So why did he stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why did he stop?

What do you think it was that ultimately brought the Ripper murders to an end? And if you don't have a particular pet theory, which answer do you think is the most probable?
    He died/committed suicide
    35.00%
    He was sent to prison/asylum
    40.00%
    He moved location
    5.00%
    He stopped of his own accord
    10.00%
    Other?
    10.00%

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    What do you think it was that ultimately brought the Ripper murders to an end? And if you don't have a particular pet theory, which answer do you think is the most probable?

I think the Ripper either moved on(my opinion), or he got bagged for another offense and died in a jail/asylum or was incarcerated for a prolonged period.
    I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Comment

I believe he either died or ended up in prison or both.

Comment

Assuming that one can put a definite end to the series [which I tend to believe we can], I'd favour the idea that he was stopped, either by incarceration for something else or by death. No way of giving this idea more foundation than by my troubles of seeing how he could have gone back from what he was able to do at Miller's Court, how he could have 'scaled down' again. It is possible, of course. It is possible that after that 'explosion' he could have, am not 100% fixed on the notion.

Comment

Hi,
          If Mary Kelly was the last victim, it was most likely he considered it over, after her, no more point to it...he either destroyed what he wanted, or blamed her for the murders, and despatching her, satisfied his concious .
          Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
            Well, maybe he stopped 'cause someone knew about it? It wouldn't be smart to go on, knowing someone out there knows your secret, right? But that's just a random thought. One thing is certain; he was always one step ahead of everyone.
            “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

Why did he stop?.

Its' possible he stopped of his own accord. In the 1970s 3 girls were murdered in Wales. A single murder and approx 6 months later a double murder. The murderer was found out by DNA approx 40 years later after exhumation. The police still believe that he must have committed more rapes or murders prior to or after the these murders, but to date nothing else has been found.

Comment

It's entirely possible that he stopped of his own accord, other serial killers have gone silent, BTK for one.

I think he was sated and burned out after Miller's Court. I think it was the apex of what he was trying to do and it blew his mind.

I also suspect he may have become too physically ill to continue.
                ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Dr Mabuse

"On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break."

Comment

rejects

Hello Mabuse. So you definitely reject McKenzie and Coles?

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Originally posted by Mabuse View Post
                    It's entirely possible that he stopped of his own accord, other serial killers have gone silent, BTK for one.

I think he was sated and burned out after Miller's Court. I think it was the apex of what he was trying to do and it blew his mind.

I also suspect he may have become too physically ill to continue.
                    I've always had a hard time with the 'his mind gave altogether' after the Miller's Court 'glut'. That is to say, I don't buy it. In fact, I'm not even sure what it means. You use the term 'blew his mind'. How so?

If you'll indulge me. Let's - just for fun - say that 'Jack' started with Tabram. He stabbed her 39 times, probably did something to the genitals in order to produce that 'deal of blood between the legs'...and he was okay with that. He wanted more. This is, in all probability, his fantasy, right? He's living his fantasy. So he moves onto Nichols.

He manages to mutilate Polly to a much larger degree. That's a delight. He can't want to get back at it. He wants more.

Chapman. He's got a little privacy there in the back of number 29. She's been disected rather extensively. Intestines over shoulders. Still......This is exactly what he had in mind.

He finds Stride and...well...let's skip Stride. He was either 'interrupted' or he didn't kill her....

Eddowes. He disembowels her. Takes some uterus and kidney. Cuts off her nose. Cuts her eyelids. 'Ripped up like a pig in the market'. Now he moves on to Kelly.

We know what happened Mary Jane, right? She's literally taken apart. He goes through with all of it. He does not hold back one bit. He is clearly committed to what he'd doing. His mind is not blown while he's doing it, to be sure. But, afterward......he decides, "Well. That's just GROSS! I'm done. YICK!"

I am intrigued by your saying he was PHYSICALLY ill (as opposed to mentally). How so?

Comment

I think he stopped because whatever mental/physical illness he had, and he certainly had something, got worse to the point where he could no longer perform his crimes, or the mental state deteriorated to the point he could no longer scheme.
                      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                        I think he stopped because whatever mental/physical illness he had, and he certainly had something, got worse to the point where he could no longer perform his crimes, or the mental state deteriorated to the point he could no longer scheme.
                        The older I get, the more I learn...the more convinced I am that "Jack the Ripper" did very little in the way of planning or 'scheming'. That is to say, I think that the Whitechapel murderer was a killer of opportunity, of the 'disorganized' variety.

No 'organized' killer would have an M.O. that puts him so close to discovery during the commission of nearly all the murders. I am of the opinion that Jack the Ripper was a disorganized killer who's success in avoiding detection can be attributed, mainly, to good fortune, luck, whatever label you wish to apply.

I think the killer had enough awareness and sense not to kill in front of an audience. I think he sought darkness and privacy. In my view, that was the extent of his 'plan'.

Comment

I tend to think that he 'crossed the Rubicon', so to speak, with his work on Kelly. I think he was probably incarcerated in mental institution after that. I certainly don't think he moved to Bournemouth and took up lawn bowls.

Having thought about it over the years I've mulled over some possibilities--death, disability in some form of karma, maybe, but I really can't see him pulling back or going into 'retirement' after Miller's Court.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                            The older I get, the more I learn...the more convinced I am that "Jack the Ripper" did very little in the way of planning or 'scheming'. That is to say, I think that the Whitechapel murderer was a killer of opportunity, of the 'disorganized' variety.

No 'organized' killer would have an M.O. that puts him so close to discovery during the commission of nearly all the murders. I am of the opinion that Jack the Ripper was a disorganized killer who's success in avoiding detection can be attributed, mainly, to good fortune, luck, whatever label you wish to apply.

I think the killer had enough awareness and sense not to kill in front of an audience. I think he sought darkness and privacy. In my view, that was the extent of his 'plan'.
                            Scheming might only be "I need to kill tonight".
                            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Fear & Perfection

There were three main reasons why Jack the Ripper, aka Vincent van Gogh, stopped killing. Much detail to this, but here’s the quick version.

1. Fear of Capture
                              Police withheld info after the Mary Kelly murder. Vincent was left to wonder what they were up to.

Mary Cox saw Vincent in Kelly’s room before her murder and gave Vincent’s description to the papers—carroty mustache & 35. Fear of being identified.

2. He Knew His Days Were Numbered
                              Long story short—Vincent believed when his brother Theo’s new wife had a baby in Feb. 1890, Theo would cut off his finances. If so, then suicide. Clock ticking. Knew murders would have to end in 1889.

3. Desire for Completion Perfection
                              Murdered last to match his first.

First murder Sept. 5, 1873, while Vincent was living in London. A Torso murder. Killed as a gift for his mother’s Sept. 10 birthday.

Last murder was Pinchin Street torso victim. Killed a few days before body placed and discovered Sept. 10, 1889—Mother’s 70th birthday. Torso kill, but body placed in Ripper territory. Completed both sets of murders with one murder.

For the psychopathic mind of Vincent van Gogh, finishing his murders in this way was satisfying.

Thanks,
                              Dale Larner

Comment

Working...
                              X