Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Kosminski, Aaron: Kosminski and Victim DNA Match on Shawl - Part 2 - by anna 25 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: Kosminski and Victim DNA Match on Shawl - Part 2 - by anna 43 minutes ago.
Catherine Eddowes: A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match - by Tom_Wescott 2 hours ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: Kosminski and Victim DNA Match on Shawl - Part 2 - by mickreed 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by The Good Michael 5 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Dutfield's Yard Video - by The Good Michael 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Kosminski, Aaron: Kosminski and Victim DNA Match on Shawl - Part 2 - (64 posts)
Catherine Eddowes: A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match - (9 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Dutfield's Yard Video - (7 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Why those particular victims? - (6 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (5 posts)
Fiction: The Seduction of Mary Kelly- William Perring - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Online newspaper archives
Mar 6, 2014, 11:56 pm
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm
Donald Swanson
Dec 9, 2012, 3:40 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.
Mike Covell: A Study in Red – The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper
March 3, 2014, 3:42 am.
Mike Covell: Almost there….
January 24, 2014, 4:05 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper - Year in Review 2013
December 28, 2013, 7:31 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper At Last? - Review
December 9, 2013, 2:08 am.
Mike Covell: From Whitechapel to Whitefriargate
November 27, 2013, 4:15 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > Swanson, Chief Inspector Donald

Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 AM
Sergeant

Beowulf,

I want to dine with Jack.

Ah, but if Aaron Kosminski actually was Jack then that might mean dining on bread crusts from the gutter. Still game?

Don.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Chief Inspector

Yep, ok, according to you the pencil is the same.

I thought Stewart Evans had noticed something different, but memory plays tricks on all of us.

But what about the content?

This is also Simon's point, as I understand it.

That the reference below and to the side, to a conscience-stricken sectarian and no 'Jack' murders taking place after his sectioning make sense as an annotation from Anderson's text (both versions) and no doubt private conversations between men who were chums (and Anderson and/Swanson are wrong anyhow as Coles was murdered and treated by them as a likely 'Jack' murder).

But that the memory-flailing part begins on the end-paper, as it includes details that Anderson -- in the paltry extant record -- did not include, and therefore may show fading synapses?

Accurate bits mixed in with the inaccurate: a brother-guardian, City surveillence, Colney Hatch, his timely demise, his single surname with no others.

How odd to call him a 'suspect' when the emphatic annotation is all about his practically confessing, in a very cartoonish pantomime.

Almost as if the writer's mind has canceled out the previous 'evidence' and reverted to the duller 'suspect' designation

And may have used the same type of pencil.

For me it is an awfully big coincidence that a Jewish witness was used for two 'confrontations' with seamen suspects -- one of whom he allegedly affirmed to -- and much later we see introduced the element of the police hospital which has a sea-element to its name.

I feel that if Anderson and/Swanson remebred that Lawende saw Jack the Seaman then this Seaside Home mirage would disappear.

On the other hand, the biog. of his dad by Anderson's son mentions the Polish Jewish susepct being deceased. Also the Seaside Home being built in 1890 could be unconscious recognbition that Aaron Kosminski was out and about for years after the Kelly murder?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
Beowulf,

I want to dine with Jack.

Ah, but if Aaron Kosminski actually was Jack then that might mean dining on bread crusts from the gutter. Still game?

Don.
uhmmm....maybe I'll just have a little tea:
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Sergeant

Beowulf,

uhmmm....maybe I'll just have a little tea:

A wise choice.

Don.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan H View Post
...Aaron Kosminski was out and about for years after the Kelly murder?
I'm not saying that I absolutely believe Kosminski was JTR, but it is my understanding that he was not exactly 'out and about'. In April 1894 he was transferred to Leavesden Asylum for Imbeciles, where he stayed until his death in 1919.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Chief Inspector

To Beowulf

Sorry, I expressed myself clumsily.

I meant that Anderson and Swanson give the impression in a number of sources that the Polish Jew suspect, eg. the definitive Ripper, was safely caged (and even more safely dead) soon after the Kelly murder.

'Aberconway', let's say written in 1894, shows that Mac knows he is alive -- which he was.

In George Sims' 'Lloyds Weekly' opus 'Who was Jack the Ripper?' he specifically dismisses the notion of a positive witness identification and makes the following comment which matches the real Aaron Kosminski (remembering that Sims is a Mac source-by-proxy) about being out and about for some significant length of time after the Kelly murder:

'The first man was a Polish Jew of curious habits and strange disposition, who was the sole occupant of certain premises in Whitechapel after night-fall. This man was in the district during the whole period covered by the Whitechapel murders, and soon after they ceased certain facts came to light which showed that it was quite possible that he might have been the Ripper. He had at one time been employed in a hospital in Poland. He was known to be a lunatic at the time of the murders, and some-time afterwards he betrayed such undoubted signs of homicidal mania that he was sent to a lunatic asylum.'

'The policeman who got a glimpse of Jack in Mitre Court said, when some time afterwards he saw the Pole, that he was the height and build of the man he had seen on the night of the murder.'

Both these men were capable of the Ripper crimes, but there is one thing that makes the case against each of them weak.

'They [referring to the un-named 'Kosminski' and Michael Ostrog] were both alive long after the horrors had ceased, and though both were in an asylum, there had been a considerable time after the cessation of the Ripper crimes during which they were at liberty and passing about among their fellow men.'

Emphases mine
Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Chief Inspector

Doesn't do much for Martin Fido's Cohen theory... does it?

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Sergeant

It doesn't have anything to do with Martin Fido's Cohen theory.