Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: The Red Handkerchief... - by The Good Michael 25 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: The Red Handkerchief... - by Fisherman 28 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: The Red Handkerchief... - by Sally 48 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: The Red Handkerchief... - by richardnunweek 55 minutes ago.
Barnett, Joseph: Barnett's candidacy - a few issues - by Sally 57 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Limehouse 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: The Red Handkerchief... - (32 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: Time-gap between Eddowes murder and Goulston Graffito - (19 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: So......who do you think it was? - (6 posts)
Barnett, Joseph: Barnett's candidacy - a few issues - (4 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Did JTR ever change his M.O. intentionally? - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: James, the Dog Killer? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Online newspaper archives
Mar 6, 2014, 11:56 pm
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm
Donald Swanson
Dec 9, 2012, 3:40 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.
Mike Covell: A Study in Red – The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper
March 3, 2014, 3:42 am.
Mike Covell: Almost there….
January 24, 2014, 4:05 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper - Year in Review 2013
December 28, 2013, 7:31 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper At Last? - Review
December 9, 2013, 2:08 am.
Mike Covell: From Whitechapel to Whitefriargate
November 27, 2013, 4:15 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 04-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Commisioner

Default Victorian violence

Hello Caroline. Thanks.

"He did hit his wife on one occasion, although so did many a husband!"

Indeed. Just finished the book by Louisa Devey about Lady Lytton. Seems his lordship, in a fit of pique, bit the blood out of her cheek at one point.

He also threatened both her and her (their!) "brats."

Cheers.
LC
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi All,

These may help us to form a sound judgement.

Name:  f27 (640x389).jpg
Views: 259
Size:  141.9 KB
Name:  f27 b (640x381).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  138.5 KB

Regards,

Simon
Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Detective

looks interesting, looking forward to this thread developing further ! thanks tempus, i love it when something new comes along !
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Detective

Wynne Baxter came from Stoke Newington and a JtR communication had appeared in a Stoke Newington street just over a week before this letter was received

It is probably one of the most unusual communications in that it was a message written on a "wooden facsimile of the Ripper's knife...

Morning Advertiser 12th Nov 1888

On Saturday the police at Stoke Newington were informed that there was found in Palatine-road, Stoke Newington, a piece of wood cut in the shape of a cross, on which was written in ink the following words:-"This is a fac-simile of the knife with which I committed the murder.-Jack the Ripper." On the other side was written, "I will visit Stoke Newington next Friday.-Jack the Ripper."
Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Hi Simon!

Many thanks for posting the address side of this postcard. I shall have to study it in greater detail to be sure, but I am almost certain I recognise some of the letter formations already - particularly the flat bottomed 'I' in 'police,' and also the 'S' in Stoke Newington. I shall try - at some point - to post some diary to 17th sept letter comparisons, as well, just so people can see that it isn't just this letter that is similar to the writing of the diary.

With regards to James' hanwriting, the above postcard is quite interesting, as it not only covers the handwriting of the diary, it also matches several words that are to be found in one of James' company memos (particularly the 'yous/yours,' 'I,' 'of',' and the interesting 'with'). The bottom right side of the 'W' in this 'with' has a curiously flattened posture. This flat bottom to the right side of the 'W' is common throughout the diary (again I will try and post this for comparison), and it also occurs in some of James' writing.

Kind regards,

Tempus

Last edited by Tempus omnia revelat : 04-28-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Wynne Baxter came from Stoke Newington and a JtR communication had appeared in a Stoke Newington street just over a week before this letter was received
Odd...I always thought he came from Lewes in East Sussex

Dave
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus omnia revelat View Post
With regards to James' hanwriting, the above postcard is quite interesting, as it not only covers the handwriting of the diary, it also matches several words that are to be found in one of James' company memos (particularly the 'yous/yours,' 'I,' 'of',' and the interesting 'with').
Well, this thread has certainly shifted the shifting sands somewhat more than I could ever have expected when finally choosing to rise this morning after last evening's ale and merriment and then clicking on my internet access machine with a dull head and little optimism that the tide was actually, genuinely, turning at long last, and - wonderfully - in the direction you will all recall I have been dragging you for many a long year now. This is actually the most significant piece of work to come out of Maybrickology since the days of Harrison and Feldman - and for that, young man, you deserve all due praise and our full respect, and - you will note below - the highest honour of all on this site, the Order of the Soothsayer Garter of Truth and General Sword Swishing.

If I was a cynic, I'd be tempted to say 'Where were you when I was getting roundly and routinely battered by the Naysayers and the worried well", but that would be churlish of me given the fact that you have actually done some solid research and actually contributed to our knowledge base with a most fascinating piece of work (more than I have ever done, but let's not dwell too long on that).

I was frustrated, however, to find that the two examples of the letter 'M' in the postcard lacked the rising second-half which is a reasonably consistent theme throughout the journal, and also features very clearly in the famous (and currently still first despite your teasing promises) 'FM' on MJK's wall. Perhaps this feature of his 'M' only really manifested itself in earnest when he was writing it as a capital?

Nevertheless, I have read your thread with tremendous optimism and suddenly believe that you may well indeed have something cooking in your other 'FM' thread which might just shift the shifting sands a little further still. Or, indeed, irrevocably ...

Arise Sir Tempus, Knight of Right and Might.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Detective

Yes, apologies - He lived in Stoke Newington
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Tempus,

You're welcome. Glad you found it useful.

Do you happen to know if this postcard was from the same pack of ten as Saucy Jacky?

Regards,

Simon
Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Hi everyone!
Wasnt going to show you this before I finished my report, but I sense some of you are growing impatient to see it and dont wish to mess you around any further. All I will say is that I am perfectly prepared for some of you to be disappointed with what I have to show you and also for some of you to be completely dumfounded as to what is on display. That is why I wanted to explain it fully; I wanted you to understand that it is what I say it is, and what the diarist wanted you to see. I only hope that the photos come out well enough for you to understand what I am showing you. I will, however, try to give you a brief description of what you are looking at, and how I came to the conclusion, anyway.

Kind regards,

Tempus

P.S. I will place the FM on a new thread, as I want to start afresh.