• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
    The food at Leavesden - at least in the 1930s - was, apparently, crap :

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/nos...0345965.print/
    The world turns and nothing changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy Conway View Post
      Even allowing for some of the cuts detailed above to have been applied with the same stroke, this is a phenomenal amount of butchery to perform within a 6-minute period.

And even if the Lawende sighting is wrong and he ignores PC Harvey approaching, so we allow him a full 12 minutes between PC Watkins' departure and return, there's still not enough time to do all of that and masturbate to conclusion, I would think.
      Dr Browne at the inquest, thought it could have been completed by someone, who knew exactly what they were doing, in five minutes at best.

There isn't a lot of room for manoeuvre.
      Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
        There are a lot of blue eye genes in that family. Proves nothing re Aaron, but does raise questions.

Christer, you're in touch with Jari. Is he willing and/or able to give any insight into this that could be made public?
        I havent heard from him since last week, but I can put the question to him!

The best,
        Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
          I havent heard from him since last week, but I can put the question to him!

The best,
          Fisherman
          Cheers Fish
          Mick Reed

Comment

• Quite right

Originally posted by mickreed View Post
            Wouldn't Kosminski have been rather young to exhibit GPI?
            Yes, he would only have been 22/23 in 1888, so too young for GPI to start affecting his mind. However if we presume that he contracted syphilis at age 18, it would be reasonable to presume that the disease would have progressed by the time he reached late twenties. Isn't that when he was committed to an asylum? Or am I getting confused?

Amanda

Comment

• @Mickreed,GUT

I thank you. My mother in law had grey blue eyes.

On the internet I found a test:

In the case of my son; the outcome is 18, 75% probability for blue eyes.

How serious it is I don´t know.

Comment

Correct
                My brown-eyed daughter-in-law and green/blue-eyed son first produced a brown-eyed, black-haired son, and then another son with bright blue eyes and fair hair. To be fair her father is blue-eyed, and so am I, but brown isn't always dominant. (Think I have my brain back now).

Best wishes
                C4
                Last edited by curious4; 09-18-2014, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• Please keep off-topic comments off the thread. If you have a new area that you wish to discuss regarding alternate suspects/theories/etc, please follow the rules and create new threads under the appropriate suspect.

If you wish to have personal conversations, we have a chat room, Pub Talk and Private Messages for that purpose.

Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                    Yes, he would only have been 22/23 in 1888, so too young for GPI to start affecting his mind. However if we presume that he contracted syphilis at age 18, it would be reasonable to presume that the disease would have progressed by the time he reached late twenties. Isn't that when he was committed to an asylum? Or am I getting confused?

Amanda
                    Aaron was about 26 when he was placed in Colney Hatch and, according to the records there, 25 when his first attack occurred.

If - and it's a big if - he had syphilis, he could have contracted it at any time. 13, 14, 18, 23 who knows.

I understand the progress of the disease is very variable, but I don't know the details. Assuming there is no likelihood of congenital syph then he could reasonably have had it for up to 10 years or so before entering the asylum.

The disease was also very common in Victorian England. I recall estimates of around 10% of young males. My own grandfather was reported as having it at about age 17 in his Army record before he left for 13 years in India with the Middlesex Regiment in (from memory) 1901.
                    Mick Reed

Comment

• Don't think this was off-thread? We were discussing blue eyes in a brown-eyed family. My point is that blue eyes can crop up in a mainly brown-eyed family.

Comment

Dr Browne at the inquest, thought it could have been completed by someone, who knew exactly what they were doing, in five minutes at best.

There isn't a lot of room for manoeuvre.
                        Was it Brown who started the rumour of a surgeon being responsible? Five minutes at best for someone who knew exactly what they were doing.

Nick Warren in this TV documentary shows just how difficult it is to find and remove the kidney - from 9 mins in: http://youtu.be/4dQPAnRCI80 - and he says ten minutes.

Which is arguable, of course.

But Kosminski has no medical knowledge as far as I know and probably isn't a man who would know exactly what he was doing. (Neither is William Bury nor most of the usual suspects).

So presumably it would take a bit longer.

It's the time factor in Mitre Square that makes me look at a shawl with her blood and the killer's semen on it that makes me think 'Naaaaah.'
                        Last edited by Andy Conway; 09-18-2014, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy Conway View Post

But Kosminski has no medical knowledge as far as I know and probably isn't a man who would know exactly what he was doing. (Neither is William Bury nor most of the usual suspects).
                          Unless the Thames torso killer is our man, and he's been practicin'.
                          ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Dr Mabuse

"On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break."

Comment

• That was quick!

Just had word from Jari Louhelainen, who kindly provided me with a link about eye-colour variations. Since it is a public link from the Daily Mail, I believe I can quote the part that specifically relates to our discussion:

Until recently, it was thought there was one form of a gene for blue eyes and another one for darker eyes.
                            'But that is absolutely rubbish,' says Dr Jari Louhelainen, a senior lecturer in biomolecular sciences at Liverpool John Moores University. 'What we know now is that eye colour is based on 12 to 13 individual variations in people's genes.

'These genetic markers give us a good chance of telling someone's eye colour. We can predict eye colour with between 70 per cent and 90 per cent accuracy,' says Dr Louhelainen, who is investigating how genes determine eye colour to help forensic scientists identify murder and accident victims from their skeletal remains.

Published June 9, 2014. Full link:

Scientists at the University of Pittsburgh found Caucasian women with light-coloured eyes appear to tolerate pain and distress better.

... and there we are!

All the best,
                            Fisherman
                            Last edited by Fisherman; 09-18-2014, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Well, I finished the book. There's a lot of chaff and not a whole lot of wheat. But there are a few things worth discussing that haven't been really brought out here much. I'll formulate my thoughts and put a post together later.

Comment

• Hello Christer,

As I thought (and as you thought too) the original Finnish newspaper report is, infact, a DIRECT Finnish translation of the Mail article.

The other link pertains to another crime, in Finland and the hope that DNA can so0lve it etc etc etc..
                                Shame.

best wishes

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                                Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X