This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
    Dear, God. The superhuman, all-seeing, all-knowing, genius Ripper. My favorite.
    Could just be that the Ripper was very familiar with the East End, as I believe he was. You'll recall the spot Polly Nichols was killed at was considered by Robert Paul - who walked that street daily - to be a regular spot for muggers and whatnot.

Another thing to consider is that most of the victims were not known to the residents or constables in the area in which they were murdered. Mitre Square was not Eddowes' beat, Berner Street not Liz's, etc.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      Could just be that the Ripper was very familiar with the East End, as I believe he was. You'll recall the spot Polly Nichols was killed at was considered by Robert Paul - who walked that street daily - to be a regular spot for muggers and whatnot.

Another thing to consider is that most of the victims were not known to the residents or constables in the area in which they were murdered. Mitre Square was not Eddowes' beat, Berner Street not Liz's, etc.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      Hi Tom ,

Eddowes had been arrested in Aldgate a few hours before she went back there and met Jack.

Liz had connections to the Swedish Church in Princes Square in St Georges.

MJK was killed where she lived.

Were Paul's comments specifically about Bucks Row? I wouldn't have thought so. If you go there today and then move on to Brick Lane, following Paul's route to work, they are worlds apart, even though on the map they appear close by.

MrB
      Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-23-2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
        And yet many of the victims lived or frequented flower&dean street. Sounds like the killer knew them from there. Do you know off hand any pubs that some of the girls were known to frequent there?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
          Rocky,

So to add to his encyclopaedic knowledge of police beats and work routes we must add the bladder and bowel movements of 29 Hanbury Street?

I take it back, he deserves his top hat and silk lined cloak .

MrB
          Perhaps he had a relative in that building? IMO the ripper lives or works atleast near one of the murder sites. I think if the ripper knew it could act quick and get inside because he was in his comfort zone. That would be my theory
          Last edited by RockySullivan; 09-23-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            Hi Tom ,

Eddowes had been arrested in Aldgate a few hours before she went back there and met Jack.

Liz had connections to the Swedish Church in Princes Square in St Georges.

MJK was killed where she lived.

Were Paul's comments specifically about Bucks Row? I wouldn't have thought so. If you go there today and then move on to Brick Lane, following Paul's route to work, they are worlds apart, even though on the map they appear close by.

MrB
            He was reported as talking about that spot in Buck's Row. Perhaps the stable gates were often left open? That would make it a great spot for thugs to lie in wait for passerby.

I'm sure the women were all over the East End, I'm just going by the records.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
              And yet many of the victims lived or frequented flower&dean street. Sounds like the killer knew them from there. Do you know off hand any pubs that some of the girls were known to frequent there?
              Based on my research, Stride and Eddowes both likely worked as cleaner women for the tenants of the Rothchild buildings. Residents of F&D Street were also known to frequent the Jewish baths on Goulston Street. There were a lot of pubs in the vicinity. But Eddowes and Stride had lived on the same street since the early 1880s, so they must have known each other at least by sight. Not to say that has anything at all to do with their murders though.

The best connection between most of the victims I've been able to find thus far is with Pearly Poll and the landlords. And Stride and Eddowes, oddly enough, are the two victims I don't have a firm connection with to Pearly Poll.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Edwards is counting on that before the real results are in he has already sold his bookz

Comment

Based on my research, Stride and Eddowes both likely worked as cleaner women for the tenants of the Rothchild buildings. Residents of F&D Street were also known to frequent the Jewish baths on Goulston Street. There were a lot of pubs in the vicinity. But Eddowes and Stride had lived on the same street since the early 1880s, so they must have known each other at least by sight. Not to say that has anything at all to do with their murders though.

The best connection between most of the victims I've been able to find thus far is with Pearly Poll and the landlords. And Stride and Eddowes, oddly enough, are the two victims I don't have a firm connection with to Pearly Poll.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  I like this post very much Tom!! When you say landlords do you mr McCarthy too?

Comment

• "Inspector Reid, Detective Sergeant Enright, Sergeant Goadby [sic. Godley] and other officers then worked on a slight clue given them by 'Pearly Poll.' It was not thought much of at the time; but what was gleaned from her and other statements given by Elizabeth Allen and Eliza Cooper of 35 Dorset Street, Spitalfields, certain of the authorities have had cause to suspect a man actually living not far from Buck's Row. At present, however, there is only suspicion against him."[5]

From casebook. Wow if any suspect were good that would be the one!

Comment

• MrBarnett:

Assuming Jack picked up Chapman in a major thoroughfare such as Commercial Street, was 29, Hanbury Street the best spot on offer? Or just one that Annie was used to using ?

I don΄t think we need to assume that Annie was picked up in any other spot than Hanbury Street. Prostitutes were flung out of the backyard by Richardson every now and then, as I remember, and Long said it was a usual sight to find couple along the street.

All of the victims could well have been soliciting in or very close to the spots where they were found dead. The one that seemingly differs is Nichols, who would perhaps not use the empty Buck΄s Row to look for punters, but the long stretch of time between her meeting Holland and being killed at around 3.40 may have meant that she took another customer to Buck΄s Row prior to having the Ripper happen upon her. So she too MAY have been found by the Ripper in the street where she died.
                      My money is on Whitechapel Road, though.

But this too is a topic for another thread, methinks!

All the best,
                      Fisherman
                      Last edited by Fisherman; 09-23-2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Oh, absolutely. But this isn't the thread to talk about that stuff, because it has nothing to do with the shawl. There's a thread on my book under non-fiction. The Bank Holiday Murders.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

He was reported as talking about that spot in Buck's Row. Perhaps the stable gates were often left open? That would make it a great spot for thugs to lie in wait for passerby.

I'm sure the women were all over the East End, I'm just going by the records.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          I'll give the book a read tom, thanks! After I finish "naming Jack the Ripper"'! Lol just kidding I'll only be reading yours lol

Comment

• Self promotion

Have to give the published Ripper authors on this thread a thumbs up for chutzpah.
                            A cross selling opportunity on the back of Edwards book.

Comment

I like it too, specially when it comes to Mr McCarthy from Miller's Court… but this is out of the Kosminski/Edwards thread.
                              His man Bowyer
                              (Forgive my accent, I've been to France for a while…)

—————————————

Comment

• Theagenes/Mick,

I'm thick skinned, no harm done.

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                X