Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Hi Natasha.
    I'm sorry, I am not understanding your question, what didn't he report?
    Hi Jon

He didn't raise the alarm that a woman was being attacked. The fact that there had been a few murders in the area and the fact that a man had chased him away from the scene, would make one think it most important to raise the alarm.
    He may have had 15 or so minutes, but that may have been enough time to save Stride.

What makes me wonder about Schwartz was the fact he IDed Stride in great detail. Why would Stride's attacker allow him to linger for more than a moment?

Why step forward to ID her?
    Now I suppose people will say if he did it, then why step forward to ID her? My answer would be that maybe he was seen or questioned by someone maybe a family member and he thought it would be a good idea to give his version of events.

It is most strange that he was not involved in the inquest. Also Anderson's report mentioned Schwarzt giving testimony at the inquest which was contradictory. It has been suggested that Anderson made a mistake, or the police were keeping info back, to help aid the case, but I think something very fishy was going on.

What do I base this on;

1: Is it not strange that there is a very small selective amount of info has 'survived'. And if it is legit, it is either contradictory, or possibly incorrect, as if planted to make what has been unearthed seem viable. Maybe to cover something up.

2: Some newspaper reports are missing

3: Alot of researchers, including myself, are finding it increasingly difficult to trace Kelly's life, ID etc. Every time I check aspects of Kelly's life (checking infirmary records etc and alot of ideas that could possibly relate to Kelly) I come across 'page no longer exists', error etc.

4: We don't have photos of Abberline, now I know alot of people will say, "maybe because it hasn't been discovered" etc, but if we can find a pic of Chapman, why not Abberline? Surely the police most definitely would have one.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

He was in Grove Hall until February and thence to Banstead--almost a year.

Of course, EVEN if he were out and about it would be near impossible for him to have done the poor knife work on Kate. Some things are habitual for some of us.
      Grove Hall was a private asylum, right? If so, who paid for it, and is it possible, because/if it was private, patients could go home on weekends, or for one day if desired by family? What would restrictions have been at a private asylum? As far as Eddowes goes, I believe the person who killed her showed a great deal of practice.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
        Hi Jon

I don't think that either. I think Schwartz needed to be investigated.
        He said he witnessed Stride being attacked by a man. I know he said he was threatened, chased whatever, but why not report it to the police or someone else?
        After all there had been 2 previous murders.

There may well have been enough time, but again why not report what he saw? Unless he was the killer.
        Hi Natasha,

I wonder if the reason why he didn't initially report what he'd witnessed was because, being an immigrant and unable to speak English, he was the type of person to be naturally wary of the police or authority in general? This might be especially true if he came from a country where it was common to be distrustful of the police.

Regarding the assault, although murder was very uncommon in Whitechapel- well, at least until 1888!- common assault was perhaps more of a regular occurrence. If so, he maybe didn't consider what he'd witnessed to be particular unusual, at least in that neighbourhood

Comment

G P I

Hello Michael. Thanks.

My best guess is that the workhouse infirmary sent him there because his symptoms approximated GPI. Dr. Mickle at Grove Hall was perhaps the
          world's foremost expert on that malady.

So maybe it was a freebie for study purposes? That might explain his later transfer to Banstead.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
            Hi Natasha,

I wonder if the reason why he didn't initially report what he'd witnessed was because, being an immigrant and unable to speak English, he was the type of person to be naturally wary of the police or authority in general? This might be especially true if he came from a country where it was common to be distrustful of the police.

Regarding the assault, although murder was very uncommon in Whitechapel- well, at least until 1888!- common assault was perhaps more of a regular occurrence. If so, he maybe didn't consider what he'd witnessed to be particular unusual, at least in that neighbourhood
            Hi John,

That seems a good reason, but he did step forward to ID Stride. Also why not tell someone about the assault?

The Assault: There had been a few previous murders, so I would have thought that would make him think this assault may result in murder

Comment

Dew Knew Who

Detective Walter Dew’s choice of best witness was Mary Cox. He believed she saw Jack the Ripper up close. Referring to her description of the killer, Dew wrote:

“I believe that the man of the billycock hat and beard was the last person to enter Marie Kelly's room that night and was her killer.”

Cox described the man as being 35, having blotches on his face and a carroty mustache. In other words, Vincent van Gogh.

But why would the killer go ahead with the murder after being seen standing in his victim’s room? Because he knew the false image of black hair, black mustache, and black bag created by misguided witnesses would keep a blonde-haired man with red facial hair from suspicion. “Go on Mary Cox, give the police my description. No one will believe it’s that of the killer.” And Cox’s description was mostly overlooked. However, Detective Dew’s book reveals the police gave considerable consideration to Cox’s description.

Van Gogh was not as he seems. And for those who don’t know, Vincent was not in the least famous during his life. He blended in well with the East Enders.

