Barricaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    If you were the killer in Millerīs Court, and you pulled the table to a position in front of the door, and you thereafter pulled the bedstead to a position beside it, you would have barricaded the door with the table and the bedstead.
    Except my dear boy that this didn't happen in 13 Miller's Court because the door was first 'opened' and then it 'knocked against' a table. A door that is barricaded does not open. And the bed in this case was 'close up against the wooden partition'. It was not blocking the door. Nor was it even touching the table. As Phillips made clear, the table was only 'close to the left-hand side of the bedstead.'

So, on the evidence, my dear boy, the idea that the door was barricaded is a non-starter.

Comment

Hi Pierre

If there was an attempt at a barricade surely it was the least effective example of a barricade in the whole history of the art of barricading?

Why do you think that the door was barricaded and what do you deduce from it?

Regards
      Herlock
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        Hi Pierre

If there was an attempt at a barricade surely it was the least effective example of a barricade in the whole history of the art of barricading?

Why do you think that the door was barricaded and what do you deduce from it?

Regards
        Herlock
        he thinks the ripper came thru the wall like the kool aid man. hello pierre. i still see the doorknob but that,s me and noone else sees it so que será. i just could never scale out a drawing of the door around the table in the way you are proposing.
        there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

The killer could not have used the table, which in all likelihood meant the table under the windows, not the night table, to barricade the door.....the windows were locked when the room was entered. So he didn't exit via a window. He exited via the door, and set the latch to lock when it closed. Which was done by setting the latch "off".

People have over the years suggested the room was set to inhibit access, I think that's probably the case. But that was done with latches and locks, not a piece of light flimsy furniture.
          Michael Richards

Comment

I'm not sure what's going on in this thread

Asking if Kelly could have used the table to barricade the room isn't a bad question. It certainly seems possible to me. I think it was Prater who described using furniture to barricade her own door, so it's not that unimaginable that a woman in the area would feel safer doing this, especially with an unsecured door.

The table could be flimsy and not stop the door from opening when pushed but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been used that way. The idea could be just that the door being harder to open would act as a deterrent or alert the occupants (Kelly) to the noise so she could react.

Of course, all the factors that could indicate she barricaded the door could just mean that the room was small. The table being in an oblique position could just be the result of the killer moving around the room.

I don't think it really changes anything if the killer was the one barricading the door while committing the murder. Most of the things we work with when talking about the murder work just the same regardless of whether the killer did that.

It's obvious to me that the killer didn't barricade the door before leaving. Unless I'm missing something, there's no indication he could have easily slipped in or out of the windows. You can't leave a room and barricade it from the inside after closing the door behind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flower and Dean View Post

It's obvious to me that the killer didn't barricade the door before leaving. Unless I'm missing something, there's no indication he could have easily slipped in or out of the windows. You can't leave a room and barricade it from the inside after closing the door behind you.
              Which is precisely why any barricading argument is a dead end.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                Which is precisely why any barricading argument is a dead end.
                I don't know. I've been trying to barricade myself against idiots on this website for years.
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  I don't know. I've been trying to barricade myself against idiots on this website for years.
                  It'll never work.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Ignore List. Works like a charm.

Comment

Haha.Don't hurt yourself.
                      Last edited by Varqm; 08-04-2017, 06:43 PM.
                      Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
                      M. Pacana

Comment

But, "some posters" enjoy complaining about other posters. If they hit 'ignore', they can't see what those others are saying, so they can't complain anymore.
                        That's why they'll never use it.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I'm guessing this thread isn't really about the gruesome murder of a young woman and is about something else I'm still missing

Comment

But, "some posters" enjoy complaining about other posters. If they hit 'ignore', they can't see what those others are saying, so they can't complain anymore.
                            That's why they'll never use it.
                            So true.

Comment

Originally posted by Flower and Dean View Post
                              I'm guessing this thread isn't really about the gruesome murder of a young woman and is about something else I'm still missing
                              Well you pretty much nailed the problem in your previous post.
                              The photograph of the back of room 13 shows those windows were sash-windows. The bottom frame is off-set just a little from the upper frame indicating the lower frame would slide up. This is a sash window design, and it beggars belief that the police wouldn't have tried to slide the windows up from the outside.
                              If the killer climbed out through a window he couldn't lock it so it would have easily slide up on Friday morning.
                              So logic dictates those windows did not open, either because they were so rotten or because they were locked from the inside.

The fact the door hit a table as it swung open does not mean the table obstructed the door in any way. We don't know at what point of the swing the door hit the table.
                              The door being barricaded has no foundation.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Well you pretty much nailed the problem in your previous post.
                                The photograph of the back of room 13 shows those windows were sash-windows. The bottom frame is off-set just a little from the upper frame indicating the lower frame would slide up. This is a sash window design, and it beggars belief that the police wouldn't have tried to slide the windows up from the outside.
                                If the killer climbed out through a window he couldn't lock it so it would have easily slide up on Friday morning.
                                So logic dictates those windows did not open, either because they were so rotten or because they were locked from the inside.

The fact the door hit a table as it swung open does not mean the table obstructed the door in any way. We don't know at what point of the swing the door hit the table.
                                The door being barricaded has no foundation.
                                I didn't say it had. My post that you're quoting is about the off-topic conversation going on. I don't want to get involved so I'm sorry if I should have ellaborated more, but I think it's obvious what the issue is when a thread (even a useless one) has so many posts and many are just about personal conflict between users.

Anyway, I agree that yes, speculating whether the killer barricaded the door or not is pretty pointless. There's no indication that he barricaded the door before leaving through a window.

On the other hand, I think it'd be interesting to know if Kelly may have barricaded the door (or tried to) at some point. I've seen conversations before asking about why she didn't seem more scared and why she didn't barricade the door, and this being used to support theories about her movements in the last few hours of her life or about who the killer could have been. (There's no way of knowing whether she did, either, but then again there's no way of knowing specifics about a lot of things we discuss here anyway.)

Comment

Working...
                                X