Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I kindy ask for help/feedback

Hi All,

As some of you might have seen, I've been working on a map lately. I was looking for a good map for my study wall but haven't been able to find any. The 'Jack the Ripper: Whitechapel 1888 Map' that people have talked about seems to be sold out for good, so I desided to make my own.

I've based it on the much used 1894 Ordnance Survey Map and gathered the info from casebook.org and a number of other sites. The map shows the following locations:

- Murder site of Martha Tabram
    - Murder site of Mary Ann Nichols
    - Murder site of Annie Chapman
    - Murder site of Elizabeth Stride
    - Murder site of Catherine Eddows
    - Murder site and addr. of Mary Ann Kelly
    - Location of Catherine Eddowes apron
    - Satchell's Lodging House
    - Willmott's Lodging House
    - Crossingham's Lodging House
    - Queen's head, Public House
    - 6 Fashion St.
    - White Swan
    - White Hart
    - Frying Pan
    - Brittania
    - Ten Bells
    - Horn of Plenty
    - Prince Albert
    - Commercial Street Chambers
    - Two Brewers
    - White House
    - Victoria Working Men's Home
    - Princess Alice
    - Bricklayer's Arms

I would like to kindly ask for some of your skilled feedback if you are willing to give it to me. Even though I've done my best to check the locations, I'm sure that many of you have seen these locations mapped again and again and will be able to point out any mistake that have slipped me. I hope that the final map ultimately can be found good enough for the casebook wiki.

You can find it here: map.jpg

I've made it using Gimp. If any of you would be interrested in the source file, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Ditlew
    My Personal JTR Map

If the map you're looking for is the JACK'S LONDON, NRSC Ltd, copyright 1994, I have a few copies left. If you'd be interested in one, please e-mail me at needler@ntelos.net. Ask around first, though, and make certain I'm not a crank or a crook!

Cheers.

Judy

Comment

well done Ditlew. Respectfully Dave
      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Hi Ditlew

I recently recorded the 2009 Conference DVD on which Philip Hutchinson gives an Alternative Ripper tour. On that are a few JtR locations not included on your map that might make it more comprehensive?

Off the top of my head.

We went down Whites Row, where Annie Millwood lived? Also Womens night Refuge is at the end of that road. Next to ten bells there is the shop that James Kelly pawned his boots, going south Christ Church and Itchy Park, site of plan memorial to the Victims, you have the Princess Alice where we turned towards Castle Ally site of Alice McKenzie’s murder, this runs parallel with Goulston Street, site of Graffittti, We then cross Whitechapel High Street towards Commercial road, On that junction, nr White Heart, is a Kentucky shop the site of Angel Ally.

Re: Berner Street. This gives an excellent wide of the area. You can see Fairclough Street junction where Brown claims he saw LizStride and where it meets Christian Street, where Mr Spooner Claims he stood outside the beehive pub. And Brown claims he saw a policeman.

You can also see Ellen Street where Schwartz claimed his wife had moved that day.

We then went to Pinchin Street, which is just off your map at bottom, heading to St George in the East Mortuary and lastly Swallow Gardens, site of Coles Murder again not on your map.

Suspect wise to the North of the Berner street murder your map shows Green Field Street where Aaron Kosminski’s Family lived. If you follow that to the top and turn Right you see the London Hospital. Elephant man and where Emma Smith was taken. You might want to mark the place she claim she was attacked corner Wentworth and Brick lane. Batty Street source of lodger theories runs parallel with Berner street.

If any of this helps you are welcome. The DVD available from: www.ripperconference.com/dvd

Good luck with your map. I’m sure there are other import things you could add.

Pirate Jack

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback!

@needler:
          The map I was looking for was actually this one: http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...ripperart.html.

@Pirate Jack:
          I have now ordered the DVD and are looking forward to see it! The locations that I've picked for this map are those relating to the murders that I personally find are likely to have been committed by JtR. But I might be making a 'full set' map.

It has been a fun task so far, using the casebook.org site, www.deadpubs.co.uk, www.victorianlondon.org, maps.google.com/streetview and a number of others. I see why so many like digging the archives

One location that I'm a little unsure of is the White Swan but I've based it location on this source (the 1882 entry).

