Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Catherine Eddowes: A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match - by Chris 1 minute ago.
Catherine Eddowes: A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match - by mickreed 2 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Mortuary photographs and sketches - by Scott Nelson 12 minutes ago.
Catherine Eddowes: A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match - by mickreed 17 minutes ago.
Catherine Eddowes: A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match - by mickreed 31 minutes ago.
Catherine Eddowes: A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match - by RockySullivan 38 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Catherine Eddowes: A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match - (75 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Suspect battle: Cross/Lechmere vs. Hutchinson - (13 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack the Ripper and Black Magic: Victorian Conspiracy Theories, Secret Societies and - (10 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Why those particular victims? - (8 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's rings - (7 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Dutfield's Yard Video - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Online newspaper archives
Mar 6, 2014, 11:56 pm
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm
Donald Swanson
Dec 9, 2012, 3:40 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.
Mike Covell: A Study in Red – The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper
March 3, 2014, 3:42 am.
Mike Covell: Almost there….
January 24, 2014, 4:05 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper - Year in Review 2013
December 28, 2013, 7:31 am.
Mike Covell: Jack the Ripper At Last? - Review
December 9, 2013, 2:08 am.
Mike Covell: From Whitechapel to Whitefriargate
November 27, 2013, 4:15 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Hi Sammy

A good book for the background to the murders is "East End 1888" by William J Fishman.

You say you're interested in the effects of the murders on the late nineteenth century. If you mean that literally, it only gives you 12 years to study, so I assume the period of study extends into the early 20th?
Hello Sammy,

Yup, Robert is bang on the mark here. The book really does give the correct feel, atmospghere and social sonditions of the area-

best wishes

Phil
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Cadet

Thanks everybody for all the suggestion. I have followed up on alot of them and think that I am on the right path to getting my research rolling in the right direction. Like I said I am a medieval historian and know how to find those sources backwards and fowards but modern England is new to me. (find my accident while reading Begg's A to Z so I have to thank him.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
When is the paper due, Zach?
The paper is due on the last day of school, so just thinking on the top of my head sometime in early May.

its a 35 page paper which is the longest I have written though that doesnt bother me cause if any of you were undergraduate History Majors, you end up writing about 40 pages a semester.

I just wish that I could get my hands on some newspapers and periodicals but my university's bookstore is the worst.

Last edited by Sammy P. : 03-13-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Superintendent

Sammy,
For a paper of 35p. due in 2 months you'll be fine with just the secundary lit, no need of too many primary sources. You can use the casebook newspapers section (just click on Press Reports in the list on the margins to your left), plus you can subscribe to www.newspaperarchive.com for only 4-British pounds per month, first week free.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Superintendent

Default On Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariab View Post
Hello Zach/Sammy.
You'll most definitely won't need The ultimate JTR sourcebook yet, unless you become a Ripperologist for life. To have a reference, general book on the case, buy Philip Sugden's The complete history of JTR (by all means buy the revised edition from 2002). Sugden's a historian and has taught at the University of Hull. His book can be bought pretty cheap at amazon, also second hand. This one book is completely sufficient for the kind of study of the case you have in mind.

Books on the social history of Victorian London: Try Jack London, Donald Thomas' The Victorian underworld, Alex Butterworth's The world that never was: A true story of dreamers, schemers, anarchists, and secret agents, as already mentioned by others William Fishman's East End 1888, and Christopher Campbell's Fenian fire. These you might be even able to borrow from a library, otherwise they're available at amazon for less than 10-British pounds each. A great book with photographic documentation is Philip Hutchinson's/Rob Clack's JTR's London then and now.
Hello Sammy

My apologies.

On reflection, I think Maria is right. You should probably delete The Ultimate JTR Sourcebook from your list. It's an excellent reference source on the murders themselves, but probably not helpful to your particular line of enquiry at this stage. Thank-you, Maria, for your prompt and intelligent intervention. You gave the subject matter rather more thought than I did.

Regards, Bridewell
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Cadet

Default Senior Thesis Paper Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy P. View Post
Hello fellow ripper enthusiast,
My name is Sammy and I stumbled upon this particular site and believed that it would be a great place to get some help that I am in desperate need of having.

I am a European history major at Troy University (emphasis to Medieval Europe and the Northern Crusade.) and am taking my senior seminar class getting ready to graduate. For this class, my professor (Dr. Welsh one of my person heroes and a brilliant man.) has set the curriculum in modern Britain. That being so, my paper topic is Jack the Ripper. More specifically, instead of trying to discover the murderers identity I am writing on How the White Chapel murders created or influenced the great reforms of the late 19th century.

I have read the books:

Ripper A to Z Paul Begg.

Jack the Ripper The Definitive History. Paul Begg

and though I have finished both these books and they were extremely informative, I have run out of sources and in desperate need of other books or articles that can fit into my research. Any would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so very much,

Zach "Sammy" Peffer
Good morning, Sammy --

You may want to read the following books which will give you a flavor of the conditions of the London slums during the Ripper murders:

"People of the Abyss" by Jack London (my personal favorite)
"London Labor and the London Poor" by Henry Mayhew
"East End 1888: Life in a London Borough Among the Laboring Poor" by W.J. Fishman

I have also just finished an excellent book entitled "Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect" by Robert House which gives a good introduction into the background of the Jewish population of the London slums during the Ripper murders and how this tied into the hunt for one of the prime suspects.

Good luck with your studies and welcome to the site!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Cadet

Thank you all so very much, I have had a pretty great breakthrough in my research and am well into writing my paper.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Superintendent

Good luck with the thesis, Sammy. Hope you return to the forum at some point.

Best Wishes, Bridewell.