Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs McCarthy

Hi All,

Here's an interesting little story which appeared on the day of the MJK inquest.

Evening News, 12th November 1888

REPORTED LETTER FROM THE MURDERER

"It is reported this morning, from Spitalfields, that Mrs. McCarthy, the wife of the landlord of No. 26 Dorset street, this morning received by post a letter signed Jack the Ripper, saying that they were not to worry themselves, because he meant to 'do' two more in the neighbourhood, a mother and daughter. The letter was taken immediately to Commercial Street Police station and handed to the Inspector on duty.

"The Press Association, on inquiring at Commercial street Police station, subsequently was assured that no such letter had been received there."

Was the police denial true or false?

See Letters From Hell, p 116.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Simon,
    I am just a tiny bit surprised to see you taking this kind of claim seriously.Macnaghten said that when he took office the mail bin at Scotland Yard, which was large-was always full to the brim with fresh "letters from the ripper" from every type of person imaginable.So if all the McCarthy"s got was one letter they were very lucky!

Comment

Hi Norma,

You're surprised to see me taking which kind of claim seriously?

Have you looked at Letters From Hell, p 116?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Simon,
        No I hadnt seen page 116 in," The Letters from Hell" book, but I have now had a look at it and read the rest of the text.It seems to me to be yet another prankster.But sound off Simon----your argument might persuade a closer look and new revelations!
        Best
        Norma

Comment

Well spotted Simon.

David Sheridan.

Comment

Hi David,

As the newspapers get such a bum rap on these boards I thought it provided a useful instance for helping us decide what was true and what wasn't during the Whitechapel murders.

If your name is Sheridan, what does VV stand for?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon,

As the newspapers get such a bum rap on these boards I thought it provided a useful instance for helping us decide what was true and what wasn't during the Whitechapel murders.
              Exactly what I meant with "well spotted".

VVood.

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

Hello you all!

Me, personally, find the following thing possible;

The Real Ripper may have posted some letters too, but they were put into the dust-bin as pranks!

What it comes to the letter mentioned by Simon, obviously it was regarded as just one of the pranks!

All the best
                Jukka
                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
                  Hello you all!

Me, personally, find the following thing possible;

The Real Ripper may have posted some letters too, but they were put into the dust-bin as pranks!

What it comes to the letter mentioned by Simon, obviously it was regarded as just one of the pranks!

All the best
                  Jukka
                  Hi Jukka
                  Why deny the existance of a hoax?
                  It seems that the october 30th letter ,on this thread below ,written less than two weeks before was regarded highly enough to be reproduced.

For discussion of multiple letters or communications that do not have a specific forum.

And Simon,apologies for not spotting this thread before starting another on what appears to be the same letter
                  You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Didn't Natasha find a ripper letter that was sent FRom McCarthy's address?

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                      Didn't Natasha find a ripper letter that was sent FRom McCarthy's address?
                      Can anyone shed any light on this?

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post
                        As I remember it was sent to McCarthy.

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                          As I remember it was sent to McCarthy.
                          Hi C4
                          Yes,the thread itself is about the letter sent to Mrs McCarthy ,it's the mention of Natasha finding a letter sent from McCarthy i'm finding interesting...
                          Check out my link earlier to the October 30th letter as well and how the content matches up with this one...not only that but the 'this time i'll take their hearts' ....9 days later he did just that

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                            Hi David,

Regards,

Simon
                            5 years on and i still don't know what the VV stands for in relation to Sheridan,i'm presuming it's Sheridan the poet.Love it that he was born in Dorset Street,albeit Dublin lol. Simon if you can help us out here please

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post
                              I can...I meant Mrs. Maxwell: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=6812

Comment

Working...
                              X