Community/Respect/Standards of behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My pleasure, John :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

BTW, I fully endorse the sentiment of dogs being buried in their masters' hearts, but folks shouldn't try it with their pet budgie as they may develop a flutter.

Comment

Nice one, Robert, the Goons, and the budgie flutter... I guess one should be careful with a cat as well, as it could induce a stroke.

Comment

Oh blimey yes, AP - furred-up arteries.

Also there were one or two 1888 policemen one wouldn't want to adopt - and end up skipping a beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert
          AP is a friend. Phil Hutchinson is an honest man.
          I think Robert just called AP dishonest. Never thought I'd see that.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Well you didn't see it. I did nothing of the kind.

Comment

I saw this thread the other day when it started with the
              one post from Dave .. with these words included ..
              "all worthy of the same respect"

Now there are pages and pages of it.
              Anyway for what it is worth I totally agree.

Ally has said, "The premise that all are entitled to respect is
              a false one."
              and .. "The idea that civility counts more than honesty is one
              I do not support."
              Each to his own opinions of course .. that is part of respect
              for each other.

I feel we are all of the human race and more connected than we know,
              no matter who anyone is or what they have done, they are entitled to respect.
              Who knows what went before to get them in their predicament.
              We are responsible for our own actions only, we are not responsible for another,
              nor the judge and executioner of another.
              And don't they say .. teach by example?

And of course honesty is more important than civility .. but they can
              go hand in hand, you can say anything you want or feel ..
              It is just the manner in which you do it, that says such a lot.
              "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
              of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

I don’t want to stir the pot here but this has been bugging me for a week now so I have to make this point concerning the DYF. Would anyone suggest that the Mona Lisa hanging in the Louvre is a fake because it has been repaired and restored over the years? How about the paintings on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, are they fake? They undergo annual work to preserve and restore them. And Is Donatello’s statue of David in the Bargello any less authentic because it has undergone recent restoration? I’m not saying that a photo from London Circa 1900 is comparable to these masterpieces in terms of Art but there can only be one standard. If I understand this right Philip did some work to the photo to repair damaged areas. Surely if we are judging the authenticity of any piece based on work that restores that piece to as near original condition as possible then we must apply the same standards to this photo that we apply to all mediums of art.
                'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
                  Hi Robert,

"I have never met any of you, but I promise to haunt you all with the Ying Tong Song in EVP when I'm dead."

Personally I can't wait that long, but in order that these unfortunate souls are fully aware of the terror to come, any chance you can post a link.

Rgds
                  John
                  You will be sadly disappointed when you get to me and see the line. Dave
                  We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria View Post

I feel we are all of the human race and more connected than we know,
                    no matter who anyone is or what they have done, they are entitled to respect.
                    Who knows what went before to get them in their predicament.
                    So that guy who hangs around in the middle of my village all day out of his head on drugs and booze is due my respect is he? Even when he's also pushing booze onto kids of 12. Errr... not in my book he isn't... he's due a smack in the mouth.

I know his past too. Tough. He needs to sort it out and move on instead of cluttering up everyone's life with his constant scrounging.

Comment

Originally posted by johns View Post
                      So that guy who hangs around in the middle of my village all day out of his head on drugs and booze is due my respect is he? Even when he's also pushing booze onto kids of 12. Errr... not in my book he isn't... he's due a smack in the mouth.

I know his past too. Tough. He needs to sort it out and move on instead of cluttering up everyone's life with his constant scrounging.
                      Hang on....just let me get your jackboots
                      protohistorian-Where would we be without Stewart Evans or Paul Begg,Kieth Skinner, Martin Fido,or Donald Rumbelow?

Sox-Knee deep in Princes & Painters with Fenian ties who did not mutilate the women at the scene, but waited with baited breath outside the mortuary to carry out their evil plots before rushing home for tea with the wife...who would later poison them of course

Comment

Hi
                        I have to say that I agree with JohnS - repect has to be earned, some people just don't deserve it.

Politensss is free and I will be as polite as I can to people but if you aren't respectful to me then expect the same back.

Tj
                        It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by johns View Post

I mean respect that he is a human being with feelings, we might not
                          like what he is doing, most especially when it affects others.
                          When I see people like that .. down and out on the street, I really feel
                          for them, what has led them to this state and the waste of life.
                          But saying that, if I saw them pushing drugs/booze onto kids .. it would
                          be a different matter.

He may not be able to "sort it out and move on" ..
                          when you are so down and out ..
                          a tough call from that place, but easy to say when we feel we are in a superior position.

Maybe I should have used the word compassion in this instance ..
                          "There but for the grace of God go I"
                          You never know .. what we are seeing with distaste, could have been our
                          own, in some other time.
                          "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
                          of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

Working...
                          X