world's press is currently saying about Russell Edwards.

I think that as time goes on the refusal to acknowledge a clear error does, in effect, become indistinguishable from fraud.

Comment

• Queasy

The Official Jack the Ripper Meal and Tour: http://www.jacktherippertoursandstor.../ProductID/324

I just read this link, and the concept of a 'Jack the Ripper Meal' made me feel instantly sick to my stomach.

It sounds so banal and McDonalds-y, like "Jack the Ripper Happy Meal".

What's next, 'Ed Gein Meal', 'Ted Bundy Meal', 'Alfred Packer Meal'?

I checked the store and it sells "Jack the Ripper Goggles" - ?? I don't get it.http://www.jacktherippertoursandstor.../ProductID/318

"Jack the Ripper Milk Chocolate Bar":http://www.jacktherippertoursandstor.../ProductID/303

I'd be very interested to hear the reaction of children to a serial killer-branded candy bar. (If there have been any interviews with children or parents please post or pm me the link. Thank you.)

Anybody else feel nostalgic for the days of Willy Wonka?

Best regards,
                Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Yes, I think you're right. It also has a new post dated yesterday in the section entitled "What the World's Press are saying about Russell Edwards". Curiously, it doesn't say anything about what the world's press is currently saying about Russell Edwards.

I think that as time goes on the refusal to acknowledge a clear error does, in effect, become indistinguishable from fraud.
                  How shameless this bloke is? The web site is as tacky as they come. If anyone has been to the shop you can review it on Trip Advisor. I was very tempted to, as an excuse to say what I thought about the book, but since you have to attest that you've really been there, that would have made me (almost) as bad as RE.

And yes, Chris. The F-word seems less inappropriate now.
                  Last edited by mickreed; 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM.
                  Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Somebody produced a Jack the Ripper sweet in the shape of a knife shortly after the murders. Nothing is new.

The difference between Jack the Ripper and, say, Ed Gein, is that Jack the Ripper very quickly passed into the realms of fiction/folklore; This unreal Jack inspired novels, plays, radio dramas, movies, TV programmes... This unreal Jack is what is celebrated in pub names, walks, Ripper Tipple drinks, and all sorts of stuff just like you'll find in the Sherlock Holmes museum. That's what the walk and the dinner is all about. A Dracula walk followed by a dinner with all the trappings of Halloween is taken for what it is intended to be, not as recalling Vlad the Impaler.

Comment

• As I understand it Website 2 is the "current" one, he jetisoned the first because it is named "tours and store" and my understanding is the shop is now closed.

It seems strange to me to have both sites live though, and even stranger to choose this particular moment to close the shop and set up a new website. Someone some time ago called it a "smash and grab" and I am beginning to think they are right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        "We may have a book sequel by next month."

'Renaming Jack The Ripper'?

Comment

• Yuk!

Mick Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                            Somebody produced a Jack the Ripper sweet in the shape of a knife shortly after the murders. Nothing is new.

The difference between Jack the Ripper and, say, Ed Gein, is that Jack the Ripper very quickly passed into the realms of fiction/folklore; This unreal Jack inspired novels, plays, radio dramas, movies, TV programmes... This unreal Jack is what is celebrated in pub names, walks, Ripper Tipple drinks, and all sorts of stuff just like you'll find in the Sherlock Holmes museum. That's what the walk and the dinner is all about. A Dracula walk followed by a dinner with all the trappings of Halloween is taken for what it is intended to be, not as recalling Vlad the Impaler.
                            I think there's a difference, Paul. And sure, nothing is new.

Some aspects of RE's activities may well fit into the 'unreal Jack' theme that you refer to. But RE's site contains numerous references to the 'real Jack, that is AK. He even has a page

In which the 'real Jack' confesses all and then asks us to find out more from RE - the keeper of the truth.

I'm sorry, Paul, but the only aspect of the book that pointed (possibly) to AK was the DNA, and that is wanting. I prefer to respect the opinions of four leading and international DNA experts to that of one whose expertise, while surely considerable, could be unmasked by a few amateurs on Casebook.

It's a case of integrity which should always trump business. The silence since 19 October has been deafening. Until that silence is broken, then I can find nothing to say in RE's support.

And is it acceptable to claim a million sales of the book if it's not right? It may be right, but it seems very unlikely.
                            Last edited by mickreed; 10-23-2014, 12:37 PM.
                            Mick Reed

Comment

• Russell Edwards seems like a villain straight out of a Hollywood movie, and jari is of course the generic evil henchman scientist. I can't believe these guys exist in real life

Comment

• How to quickly sell a million

According to Novelrank, the ebook is selling like hot cakes - 134 total in nearly two months in UK

Sales rankings for the hardback are even worse than a few days ago.

It's going to be hard to hit a million sales at this rate. But wait, it's already there. Que?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by mickreed; 10-23-2014, 01:48 PM.
                                Mick Reed

Comment

Working...
                                X