No announcement yet.

Norfolk Revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Brit used the term crisps in place of FF's, Perhaps your dispute is with him.

Comment

Where can this so-called Brit who calls chips crisps be located?
      Another obvious imposter.
      They are easy to detect when.you have been trained by MFI.

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
        Where can this so-called Brit who calls chips crisps be located?
        Another obvious imposter.
        They are easy to detect when.you have been trained by MFI.
        Remember Lech... the man was a Brit... we cannot expect an Englishman to know English. It took Americans to bring culture and refinement to the language.

Don't believe me? Ask any Brit to say 'filet': they'll pronounce it
        'fill-it.'

They hate the French to the point of deliberately mispronouncing their words.

Comment

The wikipedia page for French Fries looks fairly reliable for more info on the distinction.

Under the sub-heading "United Kingdom" there's even a link to a separate page for "Fish and chips".

There's a fish and chip shop near me that fries it's chips in animal fat rather than vegetable oil. And yes they taste delicious, at least they do to meat eaters. I always buy a portion if I'm nearby.
          These are not clues, Fred.
          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
          We will not.

Comment

Than you Ozzy!

Gut... take note before uttering a 'nope' in the future:

From the article:

"In the United States, the dish is most commonly sold as "fish and chips," except in Wisconsin and other parts of the Upper Midwest, where this meal would be called a fish fry. The name "fish and chips" remains despite the fact that the word "chips" in the US generally refers to what are called "crisps" in the UK. (Americans typically refer to fried, sliced potatoes as fries)."

Comment

Ozzy has taken you to the link for French Fries / Chips.

Here's the link for Crisps

You will note that what American's call French Fries the civilized world calls chips, what American's call chips the English call crisps.

Here we call them both chips, or at least those of my generation do.

This stared because you asked what are chips, we told you.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

G'day Ozzy

Chips cooked in Fat are heavenly, not really good for you but heavenly.

I love it when they are light and fluffy inside and crisp outside.

Now I want chips.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Try actually reading the piece,, rather than citing distinctions without differences.

Comment

Actually this started with the ludicrous suggestion that Elvis works in a launderette and knows the identity of Jack the Ripper, whereas everyone knows he works in a Fish and Chip shop.

Comment

Thanks Lech My point exactly but Elvis had a hot dog stand [like a good Yank] Lennon in fact had the Fish shop [Being a Pom].
                      Last edited by GUT; 04-20-2014, 01:48 AM.
                      G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                        Actually this started with the ludicrous suggestion that Elvis works in a launderette and knows the identity of Jack the Ripper, whereas everyone knows he works in a Fish and Chip shop.
                        So, you're saying that you don't believe Elvis? Blasphemy!

Comment

To BTCG

Are you sure Elvis wasn't the Ripper?

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                            To BTCG

Are you sure Elvis wasn't the Ripper?

Cheers John
                            See the other thread. As you continue, you merely demonstrate your desperation.

Comment

I seem to recall a film from the 1970s with Malcome MacDonald and David Warner in which H.G. Wells is trying to catch Jack the Ripper both of them using Wells' "Time Machine" to reach 20th Century America (which the Ripper finds himself more at home in!), MacDonald / Wells is in a fast food place trying out french fries - he does not recall the term from the 1890s. He tastes one, smiles and says "Pomme frits!" Perhaps that was the correct term for "chips" originally.

As for "filet/filay" in terms of pronunciation between English/American-French differences, I believe if you use the term "filetted" (as in "Her corpse was filetted.") it is the English pronunciation that triumphs. I know I don't say "filayted".

Jeff
                              Last edited by Mayerling; 05-14-2014, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X