So what if the Ripper was Jewish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what if the Ripper was Jewish?

We know from the GSG incident that the police were trying to keep a lid on the antisemitism that was brewing within Whitechapel. A piece of evidence that might not necessarily have been linked to the murders was destroyed to prevent a riot. This begs the question.... What if the Ripper had been proven to be a Jew? Wouldn't they have wanted to cover this up? Therefore, the Ripper gets carted off to the madhouse, and the case is closed (unofficially), since they never "caught" the man responsible.

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    We know from the GSG incident that the police were trying to keep a lid on the antisemitism that was brewing within Whitechapel. A piece of evidence that might not necessarily have been linked to the murders was destroyed to prevent a riot. This begs the question.... What if the Ripper had been proven to be a Jew? Wouldn't they have wanted to cover this up? Therefore, the Ripper gets carted off to the madhouse, and the case is closed (unofficially), since they never "caught" the man responsible.
    If the Ripper were Jewish, I think that it's quite likely that he would have been quietly locked up.

Consider how the "Goulston Street Graffito" was handled. Warren ordered it removed. Warren realized that tensions were high in the East End and wanted to avoid further escalation. In my opinion, an arrest and prosecution of a Jewish suspect would likely have fomented violent retaliation against East End Jews. Warren's decision to remove the graffiti was clearly inpired by a desire to avoid such violence, thus eliminating a huge headache for police. I think it's likely a similar course of action would have been taken in the handling of a Jewish Ripper suspect that the police felt was very likely the killer.

In my opinion, said Jewish suspect was never found. I think that there would likely have been more unanimity among police officials as to the killer's identity, especially those reflecting upon the case years later, as the killer was in fact "caught", albeit, "unofficially".

Comment

What actually would have happened and what the police feared would happen are potentially two totally different things. No matter who was arrested there was going to be a backlash of some sort. Riots, violence, panic, wailing, rebellion... probably not. Anger yes. The Jewish community was clearly very thankful for the sensitivity displayed during the investigation, but at no point would they have requested a cover up, or even wanted one. That would be contrary to Law. So anything of that nature would not have been to protect Jewish interest, since it was not in Jewish interest. The other reality is that given the inherent assumption at the time that the person who did this had to be mad, the easiest thing to do would be to emphasize his madness, not his Judaism, and then anger would be directed towards the mad. Which most people would not have been able to sustain given their pitiful state, and attention would then shift towards healing the mad as opposed to being angry with them. Which also is unsustainable and then things would go back to normal. A tactic I believe was used on a guy who shot at Queen Victoria, but I would have to check. People in the LVP didn't go hunting Jews because of some guy who killed a woman. They went hunting Jews because they hated Jews. Lipski didn't cause antisemitism. At best he gave people a convenient excuse. Crowded slums explode in violence from time to time. Because they are crowded slums. The death of one girl, or six women doesn't really matter to anyone. People just don't like being scared. And the reason they were scared was ironically not because of Jack the Ripper. They were scared because they didn't trust the police.

It's something we still deal with today. Every time a guy shoots u a place, we demand better mental health care for about two weeks and forget about it until the next. Unless of course it's a black man, and then the debate goes on an extra two weeks because we have to talk about mental health care and the underprivileged, regardless of whether or not the black man was in fact underprivileged.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
        In my opinion, said Jewish suspect was never found. I think that there would likely have been more unanimity among police officials as to the killer's identity, especially those reflecting upon the case years later, as the killer was in fact "caught", albeit, "unofficially".
        Hello Patrick,

Yes but did the left hand know what the right hand was doing? Perhaps certain officials weren't convinced that the Jewish suspect was the Ripper. He was never caught red-handed, which leaves it open to doubt.

Originally posted by Errata View Post
        What actually would have happened and what the police feared would happen are potentially two totally different things. No matter who was arrested there was going to be a backlash of some sort. Riots, violence, panic, wailing, rebellion... probably not. Anger yes. The Jewish community was clearly very thankful for the sensitivity displayed during the investigation, but at no point would they have requested a cover up, or even wanted one. That would be contrary to Law. So anything of that nature would not have been to protect Jewish interest, since it was not in Jewish interest. The other reality is that given the inherent assumption at the time that the person who did this had to be mad, the easiest thing to do would be to emphasize his madness, not his Judaism, and then anger would be directed towards the mad. Which most people would not have been able to sustain given their pitiful state, and attention would then shift towards healing the mad as opposed to being angry with them. Which also is unsustainable and then things would go back to normal. A tactic I believe was used on a guy who shot at Queen Victoria, but I would have to check. People in the LVP didn't go hunting Jews because of some guy who killed a woman. They went hunting Jews because they hated Jews. Lipski didn't cause antisemitism. At best he gave people a convenient excuse. Crowded slums explode in violence from time to time. Because they are crowded slums. The death of one girl, or six women doesn't really matter to anyone. People just don't like being scared. And the reason they were scared was ironically not because of Jack the Ripper. They were scared because they didn't trust the police.

