Hanbury Street Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanbury Street Photos

The following are stills taken from the DVD The London Nobody Knows, a documentary filmed in the Sixties and presented by James Mason. It is highly recommended for anyone interested in the period before mass redevelopment gave rise to the modern London landscape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Han1x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	669881

Name:	Han2x.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	669882

Name:	Han4x.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	669883

Name:	Han6x.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	669884

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

And these:-

Name:	Han7x.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	658845

Name:	Han11x.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	658846

Name:	Han13x.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	658847

Hope they are of interest.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

I saw the clip on youtube, it was very excellent.
      It's interesting to see these places fifty years after the event, before it was all redeveloped.
      "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Agreed, MR. And the yard is much smaller than it appears in the well-known black and white photographs. A great deal more secluded too.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Thanks Garry. Some of the closed up spots in 1888 must of had some junk piled in them.
          Watching James in the backyard is the most interesting.
          He and I are the same height, so that made the scale more obvious for me.

Very cool. Thanks
          Dave McConniel

Comment

In which case, Dave, the following may be of interest:-

Name:	Han8x.jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	658849

Name:	Han9x.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	658850

Assuming the boundary fence to have been of a similar height to that which traversed the crime scene, one wonders how Cadosch failed to see the killer from the adjacent yard.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Hi Gary,

Thank you for these images. I loved the video when I first watched it.

Cheers
              Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post

[ATTACH]8307[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8308[/ATTACH]

Assuming the boundary fence to have been of a similar height to that which traversed the crime scene, one wonders how Cadosch failed to see the killer from the adjacent yard.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.
                It is.
                I need to start writing down where I hear things, but another program said the fences were only 5 feet high and the neighbor only had to have peeked over the fence and he would have seen the killer and Annie.

However much of the fence they show is of interest.
                I a 360 degree view would worth archiving.

I'm really enjoying these.

(plus, it's James Mason. Who doesn't love James Mason?)
                Dave McConniel

Comment

This seems to crop up every few months, why I'm not sure, but it does. Albert Cadosh, who was a carpenter and probably had a keen eye for estimating a length of wood, said the "palings" were 5 foot 6 inches. That he said palings is interesting as well because, although we have no way of knowing, had the fence been built properly there would have been a gap of one to two inches between the bottom of the palings and the ground to guard against wet rot. This would have pushed the effective height to around 5-8, and that would have been above the eye height of most East Enders at the time.

In any case, the fence in the video is assuredly not that which was extant in 1888.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

The bottom rail looks close to the ground.
                    Lower than I would put it.

If the steps are proper, they'll be ~ 7 1/2 inches.
                    So you could use the door (even though canted) to measure out to the fence for a scale.

Figure James at 6 feet in shoes.
                    Dave McConniel

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post

[ATTACH]8307[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8308[/ATTACH]

Regards.

Garry Wroe.
                      If there was enough light for Richardson to have trimmed his boot, how could he possibly have missed seeing Annie?

curious

Comment

Hi Garry

Thanks for the pics.....I have seen the Video too and it is a wee goldmine for Ripperologists.

I need to start writing down where I hear things, but another program said the fences were only 5 feet high and the neighbor only had to have peeked over the fence and he would have seen the killer and Annie.

DaveMC I'm certain it was Martin Fido that said that......I think it was in the 1988 Documentary "Shadow of the Ripper".
                        My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

......or was it Don Rumbelow?
                          My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

The fence - 5 ft 6-8

Annie - 5 ft

Annie`s companion - a little taller than the deceased

James Mason - 6 ft in his shoes

Comment

This seems to crop up every few months, why I'm not sure, but it does.

Perhaps, Don, because of statements like the following …

Albert Cadosh, who was a carpenter and probably had a keen eye for estimating a length of wood, said the "palings" were 5 foot 6 inches.

Most people tender such estimations in relation to their own height. I see nothing to suggest that Cadosch was an exception. By contrast, a number of press reports generated by journalists who certainly visited the crime scene estimated the height of the boundary fence at approximately five feet. In view of this disparity, the issue is far from cut and dried and is, therefore, a legitimate topic of discussion.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Working...
                              X