Time-gap between Eddowes murder and Goulston Graffito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caz View Post
    Equally it could have been dropped there before 2.20 if PC Long wasn't paying the kind of attention he paid at 2.55.
    Exactamundo, Caz.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Graffito

Hi Dave, you may well be right, Warren would have had to justify his actions.

I cant help thinking that the writing being four feet up and such a small size that the three lines that could have been written on one brick, wouldn't have started a riot especially when all the barrows and stalls were out.

Which brings me to the mention of the timing of the Barrows coming out. According to the photo archive it was a cloth market in Goulston street. I was wondering if bringing out a barrow would be a good excuse to be loitering about in the early hours. Also where they were kept might be a good place to go to ground?

I am slightly coming round to thinking the graffito might not have been written by Jack.....

Pat.................

Comment

• Very good questions Pat

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Hi Dave, you may well be right, Warren would have had to justify his actions.

I cant help thinking that the writing being four feet up and such a small size that the three lines that could have been written on one brick, wouldn't have started a riot especially when all the barrows and stalls were out.

Which brings me to the mention of the timing of the Barrows coming out. According to the photo archive it was a cloth market in Goulston street. I was wondering if bringing out a barrow would be a good excuse to be loitering about in the early hours. Also where they were kept might be a good place to go to ground?

I am slightly coming round to thinking the graffito might not have been written by Jack.....

Pat.................
          Warren had already justified his actions, and, he is not about to try pull the wool over Mathew's eyes over this issue, not when so many witnesses would be able to tell a different story. It's not as if Warren was there alone. Besides, Warren was just days away from resigning anyway, and he wasn't resigning because he loved his job.

What we don't know of course is how the entryway where the graffiti was found was painted in the day. The (internal) wall was painted black up to four feet, but what about the jamb?
          Last edited by Wickerman; 04-23-2014, 04:21 PM.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            Warren... is not about to try pull the wool over Mathew's eyes over this issue, not when so many witnesses would be able to tell a different story.
            So many subordinates, perhaps, none of whom - in any case - would necessarily be privy to the internal memo Warren wrote to his superiors.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Nothing passes through Central Office that doesn't end up on Swanson's desk.
              Warren knew this, he wrote it.
              Swanson writes all the reports for the Home Office.
              Warren knew this also.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                That is a conundrum here. I too write every day on a blackboard. I write small when I need a lot of data on the board, but that would be only something like an outline or a series of quiz questions that I would need to be there the whole day for several classes to see. Most of the time, I write boldly and erase and write again, and do this for every class. The idea of small writing indicates a very thoughtful process going on. The only murder I see with this sort of meticulousness is Kelly's though that is because of time and lighting, one supposes. I have a difficult time marrying this handwriting to quick street slaughter.

Cheers,

Mike
                Hi Mike,

Yet the man who dropped that apron piece took the care and thought needed to nick his victim's eyelids in the dark. So I'm not sure small chalk writing would have been beyond him, particularly if he was restricted by the dimensions (including the height of course) of the black surface he had to work with.

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  A naughty post there Caz, either I misunderstood, you misunderstood, or you are bent on causing friction just to make a petty point.
                  A tad harsh, Monty. And why so sensitive? You wrote what you wrote and I took issue with you for cheekily asking if I considered De Locksley a reliable source - as if I ever would, and as if this was remotely relevant to whether or not the apron was in place by 2.20.

It is clear that Halse was returning to Mitre Square, as is his priority at that time, he states as such, and does as such.

Colin is correct, Longs remit, not Halses. I think its is logical to assume the killer either made it home, or was on the move home, and was not hanging around in doorways.
                  Fair enough, I misunderstood Colin's point about Halse being on Met territory to search for the offender. But maybe you could have put Sam right when he suggested Halse had more reason to 'gawk' into the doorway than Long, instead of waiting for me to agree with him and then putting me right. But I understand if it's a bromance thing.

I do not love this thread.....circular debate on points which cannot be proven by those who enjoy the sight of their own posts.
                  Well nobody need post if they don't enjoy the sight of their own posts, you included Monty.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    Precisely, Abby - scrawl. This was neat, this was small, it was written on a wall... and, by all accounts and witnesses, it wasn't scrawled at all.
                    Wow. Talk about semantics. Ok I should have wrote written carefully instead of scrawl. Still would have taken seconds.

And again, the killer would not have cared of the size because he knew it would be found as marked by the apron.

Which is exactly what happened. The pc saw the apron and then discovered the writing.
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Another "do try this yourself at home". Letters three quarters of an inch high. Not that small. About headline size. Sorry about the format of the photo - still learning!

Best wishes,
                      C4
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by curious4; 04-24-2014, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                        A tad harsh, Monty. And why so sensitive? You wrote what you wrote and I took issue with you for cheekily asking if I considered De Locksley a reliable source - as if I ever would, and as if this was remotely relevant to whether or not the apron was in place by 2.20.

Fair enough, I misunderstood Colin's point about Halse being on Met territory to search for the offender. But maybe you could have put Sam right when he suggested Halse had more reason to 'gawk' into the doorway than Long, instead of waiting for me to agree with him and then putting me right. But I understand if it's a bromance thing.

Well nobody need post if they don't enjoy the sight of their own posts, you included Monty.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        Hey Caz,

I don't frequent the boards often these days, and miss a lot, so did not see Gareths post. It wasn't personal.

Yeah, you are right, I don't have to. So won't.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          Wow. Talk about semantics.
                          That's the last time I take the trouble to write you a response in verse
                          Ok I should have wrote written carefully instead of scrawl. Still would have taken seconds.
                          A fairly complex sentence written in seconds on a vertical surface, in the dark, with the threat of being caught, probably wouldn't turn out very neat... or small for that matter. Under such conditions, why would he restrict himself to a few square inches, when he had - I don't know - four square feet of black brick to play with? Why not write the graffito lower down the wall and closer to the apron? Or, if he was insistent on (and capable of) writing a small, neat message an a few bricks higher up the wall, he could at least have used some of those four square feet to draw an arrow pointing in the apron's general direction. Or to write a more meaningful message.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• There was no shortage of pavement to scribble anything he liked, as large as he liked.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                              That's the last time I take the trouble to write you a response in verse A fairly complex sentence written in seconds on a vertical surface, in the dark, with the threat of being caught, probably wouldn't turn out very neat... or small for that matter. Under such conditions, why would he restrict himself to a few square inches, when he had - I don't know - four square feet of black brick to play with? Why not write the graffito lower down the wall and closer to the apron? Or, if he was insistent on (and capable of) writing a small, neat message an a few bricks higher up the wall, he could at least have used some of those four square feet to draw an arrow pointing in the apron's general direction. Or to write a more meaningful message.
                              Writing this way by a man who could dissect and remove body parts under the same conditions is child's play. Child's play. Peanuts.

As for the meaningfulness of the message:
                              Maybe it made perfect sense to him and or he was intentionally enigmatic.

I just find it kind of silly that people disregard evidence (like longs testimony) just because they don't think it agrees with what they think a serial killer would do or not do. A serial killer!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                                There was no shortage of pavement to scribble anything he liked, as large as he liked.
                                I know! I'm amazed he didn't write his memoirs!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X