Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pathological Issues: Is It Perhaps What It Looks Like ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accretion

Hello Daniel. Thanks.

Tend to agree. I think "bold" was affixed given the time frame at Mitre sq. "Boastful" because of that silly letter. All part of misplaced historical accretion.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Let me entertain you.

Hello (again) Daniel. Thanks.

The Baker and Berman film, while not being terribly accurate, DOES have great entertainment value.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

terrible entertainment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello (again) Daniel. Thanks.

The Baker and Berman film, while not being terribly accurate, DOES have great entertainment value.

Cheers.
        LC

OK, I m-might consider trying it...

I've come up with some new terminology -

describing an annoying problem that threatens a hypothesis or the mere achievement of making sense of something:

Kates' Kidney

verb [to annoyingly introduce a hypothesis-pooping element]:

kate-kidneying

Comment

Kidneys R Us

Hello Daniel. Thanks.

Not bad. The kidney is at loggerheads with nearly every major theory. A possible exception being cannibalism.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Natasha said:
            "Having looked at all the murders, and reading posts on here, It appears that 4 victims had no underwear. It has been suggested that the victims never wore any to make their job easier. But Nichols had underwear, and if we discount other murders before her, then she would be the first ripper victim. So why was underwear taken, if it was, from the other victims?"

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on whether or not the victims had underwear. At that time, ladies drawers were 'split crotch' to facilitate using the bathroom while wearing a corset. Once the corset goes on, it is pretty much impossible to pull the undies down. Also, at that time, ladies' drawers were huge compared to what most of us currently wear. They came down below the knee and were rather full. You couldn't wad them up and shove them in your pocket easily. They also wouldn't have seriously hindered the sexual act so there's no need to go without for that reason. I think the reason most of them didn't have undies was their level of poverty. Its an item of clothing that will become soiled and worn very quickly and that one can pretty much do without. If the clothing inventories are accurate, then most of them weren't wearing corsets either which was a much more obvious item of underwear, giving shape and support to the torso.

Historic clothing is one of my 'things' and I have toyed around with the idea of recreating, as closely as possible, the clothing and effects of each victim to see if it gives us any insight into their lives and also as a general challenge to my abilities. We'll see if I ever get around to it.

Comment

Thanks Penhalion, I think you've clarified what many of us have long been abstractly aware of - indeed the term "stays" is an interesting one in itself...

Historic clothing is one of my 'things' and I have toyed around with the idea of recreating, as closely as possible, the clothing and effects of each victim to see if it gives us any insight into their lives and also as a general challenge to my abilities. We'll see if I ever get around to it.
              Personally I'd love to see what you come up with - indeed I think a lot of us would be interested in your conclusions

All the best

Dave

Comment

'Stays' is a somewhat old fashion term for 'corset' in the late 19th century. Up until the early 19th century, 'stays' was the common term and going back further to the 16th century when they first start being worn, they are known as 'a pair of bodies'.

The term 'stays' has a variety of meanings when it comes to clothing which ranges from those little stiffeners in your collars to keep the points pointy, to the little bits of thread that hold a loose lining to the outer fashion fabric in higher level tailored garments. Overall, the term seems refer to any device which keeps something where its supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
                  Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                  Personally I'd love to see what you come up with - indeed I think a lot of us would be interested in your conclusions

All the best

Dave
                  I agree with Dave and would love to see it.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

absolutely stays

[QUOTE=Penhalion;303677]

Hi Penhalion,

I second, actually third what Cogidubnus & GUT were saying, think it'd be a great idea! And where it concerns Eddowes you should make 2, if a cheaper version is possible, because there are questions arising regarding her torn clothes.
                    But in general, it would be fascinating to have as-good-as-possible recreations of the clothes.
                    Do go ahead with it!

Comment

loggerkidney

Hello Daniel. Thanks.

Not bad. The kidney is at loggerheads with nearly every major theory. A possible exception being cannibalism.

Cheers.
                      LC

Hi Lynn,

well, even there. There's still the lil issue of getting it out this quickly besides all the other things he did to her, regardless of what he'd be doing with it afterwards.

Check your mail, just sent my reply to your essays.

Comment

removal

Hello Daniel. Thanks.

Quite. Of course, the medicos seem to have described its removal in different terms from the rest of the work.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Cates' kidney

Hello Daniel. Thanks.

Quite. Of course, the medicos seem to have described its removal in different terms from the rest of the work.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          Medicos nowadays or contemporary?
                          At this point any suggestion is making Kate's kidney a, well, Kate's Kidney.
                          Without wanting to drive myself insane for the day, but is there information anywhere about the state of the tissue surrounding the kidney?
                          Not, I feel, that it would make much of a difference - brutally ruptured it would make some little sense. Cleanly and masterfully extracted, and it'd be astonishing, for lack of another word - not impossible; 'impossible' is one of the quickest words.

Comment

carefully

Hello Daniel. Thanks.

Contemporary.

My discussion of the kidney depends on this.

"The peritoneal lining was cut through on the left side and the left kidney carefully taken out and removed . . ."

What did Dr. Brown mean by carefully? Taken full strength, it looks almost professional compared to the uterus and the entrance to the body cavity--all hack and mangle.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Hello Daniel. Thanks.

Contemporary.

My discussion of the kidney depends on this.

"The peritoneal lining was cut through on the left side and the left kidney carefully taken out and removed . . ."

What did Dr. Brown mean by carefully? Taken full strength, it looks almost professional compared to the uterus and the entrance to the body cavity--all hack and mangle.

Cheers.
                              LC
                              Perhaps two different people took the organs at the mortuary one more experienced than the other at organ removal "

Comment

uteri

Hello Trevor. Thanks.

No problem with the uteri. It's the bloody kidney that causes the problem and is inconsistent.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X