Status of Ripper Notes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
    It has been difficult to contact Dan lately but much of this seem to be due to the fact, as has already been alluded to, that his father was almost killed in a serious accident just before the holidays. Near tragedies like this tend to put perspective on life.
    What a shame it wasn't made clear that this was the reason for the problems.

From what had been posted previously, I got the impression that it was something to do with someone not having passed on messages - or else Dan Norder trying to avoid unpleasant Casebook politics.

I am sure people would have been a lot more understanding if this near tragedy had been mentioned at the outset.

Comment

Chris, I had mentioned this in the 'WHERE'S DAN?' thread but I didn't state the exact circumstances because I didn't know if Dan didn't want people to know about his private life. The waiting on articles and avoiding Casebook politics particulars still hold true, but they are ancillary rather than principal.

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Dear Phil & Wolf:

With all due respect to you two...and to anyone and everyone in the community who has issues which prevent them from responding to questions relative to Ripperology, I fail to see why Dan or Kelly have made any public attempt on their own to simply explain the demise of both the RN site and the RN-Extra site..and the subs owed to those who paid for the magazine.

Its not as if he is not present on AIM....unless someone nicked the screen name "dan norder" on that AOL function..

Comment

Hello everybody,

I should like to extend my best wishes to Dan for his father's prompt and full recovery.

That said, everybody has both a public and a private life. Neither should be neglected, but the proper balance should be established between them. In the present circumstances, it would appear that private priorities apparently preclude a public person - a businessman, in as far as he has accepted money in exchange for a product - from attending to his obligations. This is perhaps understandable, but an effort could have been made at least to reassure creditors - both subscribers and authors who are owed royalties. There is no need to disclose any aspect of anyone's private life. It would have been enough to say that some time away from business was needed to attend to urgent private matters and that more information will be available as soon as possible.

Cheers
          Hook
          Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
          Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

I became aware of this, and more, when Dan contacted me privately, and I posted a reassurance that there was a good reason for his silence.

I wasn't more specific because it's Dan's private life, not mine. Why would I break a confidence.

It's a bit convenient that some of the same parties who were ridiculing Dan are now offering condolences, but in the same breath saying, "Well, he still should have said something."

Try almost losing a parent sometime and see how much you want to deal with some "protected folks" on this board.

I've become less and less enamored of Casebook:JTR of late, given the libelous behavior of... and screw it, I'm just gonna drop the charade and name the name... Ally.

And sorry, Ally, but I've worked in publishing-related fields most of my professional life, including newspapers and I do know libel law. And you've done that here, because you think you can.

You're not merely "stating facts," you've posted quite a bit of your own opinion based on speculation and out-and-out hostility toward Dan and Ripper Notes. Enough that it would be quite easy to prove ILL INTENT and INTENT TO CAUSE HARM to RN, INKLINGS PRESS and Dan himself.

So get off your high-and-mighty hobby horse and be grateful Dan's not the litigious kind. If it were me, you wouldn't be so lucky.

And since Queen Mean will abuse her power and position once again and likely ban me for calling her out on her crap... I bid you all adieu. I don't need Casebook:JTR anyway... not what it's become.
            All my blogs:
            MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

While I wish Dan's father a speedy recovery, his accident explains a lack of contact for Dec 08, maybe. It does not explain the past two years of non-publication. It does not explain his not replying to Neal for months on end about money he owes him. It does not explain his past due accounts with subscriptions and apparently continuing to accept money for subscriptions he apparently can't meet.

And I want to make it REALLY clear here, that there is absolutely NO WAY that "CASEBOOK POLITICS" which is a bullsht excuse if ever I heard one, explains the lack of publication, Dan's not replying to Neal for MONTHS on end, or the overall problems with Ripper Notes schedule and the fact that Dan owes people money for YEARS now and can't be arsed to reply to their emails for months on end.

So I am very sorry for Dan's father that he was in an accident. But that is not a sufficient excuse for the last two years or for Dan ignoring people for months who he owes money and an explanation to. Family tragedies suck, but if you go into business and take money from people, you don't get to ignore them for months on end and then claim a personal tragedy and the last two years get erased by an accident that apparently happened a month ago.

And as for Craig suddenly getting his big boy britches on and doing the "Oh I am going to be brave and get banned because I am going to say Ally's a bitch and get banned" please. You know people, I realize that you like to say that because it makes you look all tough and that's THE favorite rumor to spread around, but grow up Craig. Bigger boys than you have gone up against me and they are still around, so drop the crap. The bullsht that " I " am allowed to get away with things that every other person on these boards aren't allowed to get away with is totally and completely false. Everyone here is allowed to be fairly free to do whatever they want until they get stupid and start mouthing off to the administration after they've been asked to desist. Then they get the boot. And everyone here knows it so the whiny little "Ally takes advantage"' is the pathetic blather of the weak-minded and the infantile.

And total offense MEANT: but if a business is now TWO YEARS overdue in money and subscriptions owed to people and they can't be arsed to give an explanation when it is asked by the people they OWE MONEY TO then any ILL INTENT and INTENT TO CAUSE HARM is entirely of their own doing and completely deserved.

Dan has completely SHIRKED his responsibilities. He owes money to people that THEY earned, and he HAS NOT. He needs to quit playing the whine and blame game and it's never his fault, grow a set of balls and take responsibility for the magazine that HE WILLINGLY took over, and either come clean and call it a day and pass it to someone who CAN do it, or get off his butt and start making magazines.

His father's accident of a month ago, is not sufficient to explain the last two years of negligence to his creditors.

Let all Oz be agreed;
              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Ally:

You go girl.

Let me simply add this on....what if the financial responsibilites accrued reached into the thousands of dollars in some other endeavor, say in a non-Ripper context? Would anyone hesitate one second in requesting an explanation? Some see this as a case of someone taking advantage of the fact that they are so far away and that this business of RN is being conducted on the internet and not down on Main Street.

By the way, the screen name "dan norder" is still functioning on AIM.

It speaks volumes.

Comment

I kicked off this latest round of slinging. I wish no personal injury to Mr Norder or his business. His family's well-being must of course be a first priority. But... as Ally mentions this is a long-standing issue and so the primary question remains unanswered: Is this still a magazine or not?

Comment

I still haven't been paid my due roylaties for my book.

It's sad that Mr CraigInTwinCities seems to think that it's ok for people not to be angry over not being being given money or publications they're entitled too, oh well adieu Mr Craig

Comment

Bigger boys than you have gone up against me and they are still around
                      Damn right I am.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

You couldn’t make this stuff up, even if you were writing the latest episode of Eastenders, could you?

I’d just like to add that it breaks my heart to see the two people I love most in casebook world slowly tearing themselves apart.

As ‘Black Adder would say “you heartless gloater” Pirate

Comment

That was Percy, Jeff

B.
                          Bailey
                          Wellington, New Zealand
                          hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                          www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

some beans m'lord

Comment

Why not subscribe to the Whitechapel Society Journal.

We get it out six times a year on time, every time!

And it's cheap too!

ADRIAN.
                              (Editor: WSJ)
                              Hello

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post

We get it out six times a year...
                                ...and it looks almost nothing like a turnip - or a thingy.

Love,

Baldrick
                                XXX
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X