Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    Maybe they're waiting for a kickback.
    Sorry if I'm missing something but what evidence is there that secret files exist in the Home Office or elswhere relating to the Ripper murders? The assertion gets trotted out regularly but is there any actual evidence that such files or secret information are a reality or that anyone has been refused access to them?

Prosector

Comment

• If I recall, there were some records that weren't released, it was said, to protect some families.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi Prosector

Sorry if I'm missing something but what evidence is there that secret files exist in the Home Office or elswhere relating to the Ripper murders? The assertion gets trotted out regularly but is there any actual evidence that such files or secret information are a reality or that anyone has been refused access to them?
        There are at least two Special Branch ledgers (one at least of which is an index) which are known to exist. Trevor Marriott went to court in an attempt to gain access to them, but I believe all he managed to get was a heavily redacted version with every single name blotted out, rendering it pretty well useless.

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          If I recall, there were some records that weren't released, it was said, to protect some families.
          Which sounds ridiculous to me since all involved are long dead.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
            G'day Stan

It has crossed the border, it is ridiculous to claim that informants 100 years ago, or their family,could be bn danger. What a joke.
            I think they make it a matter of principle.
            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

• Hello SJF,

Matter of principle or nay, in the actual case referring to C.I.D. material in relation to informants- common sense tells us that anyone who actually is involved today with such terrorist activity today are already well aware of KNOWN families who have in the past, been on the 'other side' of the fence- and even if they didnt know- tracing the family history forward from 1888 would be a long and arduous business certainly without any guarentee of a result through 5 or 6 generations- and even then- it might lead to some poor sheep farmer in southernmost Ireland who knows nothing and cares nothing about what his gt gt grandfather did in 1888.

The mere notion that any group is so hell bent on revenge after 126 years that they would go to such enormous effort to trace and hunt down family members 5 generations down the line is patently ridiculous in the extreme. And it can be proven to be so too- because similar records from Dublin ARE in the public archives and have been for years...not one attack to my knowledge has occurred.

These people have far fresher fish to fry.

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                The mere notion that any group is so hell bent on revenge after 126 years that they would go to such enormous effort to trace and hunt down family members 5 generations down the line is patently ridiculous in the extreme. And it can be proven to be so too- because similar records from Dublin ARE in the public archives and have been for years...not one attack to my knowledge has occurred.

These people have far fresher fish to fry.
                That can't be the real reason.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Maybe it's just a power trip with them.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I'm trying to imagine this: "I'm not interested on who told the police about my IRA services in the 1980s, but I'm determined to find out who helped the Tories destroy Parnell in 1891! His great, great, grand children better watch out!"

Jeff

Comment

• They want to show us who's boss.

Stan Reid

Comment

• So you're saying the nazi's were involved in the cover up? Then the killer was german. Perhaps, the Queen's cousin?

Comment

• The Germans did bomb the City files

Stan Reid

Comment

• I like the trap theory.

28th. Kate says she thinks she knows the killer (uncorroborated, Casebook Victims)
                            29th. Halse acting under orders places a number of police officers in the city.
                            29th. Watkins is told to walk a left hand beat.

Kate is released, goes in the wrong direction to get home?

Outcome? a complete and utter balls up,sort of thing they might be reluctant to make public.

Comment

• Yes, I always wondered if Kate was bait either with her knowledge or not.

Stan Reid

Comment

• If other documents, particularly sensitive political ones, from that period have been released, but some pertaining to the Ripper have not (or have to be redacted to the point of being useless) then they are probably protecting *somebody* all these years down the track. Who's that important, though?

Either some very dodgy investigative practises they still don't wish to own up to, or some extremely depraved and/or nutty peers of the realm were quietly investigated, is my guess. I'm NOT talking about the Royal Conspiracy here... the royals aren't the only family with influence, and a reputation to protect.

Trevor, what a legend you are, going to court for the documents. Pity they were not more revealing.

Comment

Working...
                                X