A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peter Griffith aka gryff View Post
    Unfortunately, it is cheap filler content. Pad out an issue with what amounts to advertising that looks like news.

Appreciate your cool approach, as opposed to rabid not trendy, to issues on here GUT.

cheers, gryff
    G'day Gryff

Don't worry I can get rabid.

But thanks.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
      Hello Mick and Gut,

Mediawatch last week covered the topic of the Daily Mail's recycling.
      Just watched it Dusty. Thanks.

Bloody shameless. RE certainly went to the right paper to break his 'story'.
      Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
        G'day Mick

I am really shocked that they're not shouting from the rooftop "We stuffed it".

But boy isn't RE's page busy [not].
        I would shout it. There's a book in it surely.

Confessions of Seeker after Truth, or How I stuffed up but still made loads.
        Mick Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
          He's sure not talking about the latest news on his Facebook page

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

For that matter, neither is JL

https://www.facebook.com/Dr.Jari.Louhelainen

University profs with Facebook pages - and pretty trivial at that

I'm getting very, very old

cheers, gryff

Comment

• Shame..

Originally posted by Peter Griffith aka gryff View Post
            University profs with Facebook pages - and pretty trivial at that

I'm getting very, very old

cheers, gryff
            Hi Gryff,

Well, RE's not facing the critics but he's shamelessly giving out Ripper mugs and Ripper chocolate bars!
            That guy never misses an opportunity does he?

Amanda

Comment

• They're eviscerated

Scientist who identified DNA found on victim's shawl as belonging to barber Aaron Kominski made a 'fundamental error,' experts say.
              Mick Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                And some of those commenting sound that they'd like to do something that sounds a bit like eviscerate Edwards.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                  Hi Gryff,

Well, RE's not facing the critics but he's shamelessly giving out Ripper mugs and Ripper chocolate bars!
                  That guy never misses an opportunity does he?

Amanda
                  As I posted earlier, I was appalled by the Lip Balm There is one word that comes to my mind Amanda - well actually two words - TACKY TAT

cheers, gryff

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Griffith aka gryff View Post
                    As I posted earlier, I was appalled by the Lip Balm There is one word that comes to my mind Amanda - well actually two words - TACKY TAT

cheers, gryff
                    Yeah but he does have Black Jelly beans so he can't be all bad.
                    G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Yeah but he does have Black Jelly beans so he can't be all bad.
                      Gut,

What's happened to all those who said you can't argue with the science? Have they carked it from a surfeit of black jbs?
                      Mick Reed

Comment

• scarpering

Hello Mick.

"What's happened to all those who said you can't argue with the science?"

Well, that's what I want to know. After being subjected to a steady diet of "provenance means nothing since her DNA is on the shawl" it seems that the proponents have scarpered.

Just as well--those who shout loudest about science often understand it least.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                          Hello Mick.

Well, that's what I want to know. After being subjected to a steady diet of "provenance means nothing since her DNA is on the shawl" it seems that the proponents have scarpered.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          I am not sure who, if anyone, actually said that. Perhaps you can post some quotes.

I may have said something like "provenance means nothing since IF her DNA is on the shawl"... which I still stand by.

RH

Comment

• Are you suggesting that those who should loudest about their mastery of the intricacies of the English language often understand it the least?

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

"If, as the book is claiming, Catherine Eddowes was one of approximately twenty Londoners living in 1888, that could have deposited the strand of mtDNA that was extracted from a presumably apparent blood stain on the 'shawl'; then there is a distinct possibility that the garment was in Mitre Square on the morning of 30 September, 1888, regardless of its exclusion from the historical record."

The thread in which I made the above statement is closed, so I am unable to utilize the quote function as a direct link; but I think you'll find that my proclamation was about as bold as any that have been made by the standing members of this community.

Straw-man argumentation doesn't become you, Lynn; and neither does your inclination to sneer at a discipline that is based entirely upon trial and error.

A renowned expert has apparently made a sophomoric error. That shouldn't give rise to feelings of vindication or inclinations to chortle.

My celebrations are always less than exuberant whenever the other side scores an own goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                                Are you suggesting that those who should loudest about their mastery of the intricacies of the English language often understand it the least?
                                The usage of "whom", by some around here (cough, cough), most definitely needs to be revisited.

Comment

Working...
                                X