Seaside Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    There is Stewart Evans's suggestion of an ID at the Sailors' Home in Wells St.
    There's quite a lot of information about the place here:-

I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

I don't have my books to hand, but wasn't it in "Scotland Yard Investigates"?

Comment

In 1888 the dreaded figure of Jack the Ripper stalked London's East End murdering prostitutes. His crimes set in motion a huge police operation and have held a dark fascination over the public's imagination for over a century, yet his identity has never been proved. Now, for the first time, two leading Ripper experts have joined forces to treat the case like a police investigation. Drawing on their unparalleled knowledge of the Jack the Ripper murders and their professional experience as police officers, they uncover clues that have remained undetected for over a hundred years. There are five 'canonical' Ripper victims, yet Scotland Yard's 'Whitechapel Murders' files include another six suspected victims. Drawing the reader into the world of police investigation in Victorian London, Evans and Rumbelow reveal the conflict between the City and Metropolitan forces and the ridicule heaped on the police by the press. Investigating each murder, they conclude that only four of the eleven victims were actually killed by the Ripper. Perhaps most tellingly, they question the motives behind the destruction of evidence – particularly the message 'The Juwes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing', which was chalked on the wall near one murder site and rubbed out on order of the Chief Commissioner – and ask whether the enigmatic Dr Robert Anderson, officer in charge of the investigation, knew the Ripper's true identity. Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates strips away much of the nonsense that has accumulated since 1888 and reopens files on a case that will perhaps never be fully solved but will always fascinate.

Comment

Hello Colin,

Whilst I admire the effort you have put into this idea, it is worth remembering that at this time there were dozens of 'Seaside Homes' all over the south coast.

The original suggestion of the Police Seaside Home at Hove came, I believe, from Donald Rumbelow. Please excuse my memory if faulty.
          I do not believe he was aware of the myriad of possible places said 'Seaside Home' could have been at the time of his suggestion.

So.again..with great respect..if the 'Seaside Home" comment is to be believed in itself as true.. there are far many greater possibilities than a police orphanage.
          (I used to live relatively near to the above)

Regards

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil

Wasn't the suggestion based on the fact that the 'seaside home' was capitalised?

Comment

Hi Phil

Wasn't the suggestion based on the fact that the 'seaside home' was capitalised?
              Hello Robert,

I cannot recall it.. but bow to your better memory. ☺

Best regards

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

There is Stewart Evans's suggestion of an ID at the Sailors' Home in Wells St.
                That was the most interesting solution I remember being offered.
                I was wondering if anyone had researched into the possibility.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                  Hello Robert,

I cannot recall it.. but bow to your better memory. ☺

Best regards

Phil
                  Hi Phil
                  Wasnt James Sadler subjected to an ID parade at a seamans home in connection with the Eddowes murder ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                    Hi Phil
                    Wasnt James Sadler subjected to an ID parade at a seamans home in connection with the Eddowes murder ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Sadler was put in an I.D. parade at Leman St P.S. (and it was Coles, 3 years later).
                    He had been staying at the Sailors place in Well`s Street, and he had been fingered by a fellow seaman whilst he was there (if you excuse the expression).

Comment

Hi Phil

Which would suggest that Swanson had a particular location in mind - the Seaside Home of his understanding. I wonder if this reference was a private joke, rather than an allusion to the Police Convalescent Home in Hove. I can't believe that they 'sent' Kosminski' (assuming Aaron was meant) all the way from Colney Hatch to Brighton. Why not somewhere closer to home?

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                        Which would suggest that Swanson had a particular location in mind - the Seaside Home of his understanding. I wonder if this reference was a private joke, rather than an allusion to the Police Convalescent Home in Hove. I can't believe that they 'sent' Kosminski' (assuming Aaron was meant) all the way from Colney Hatch to Brighton. Why not somewhere closer to home?
                        maybe the sailors home, for whatever reason, was used as an unofficial ID parade place by police? Is there any affiliation between the police and this place at all?
                        "Is all that we see or seem
                        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi Colin

It does seem a very strange place to stage an ID, and the thinking has tended to be that the witness was convalescing in the home. But that would entail the witness being a Jewish policeman who put his religion before his duty as a policeman, and I find that very difficult to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                            In the serialisation of his memoirs in 1910 Anderson wrote: 'I will only add that when the individual whom we suspected was caged in an asylum, the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him...' It could be inferred from this that Kosminski was identified in the asylum.
                            However, this line was not included in the book edition, possibly because Anderson realised it was untrue. Other explanations for its absence are possible, of course. Swanson makes it clear that the identification took place before Kosminski was committed, because he states that after the identification the suspect was watched by and night by the City police, then taken by his family to the doctor, who committed him. If this is correct then Kosminski was not taken from Colney Hatch to Hove.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                              In the serialisation of his memoirs in 1910 Anderson wrote: 'I will only add that when the individual whom we suspected was caged in an asylum, the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him...' It could be inferred from this that Kosminski was identified in the asylum.
                              However, this line was not included in the book edition, possibly because Anderson realised it was untrue. Other explanations for its absence are possible, of course. Swanson makes it clear that the identification took place before Kosminski was committed, because he states that after the identification the suspect was watched by and night by the City police, then taken by his family to the doctor, who committed him. If this is correct then Kosminski was not taken from Colney Hatch to Hove.
                              Thanks, Paul. I should have picked up on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X