No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1965 February 6 - Mary Jones, 37, disappears while out on a night of partying in Benton Harbor, MI. She is a another victim of Clarence W. Walker, a serial killer. Her partial remains were found early in March along with two other women he had murdered. Later in the same month, her head was discovered in another location. Walker was captured later in the year and given a sentence of life in prison.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 February 8 - As he arrives at his Toronto home, Charles Massey, the cousin of actor Raymond Massey, is shot and killed on his front porch. Mr. Massey's killer is, his maid, Carrie Davies, 18, who claims that she shot him in order to defend her honor. Davies was put on trial and, although she admitted to killing her employer, the jury returned a verdict of not guilty.

50 years ago - 1965 February 8 - In San Antonio's Gunter Hotel, a maid enters room 636 to find it covered in gore from top to bottom. She stands in shock as a man rushes past her and out of the door. That man will soon be identified a one Walter A. Emerick. Two days later, police locate him in another nearby hotel but he kills himself with his gun before they can get his door open. The volume of blood in room 636 left no doubt that a murder had occurred there and the presumed victim was a tall blonde woman who had been seen with Emerick on the day before the maid's discovery. Despite major efforts by police, the victim was never identified nor was her body ever found. The popular theory is that Emerick chopped her into little pieces, ran those through a meat grinder then flushed that product down the toilet.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 February 15 - Nineteen-year-old Delores Young is snatched off the street in Benton Harbor, MI and murdered by serial killer Clarence Walker. Ms. Young's naked body was found in a burned house on the following day. Walker was captured later in this year and given a life sentence.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 February 16 - The body of Bridie O'Hara, the final victim of Jack the Stripper, is found behind a storage shed. Bridie had last been seen in front of a London hotel five weeks earlier. Effectively and although no-one knows it yet, this is the end of the case since the serial killer was never captured or identified.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 February 21 - As he prepares to speak at a Harlem rally, Malcolm X is assassinated. Talmadge Hayer, Norman 3X Butler and Thomas 15X Johnson were convicted of gunning down the black activist leader. All three men were sentenced to life terms but all were later paroled.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              50 years ago - 1965 February 15 - Nineteen-year-old Delores Young is snatched off the street in Benton Harbor, MI and murdered by serial killer Clarence Walker. Ms. Young's naked body was found in a burned house on the following day. Walker was captured later in this year and given a life sentence.
              I'd never heard of Walker before, but he seems to have been a real piece of work: http://murderpedia.org/male.W/w/walker-clarence.htm
              - Ginger

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1865 February 28 - Jane Taylor dies of, what will later prove to be, antimony poisoning. She is the mother-in-law of Edward William Pritchard, a British physician, and when the doctor's wife dies under similar circumstances, three weeks later, he is arrested and put on trial. Dr. Pritchard, who was also suspected of killing a servant in 1963, was convicted of these two murders and hanged in Glasgow before the year was out.
                Last edited by sdreid; 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 400 years ago - 1615 March 10 - In Scotland, John Ogilvie, a Catholic priest, is hanged and disemboweled for treason. The treason was his refusal to recognize the jurisdiction of King James, a Protestant.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 March 13 - Edward Deegan is gunned down in a Massachusetts alley. Four men were wrongly found guilty of the murder and their convictions were eventually thrown out. The actual killers are now believed to be mobsters Joseph Barboza and Vincent Flemmi.

Stan Reid

Comment

400 years ago - 1615 March 10 - In Scotland, John Ogilvie, a Catholic priest, is hanged and disemboweled for treason. The treason was his refusal to recognize the jurisdiction of King James, a Protestant.
                      Yep didn't take a lot to be treason back then.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1865 March 18 - Mary Pritchard dies in her Glasgow home after a brief illness. She is the wife of Dr. Edward William Pritchard and her death raises some suspicions since her mother had succumbed from a similar malady three weeks earlier. The women's bodies are tested and both are found to be poisoned with antimony. Dr. Pritchard was convicted of the murders and hanged later in the year. The killer was also suspected of murdering a female servant in 1863.
                        Last edited by sdreid; 03-15-2015, 04:50 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

150 years ago - 1864 March 18 - Mary Pritchard dies in her Glasgow home after a brief illness. She is the wife of Dr. Edward William Pritchard and her death raises some suspicions since her mother had succumbed from a similar malady three weeks earlier. The women's bodies are tested and both are found to be poisoned with antimony. Dr. Pritchard was convicted of the murders and hanged later in the year. The killer was also suspected of murdering a female servant in 1863.
                          Boy I'm glad some laws have changed hanging for killing your wife and mother-in-law, who says the old days were better. Definitely justifiable homicide n my humble opinion.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1915 March 19 - Lenora Cohn, 5, is strangled, stabbed and mutilated on a landing in her New York tenement. She had been out fetching a pail of milk for her mother. A tuft of gray hair clutched in her left hand was the only real evidence. In following days, her mother and police began receiving jeering letters threatening more murders. The correspondences ended with the signature, "H.B. RICHMOND, Jack-the Ripper". As per threat, another child murder occurred six weeks later but the slayings then apparently ended leaving the killer uncaptured and unidentified.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 March 25 - Viola Liuzzo, a civil rights activist, is gunned down while driving through Alabama. Murder charges were sought against four Klansmen but only three of the individuals were convicted on lesser charges. The fourth man, who was an FBI informant, was tried for murder but was acquitted. None of the suspects served more than six years in prison.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1965 March 30 - Diane Carter, 7, is abducted and murdered by serial killer Clarence Walker. Her defiled body was found in rural Michigan several days later with the remains of two other Walker victims. Walker was eventually convicted of a crime in another state and sent to prison there.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X