GSG photo located.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSG photo located.

Ive finally managed to locate a photograph of the Goulston Street Graffito.

Seriously, spotted last night in Goulston Street, no idea who has done this, but it gives some a little idea of white chalk on a black fascia.

Not sure the precise location is correct mind.

Monty
    Attached Files
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

I hope you grabbed a wet sponge and immediately washed it off.

Comment

The capitals look considerably taller than 3/4", - it must be fake...

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        The capitals look considerably taller than 3/4", - it must be fake...

It always strikes me how ridiculously small the writing is. It's what one would expect on standard rule lined note book paper. It's like a post it note, when one would expect a billboard.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
          It always strikes me how ridiculously small the writing is. It's what one would expect on standard rule lined note book paper. It's like a post it note, when one would expect a billboard.
          Agreed.
          I have to wonder if Halse was reading from his notes and 3-4 inch was misread as 3/4 inch. The trouble with that is Halse saw the letters himself, so how could he make such a glaring error?

There is no satisfactory solution to that problem.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            Agreed.
            I have to wonder if Halse was reading from his notes and 3-4 inch was misread as 3/4 inch. The trouble with that is Halse saw the letters himself, so how could he make such a glaring error?

There is no satisfactory solution to that problem.
            It's something that consistent with hypergraphia, which is not uncommon in people with Schizophrenia or Mania where they write on anything. Anything. I have a poem scratched into a spoon given to me by a friend who had a truly spectacular manic episode. But you walk into a room and there is tiny writing on all four walls, the ceiling, every surface... it's impressive. And usually it's nonsense. Not gibberish, but the ideas are wacky. I don't know if you've ever heard Charles Manson preach but it reads like that, just not Uncle Charlie creepy.

It's the only time I have ever seen writing that small on a wall that is not a bathroom stall. But there isn't even a little enough of it to be that.

It's actually laughably small. This is not someone who wants people to know things. The writer did not aim that text to the world, exposing Juwes or whatever to the world. It's not even a "Kilroy Wuz Here". It's a whisper so small there was no point in even writing it in the first place, unless the only point was to do something naughty. I swear it's the work of an 8 year old boy trying to impress his friends by writing on the wall, but so terrified of getting caught he wrote it small. And the kid probably liked the old lady in the building who gave out cookies, so the shame of hurting her feelings is prompting him to make it tiny and in a place where it will get rubbed off and hopefully the nice old lady never sees it.
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
              I swear it's the work of an 8 year old boy trying to impress his friends by writing on the wall, but so terrified of getting caught he wrote it small. And the kid probably liked the old lady in the building who gave out cookies...
              Well, let's say about 13 or 14. Got the chalk home from the Jews Free School on Brick Lane. Listened to father lamenting about being taken on a goods sale in the market-place a day or two before. Decided to exercise a bit of self-expression on the entrance to his apartment building -- but wrote it small because there was no need to advertise, after all, he was only practicing his penmanship.

Comment

Working...
              X