Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chevrons

Hello all,

Over the years here there has been many debates about the nature of the cuts made on Kates cheeks, whether they were intentional markings or whether they were collateral damage as a result of the nose being cut almost completely off her face.

In 2012 Simon Webb published a book called Dynamite, Treason and Plot, a look at Terrorism in London during the LVP, and in it there is an interesting factoid concerning the markings on a murder victims face. The case in point was the trial of a Stinnie Morrison, at the Old Bailey in March of 1911. The victim was Leon Beron, a Russian immigrant who lived in Jubilee Street in Whitechapel and was a member of the Jubilee Street Anarchists Club. He was thought to have been a police informant.The victim in this case had 2 elongated "S"'s into his cheeks after death. The physician who examined the dead man, Dr Joseph Needham... Divisional Police Surgeon for Balham, asserted that the marks were absolutely intentional.

There was some attention paid to these markings as they attempted to figure out their meaning, and it was revealed that the carving of letters or symbols in the face of a murder victim was not unique to the Beron case. In fact, there had been other examples of that kind of "marking" in previous years, often associated with the notion that the victim was being marked as a "spy" after the murder....hence the elongated "s" cuts on the cheeks. The inference being of course that the victim was co-operating with the police and providing information about the goings on in the Russian and Jew immigrant communities. Anarchist activities.

Kate Eddowes told a friend she intended to turn the killer on the loose in for the reward money, intimating that she both knew the person and that she could provide some information to verify her statement. She told Kelly the day they parted for the last time that he "needn't fear" for her, that she wouldn't fall "into his hands", again intimating that she knew who to be careful of and that she had some reason not to be afraid for her own skin.

Heres the point to all this....it can be proven that the marking of cheeks on people murdered in London was not isolated to one or 2 cases.... and it can be fairly said that the motive for the murder in at least some of the cases might have had something to do with supressing information the killer felt was dangerous to him, or perhaps his cause.

Since we cannot say why Kate was in Mitre Square in the first place, why she thought she knew who was doing the killing, why the story that Kelly gives about their last 24 hours has definable errors...such as when the boots were pawned..., how she got money to get so drunk by 8pm that last night, and why she was murdered, is it not feasible to consider that Kates claim of knowing the killer posed a direct threat to that person or persons and that her intending to turn him in to the officials could be construed as squealing on someone she knew?

If so, why the V shape? Why not cut an S for Spy, or Squealer, or Snitch?

Does anyone know languages enough to explain why a Russian or European Jew might choose to mark her with V's? Is there a word in Yiddish or Russian that begins with a V that might correspond with the Spy or Snitch theory? One might suggest that Vasiliev did that murder and signed it with some cuts....Ive considered that.

Best regards
    Michael Richards

I see that no-one has leaped forward with any help on the possible meaning of the V's, ...... despite that I am still hopeful that someone who understands Polish, Russian, French or Hebrew/Yiddish might offer an answer to the question.....does the letter V begin words used to describe a stool pigeon, spy or traitor in any of the above languages?

I believe when you have a precedent for marking specifically the cheeks of said person by using a knife to cut symbols or letters into them as they lay dead, one should consider how that might impact perceptions of the marks on Kates face.

Cheers
    Michael Richards

Comment

Vasiliev

Hello Mike. Interesting idea for a thread.

The Vasiliev story seems to be attributable to Piotr Rachkovski. There is a dissertation on this site that details the facts.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello Mike. Interesting idea for a thread.

The Vasiliev story seems to be attributable to Piotr Rachkovski. There is a dissertation on this site that details the facts.

Cheers.
        LC
        Hi Lynn,

I only mentioned Vasilev as an attempt at tongue and cheek...I don't believe that anyone would seriously consider the chevrons as being a signature of sorts of the killer. But I was interested to learn that marking the faces was a not unheard of practice used by criminals wishing to identify their murder victim as a traitor or spy.

If we assume for a moment that the marks made on Kates face were intentional, then they may have some meaning, and since the shapes carved were identifiable as a letter, I wondered if it was worth looking closer. V, or perhaps 2 halves of the letter M maybe.....which is interesting since Melvilles code name within his department was "M".

Id be interested to see if any V or M words in those languages I mentioned have similar meaning to traitor, spy, double agent...something of the like.

Im wondering if this may be evidence that the man who killed her sought to convey a message by making those carvings...in part, because that night seems to have a few other potential messages.

Cheers mate
        Michael Richards

Comment

They were intentional Mike, he intended to slice her face off.

If you read how the two ^ ^ cuts are described, they are not 'carved' into her face, they are only flaps of skin. Which tells us the knife passed across her cheek with the flat of the blade against her face, slicing down cutting half-way into both cheeks, producing two flaps, more oval in shape.

Something like...

The blade was stopped by the bridge of the nose.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Vincent van Gogh,Montague ,maybrick?
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

There were two similar cuts below the mouth and above the right jaw.
              Best Wishes,
              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

old

Hello Mike. Thanks.

Maybrick, perhaps? (heh-heh)

Personally, I see little symbolisation in these crimes. The result of old age and an underactive imagination I suppose.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello Mike. Thanks.

Maybrick, perhaps? (heh-heh)

Personally, I see little symbolisation in these crimes. The result of old age and an underactive imagination I suppose.

Cheers.
                  LC
                  This van Gogh book could really shake things up.....let's face it whoever was doing this was not a full shilling so when we try to guess what our killer was trying to achieve is very hard if not impossible he might not even know himself why he was making these strange marks its so tantalising to think he is leaving us a clue though.
                  Last edited by pinkmoon; 07-30-2014, 04:02 PM.
                  Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Working...
                  X