Best Regards,
          Ditlew
          My Personal JTR Map

Comment

Ditlew,

I'm glad I stumbled onto this. You've done quite a bit of work here. The reason I know this is because I've been doing very much the same thing, in the last few weeks, using the ord-map from the site, among others. Your map is looking very good. I especially like the way you've keyed it. It's roughly what I was doing, too. My problem, in mapping these points, is that the zooming in and out is time consuming and, when the map is zoomed out, it's hard to see the details that I've plotted. It's hard to tell at a glance what's going on. Good luck with your project. After seeing this, I'm tempted to wander off into the wilderness, but I think I'll just keep working on my version, for my own edification and satisfaction. Thanks for posting.
            Last edited by Celesta; 04-06-2010, 08:00 PM.
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
              Ditlew,
              I especially like the way you've keyed it. It's roughly what I was doing, too.

Make that 'plan on doing' as I'm still in the tinkering phase, at the moment.
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Celesta,

Thank you very much! My end result was a 50*70 cm poster. I had to let go of Gimp and used Photoshop instead for the final version to get the crisp text that I wanted in the print out resolution.

I thought of adding more locations but kept it to canonical '6' relevant ones, since adding more gave me an aspect problem and I didn't want to put text on top of the map details.

You should absolutely make you own map and forget all about mine until you are done !! Digging sites and pages for info to base the map on is a great experience as I'm sure you already know!

Looking forward to see your map!

Best Regards,
                Ditlew
                Last edited by ditlew; 04-07-2010, 12:28 AM.
                My Personal JTR Map

Comment

I deluded myself for awhile that there's the "right" base map out there. One that can be used handily, but I've not found it yet. I thought I had yesterday, but, then after I printed it and spliced it together, I realized I would have to add details. I don't know if my eyes are good enough or my hand steady enough to do that anymore. Some pertinent streets are missing! Perhaps I need to think in terms of two maps. One that can be used for the big picture, so that important features can be seen at a glance, and one that is more detailed, like what you've done here, that has to be zoomed in and out. I've done the same as you did with the pubs, coloring them in. Some of the other things I plotted have been a little disappointing once plotted because their distribution was rather smaller than I had imagined. The colorized ord-maps, provided by Rob Clack, were very useful for that. I'm not an expert on the photo manipulation programs. I have Gimp, paint, and another one, but haven't used them much till now. Frustrating! I've thought all along that a simple base map, not as detailed as the ord-maps, more of a line-drawing type map, would be very useful also. The only thing is, I'm probably going to have to make it myself and that means a lot of work. All the maps I've ever done have been by hand, so this computer jockeying is a learning experience for me.

Anyway, good job on your part. I'll keep at it. Thanks for your encouragement.

Comment

Conan Doyle Help Please

I am trying to find the interview where Conan Doyle espoused his Jill the Ripper theory. Can anyone help please?

Thank you, K

Comment

Kirke,

See if this will give you some ideas:

You might want to do a Search, up there at the top of the screen.

Comment

This map business is enough to make a person crazy! If I get a map that can be easily seen and read, then some of the pertinent streets are missing! How do you plot something at the junction of two streets when, not only that street isn't on the map, but adjoining streets that might help in plotting an approximation of the street, are also missing? Ahhhhhnhhhhh!

Comment

'It not the goal it is the road'. I once thought of converting the ordinance map to a vector map instead to get a prober resolution, but I found the task to be too huge, though I'm sure the community would find it usefull.

Best Regards,
                          Ditlew
                          My Personal JTR Map

Comment

Yes, it's too large. Splitting it up would be alright, but then you don't get the big picture. You can't take it in at a glance. I tried the maps from Probert. They work a bit better but, as I said above, streets are missing, and of course you don't get the detail. I'm still at it though. At least it will be something I can quickly open and use when I need to. At any rate, I'm having a lot of fun with it and learning a lot about the layout of London, both Victorian and present day.

Comment

Working...
                            X