Emma Smith - where exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGB
    The Goad map of the western side of Brick Ln, between Wentworth and Thrawl Streets, gives the yard between Taylor's and No 7 as being an opening with a 'passage under' it would seem therefore to be a covered entrance - the gate is pure conjecture on behalf, imagining that it is a loading bay or some such for the factory.
    Hi David, that's very useful information and a very keen observation on your part. Thanks. Is there a scan of this on this or another thread where it has this info?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Link

Hi Tom

Check out the link in post #17 - it leads to one of Rob Clack's postings

All the best

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thank you for pointing me to that post, and to David for providing the ‘key’ definition. This locale is more in line with Miller’s Court than with Berner Street or Buck’s Row, as only Miller’s Court had a covered entry such as is shown on this Goad’s map. By chance does Miller Court appear just like this on the 1890 Goads?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom

This is all I have to hand at the moment (not on my home computer), but you're right Miller's Court does have the same entryway - the two curved ends - |) (|

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          Dave,

Thank you for pointing me to that post, and to David for providing the ‘key’ definition. This locale is more in line with Miller’s Court than with Berner Street or Buck’s Row, as only Miller’s Court had a covered entry such as is shown on this Goad’s map. By chance does Miller Court appear just like this on the 1890 Goads?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DGB View Post
            Thanks Rob

The seeming absence of houses, (not to mention the big 'E' on the OS map) made things difficult, so it's good to have that sorted.

I assume the covered entrance was to a loading yard of some such, used by the factory. I imagine it was gated, which is of interest considering Nichols, Stride and Eddowes, even if it's unlikely that Emma Smith was a Ripper victim.
            I agree Bridewell, I suspect little had changed for the Goads, so therefore 3 loading bays, and engineers shed and van shed.

Also hay lofts.

The ) is the roof profile.

Here is a Goads key.

Cheers
            Monty
            Attached Files
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for posting the Millers Court map, and Monty for the very useful Goads key. It's interesting that the Millers Court entry is rendered much longer than the Brick Lane one, as I always thought of the Millers Court passage to be rather short.

I wonder if the presence of so many hay lofts in Brick Lane suggests a stable? Though one isn't listed Would all of these supplies have belonged to Taylor's, to the business at number 7, or someone entirely different who had rented out those spaces?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Brace yourselves for a pedantic question.

Are we are looking at extracts from the 1890 Goads?

Is the key any different for this than the one kindly offered by Neil, Copyright 1926?

Thanks, Jon S.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I wonder if the presence of so many hay lofts in Brick Lane suggests a stable? Though one isn't listed Would all of these supplies have belonged to Taylor's, to the business at number 7, or someone entirely different who had rented out those spaces?
                  The presence of van storage suggested the same to me, Tom...and suggested delivery from the factory to at least wholesale outlets or railway yards etc...All surmise though at this stage...

Interesting parallel to Dutfields though...

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave. The gate in front of which Polly Nichols was killed was identical in construction to the Dutfield's Yard gate and led into a stable. Of course, Dutfield's Yard was no longer a stable (Diemshitz housed his pony in George Yard, but not THE George Yard).

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      The gate in front of which Polly Nichols was killed was identical in construction to the Dutfield's Yard gate and led into a stable.
                      Hi Tom.

Do you mean that the gate in Buck's Row had a "wicket" that let people pass through even if the gate itself was locked?

Thanks,
                      Archaic

Comment

Well, is that thread about "where it happened" or "where Emma Smith said it happened"... ?

Hello Bunny, hope you're fine my dear.

Comment

Bonjour David, joyeux printemps!

Hey, I learned a new phrase: T'as pas fait chier la bonne blonde!

I think it will come in handy...

Yer pal,
                          Archaic
                          Last edited by Archaic; 04-14-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic
                            Hi Tom.

Do you mean that the gate in Buck's Row had a "wicket" that let people pass through even if the gate itself was locked?
                            Sorry, just now saw this. I'll have to get back to you on that, but off the top of my head, no, it didn't.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

The gates in Bucks Row.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bucks Row.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	663613

Rob

Comment

pavement

Hello Rob. Thanks for posting that. I've not seen that view before.

Would you happen to know the width of pavement there? I've seen some views that show it to be quite narrow.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X