Thanks,
              Dale Larner

Comment

Beam me up Scotty.....
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Of all the possible witnesses I tend to believe that Albert Cadosch probably heard JTR dealing with Chapman in the next door back yard, so he was physically the closest, but, apart from hearing voices from next door followed by a bump on the fence, his statement isn't of much help in identifying the Ripper.

I think that PC Smith probably saw Stride with her killer, even if it was a little earlier than Schwartz's encounter. Smith gave a good description, was observant, and the man he saw was carrying a small parcel, in the same way as Astrakhan Man was, by the way.

The trouble with Israel Schwartz (and I do think he witnessed an assault where he said he did) and Hutchinson, is that neither man gave testimony at either of the inquests. What we have from Scwartz is via newspaper reports, and although Hutchinson was believed by Abberline, who took his statement, that's as far as it went.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                    Of all the possible witnesses I tend to believe that Albert Cadosch probably heard JTR dealing with Chapman in the next door back yard, so he was physically the closest, but, apart from hearing voices from next door followed by a bump on the fence, his statement isn't of much help in identifying the Ripper.

I think that PC Smith probably saw Stride with her killer, even if it was a little earlier than Schwartz's encounter. Smith gave a good description, was observant, and the man he saw was carrying a small parcel, in the same way as Astrakhan Man was, by the way.

The trouble with Israel Schwartz (and I do think he witnessed an assault where he said he did) and Hutchinson, is that neither man gave testimony at either of the inquests. What we have from Scwartz is via newspaper reports, and although Hutchinson was believed by Abberline, who took his statement, that's as far as it went.
                    You get interesting results indeed when you regroup Smith, Lawende and Schwartz witness accounts. Unfortunately, you can't go really far with only age and clothing.
                    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Och!

Hello Jon.

"Och, Captain, I do nae think she'll hold. It's going to blow!!" (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

With respect to Israel Schwartz, he had a translator when he gave his statement which suggests that there was no language barrier IF he was called to take the stand at the Inquest. The fact that he doesn't appear anywhere in the transcripts, and there is no record of his statement being entered into evidence at the Inquest with or without him being present, it would seem that this age old suggestion that his story was relevant to the proceedings is erroneous. It would have been....had it been determined to have been true and accurate, since the assault takes places feet from where and moments before she is actually killed. But evidently it wasn't.

So...the best witness for that night is arguably PC Smith, since he noticed the colored flower on her breast, which Brown did not see with his young couple.

Couple with Strides actual single wound, her dress and demeanor, its improbable that any Jack the Ripper had anything to do with Liz Strides murder.

The Best witness for a Ripper killing is an audial witnesses, and that's Albert Cadosche, who heard a woman call out "no" from the same spot that Annie is killed on, at approximately the same time as she was killed. Had he just leaned over the fence for a look, we all would likely have very different historical hobbies.
                        Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                          With respect to Israel Schwartz....
                          The fact that he doesn't appear anywhere in the transcripts, and there is no record of his statement being entered into evidence at the Inquest with or without him being present, it would seem that this age old suggestion that his story was relevant to the proceedings is erroneous.
                          Fair enough Michael, but as you know the Stride Inquest was spread over 5 sessions (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, & 23rd Oct.).
                          Witnesses Marshall, Smith & Brown all gave their evidence on the 5th. This then would likely be the date Schwartz would have appeared.

So, are you suggesting his 'story' was not worthy by the 5th?

Then why was the 'description' he gave to police published on the 19th Oct. in the Police Gazette?
                          Last edited by Wickerman; 10-06-2014, 02:22 PM.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                            Fair enough Michael, but as you know the Stride Inquest was spread over 5 sessions (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, & 23rd Oct.).
                            Witnesses Marshall, Smith & Brown all gave their evidence on the 5th. This then would likely be the date Schwartz would have appeared.

So, are you suggesting his 'story' was not worthy by the 5th?

Then why was the 'description' he gave to police published on the 19th Oct. in the Police Gazette?
                            A question I wish I could answer empirically for you Jon, but as you well know, I cant. Im more of a Proof is in the Pudding kind of guy when to comes to this sort of conundrum, and I see no proof that what was written about Schwartz by the police was supported by a submission of his statement, a formal public statement, or even the details of his statement being provided to a hearing that was looking at the murder of Liz Stride.

Ergo, Pudding without the proof.

Cheers Jon
                            Michael Richards

Comment

Hi Michael.

It is difficult to dismiss what Swanson wrote about the importance of Schwartz's evidence, especially when coupled with the fact the description he gave was circulated internally by Scotland Yard to all members of the Met. force as late as the 19th.

I think we all recognize the dilemma but a solution to this problem is not so readily available.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

A solution is readily available - albeit no provable.
                                Best Wishes,
                                Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
                                X