Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Lets get Lechmere off the hook! - by The Good Michael 21 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Lets get Lechmere off the hook! - by The Good Michael 41 minutes ago.
Martha Tabram: 2 types of knives = 2 people? - by Archaic 43 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Lets get Lechmere off the hook! - by The Good Michael 47 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 55 minutes ago.
Audio -- Visual: "From Hell" to be made into a Tv-series on FX - by Vincenzo 1 hour and 6 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Visual Media: The Missing Evidence - New Ripper Documentary - (54 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Lets get Lechmere off the hook! - (45 posts)
Martha Tabram: 2 types of knives = 2 people? - (9 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Thompson, Meynell - Ripper Conspiracy. - (6 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Robert Paul, Jack the Ripper? - (5 posts)
Non-Fiction: What book should I get next? - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm
Donald Swanson
Dec 9, 2012, 3:40 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.
Mike Covell: A Study in Red – The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper
March 3, 2014, 3:42 am.
Mike Covell: Almost there….
January 24, 2014, 4:05 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper - Year in Review 2013
December 28, 2013, 7:31 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper At Last? - Review
December 9, 2013, 2:08 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Commisioner

Default Lave

Hello Jon. First of all, I apologise for the "siting" rather than "sighting." Atrocious. (In citing siting I lost track of sighting.)

Lave? Well, may or may not have been Lave.

Glad we at least agree on PC Smith.

Cheers.
LC
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn cates View Post

Lave? Well, may or may not have been Lave.
That was a stab in the dark, I wasn't sure it was you who had offered that, but I remembered someone binging it up.

Quote:
Glad we at least agree on PC Smith.
Yes we do. And, given that Mrs Long also saw a man wearing the deerstalker, we have one common, albiet slender, point across two murders.

The fact PC Smith's suspect appeared to be only 28 years old, and Mrs Long's "over 40", must be tempered by a similar confusion spoken by both Diemschitz & Heshburg who estimated Stride's age as around 28, yet she was 45 years old.
Which only demonstrates how unreliable age estimates are, along with estimates of height, and "time" of day.

When you think about, what on earth is there to rely on?

Regards, Jon S.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Commisioner

Default scenario

Hello Jon. Thanks. To be fair, Lave is the most likely one--given the time.

"And, given that Mrs Long also saw a man wearing the deerstalker, we have one common, albeit slender, point across two murders."

Good heavens! It was Sherlock Holmes wot dunnit! (heh-heh)

"When you think about, what on earth is there to rely on?"

Well, for me I need plausibility. Some scenario i can envision without strain.

Cheers.
LC
Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Default Dynamite

Quote:
Hello Dave. Was that the McGrath from the SB ledgers?
Hi Lynn

No (at least I don't think so)...I think I read it a couple of years back...it was definitely on-line...an artist going to paint on the Isle of Wight was bundled off the jetty by the police and detained three days without charges being laid....I seem to recall they were suspicious of his white paint and took it away (initially burying it (!) then retrieving it and, after testing proved it innocent, releasing him without apology or explanation)...

It's so dammed frustrating not being able to recall where I saw it...I've been searching this afternoon but no joy so far....probably gone by now...just like my little grey cells mon ami!

Dave
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Chief Inspector

To Wickerman

You always move the goal-posts and just reiterate your position without debating it.

You've missed the point again, but then you know I'm a 'liberal' who coddles crims.

Lawende is the witness which the meagre extant record suggests the police took the most seriously.

Major Smith is a primary source and, for all his memory lapses, he backs up this notion.

What a strange world you live in, where people cannot even change their attire -- if it means Druitt might be 'Jack'.

Yes, that has to be resisted at all costs, doesn't it?

To Simon

Ahh, the return of the humourless pedant. I thought you weren't reading my posts, Mac and me.

Why don't you make yourself useful and publish that anti-Tumblety source?

To Bridewell

Some sound reasoning there, even if we don't always agree.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Commisioner

Default frustrating

Hello Dave. Yes, frustrating.

Hope you can find it. Sounds interesting.

Cheers.
LC
Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan H
To Wickerman

You always move the goal-posts and just reiterate your position without debating it.
Wick is good peeps, but oh my lord, is this ever true.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Inspector

The book was published in 1881,and it was printed in Czechoslovakia.Yes it was 25 years since the murders that Thomson took office,but surely the memories would have endured.Would he resist the temtation,no matter any pressing needs,to at least gain some idea of possible suspects when the chance presented itself.'Sir Basil Thompson was equally convinced that the Russion,Pedachenco,was the ripper'.This is what Alice writes.I do not know Alice,therefor I cannot comment on her statement.There is no indication of how or when she became aware of Thompson's belief,and of course no evidence that she is speaking the truth.It is words in a book,but so is 'The seaside home'.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
Only if you were wealthy enough to bring the action. There was no legal aid.

Regards, Bridewell.
I wasn't thinking so much of someone bringing an action against the police as wrongful detention being being remarked on in court by a prisoner or his defence. Or whether statistics of any kind were produced when the law was changed. The trouble is that while we know or can safely surmise that the rules were broken, we need to know how often they were broken in order to say with any degree of certain that they were broken in a specific case.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
The book was published in 1881,and it was printed in Czechoslovakia.Yes it was 25 years since the murders that Thomson took office,but surely the memories would have endured.Would he resist the temtation,no matter any pressing needs,to at least gain some idea of possible suspects when the chance presented itself.'Sir Basil Thompson was equally convinced that the Russion,Pedachenco,was the ripper'.This is what Alice writes.I do not know Alice,therefor I cannot comment on her statement.There is no indication of how or when she became aware of Thompson's belief,and of course no evidence that she is speaking the truth.It is words in a book,but so is 'The seaside home'.
Hi Harry,
I don't think we can safely base conclusions on what guesses about what Thomson may been sufficiently interested or been tempted by. The evidence we possess is that he wrote about Jack the Ripper in passing, and from his writings, career, and surviving documents, he was interested in and concerned by events which were contemporary and of immediate concern to him.

As explained, by others as well as myself, there is absolutely no evidence that Thomson was 'convinced' that Pedachenko was Jack the Ripper. None at all. That Pedachenko ever existed is also highly doubtful. And I don't know the author or the article you are talking about, or where or when it was published, so I have no clue as to its reliability, by prima facie it would appear based on Le Queux/McCormick.

Yes, 'the Seaside Home' is mentioned in a book, or rather in notes written in a book, but the writing is authentic, has impeccable provenance, and was written by an informed contemporary source who was probably acquainted with the facts, not by a writer one has never heard of in an unknown publication, using unknown sources, and claiming something which as far as is known has a very unreliable pedigree.

Cheers
Paul