It's something we still deal with today. Every time a guy shoots u a place, we demand better mental health care for about two weeks and forget about it until the next. Unless of course it's a black man, and then the debate goes on an extra two weeks because we have to talk about mental health care and the underprivileged, regardless of whether or not the black man was in fact underprivileged.
        Hello Errata,

I'm approaching this very much from the police mindset at the time and not the truth of the situation. The GSG became public knowledge after the inquest and we know the mass riots never happened. It does, however, show how nervous the police were when it came to dealing with the supposed powder keg of prejuduce within Whitechapel at the time, even if it meant compromising the Ripper hunt. So surely it stands to reason that if they had 'caught' the Ripper, and he turned out to be Jewish, they would want to keep this under wraps? I'm not suggesting that the Jewish authorities had a hand in this conspiracy.

Comment

Hello Patrick,

Yes but did the left hand know what the right hand was doing? Perhaps certain officials weren't convinced that the Jewish suspect was the Ripper. He was never caught red-handed, which leaves it open to doubt.

Agreed. Most seemed to have their pet supects without much concensus.

Do you believe that a Jewish suspect was quietly locked up for the murders?

If so, who?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
            Do you believe that a Jewish suspect was quietly locked up for the murders?

If so, who?
            Jacob Levy.

Comment

Jacob Levy.
              I'm quite interested in Levy, as well. Any new information?

Comment

I doubt the Ripper was Jewish.

Comment

Hey Harry

Jacob Levy.

Hi Patrick

I'm quite interested in Levy, as well. Any new information?
                  How new? Have you read the Jacob Levy thread on the message boards? Also not sure if you have read the original thread Jacob the Ripper? (with the question mark) it isn't in the Jacob Levy tab as it was started before he his own thread.
                  I do think the article in the Ripperologist 124 would be your best bet now though as it is free. All the factual information is there.

Tracy
                  It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

I'm up to speed on that info. Was just wondering if there was something new that's not generally known. Always interested in any new info and/or ideas. When I have time, I'll re-read, though. Look to pick up something I may have missed. I'll post questions here! Thanks.

Comment

Hi Patrick

Not really that I am aware of. For me and Jimi we are looking into a few avenues but to be honest even I will be surprised if anything comes out of them!

Probably best posting to one of the Jacob Levy thread to be honest Patrick, you know what the sticklers are like with off topic.

Tracy

Patrick I have bumped up the Jacob the Ripper? thread if you do have any questions.
                      Last edited by tji; 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM.
                      It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                        I doubt the Ripper was Jewish.
                        Hello John,

What leads you to this conclusion?

Comment

To Harry

Why would the Ripper be Jewish? The only reason people suspect that the Ripper was Jewish is because of the GSG, which in my opinion is a red herring.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                            To Harry

Why would the Ripper be Jewish? The only reason people suspect that the Ripper was Jewish is because of the GSG, which in my opinion is a red herring.
                            That's not the only reason, John. Whitechapel was predominantly populated by Jewish immigrants. The Double Event murders happened nearby Jewish social clubs. Leather Apron was said to be a Jew (and again we have evidence of the police covering up the truth for fear of anti-semitism, as they lied about catching him). And, of course, we have "Kosminski" or the "low-class Polish Jew" from the police memoirs named as the Ripper. So that's a common thread that runs through the entire case.

Comment

That's not the only reason, John. Whitechapel was predominantly populated by Jewish immigrants. The Double Event murders happened nearby Jewish social clubs. Leather Apron was said to be a Jew (and again we have evidence of the police covering up the truth for fear of anti-semitism, as they lied about catching him). And, of course, we have "Kosminski" or the "low-class Polish Jew" from the police memoirs named as the Ripper. So that's a common thread that runs through the entire case.
                              To Harry

That's all well and good but there's no evidence to suggest the Ripper was Jewish. Just out of interest what source have you got for Whitechapel being predominantly populated by Jewish immigrants?

Cheers John

Comment

Working...
                              X