No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 years ago - 1959 September 18 - Serial killer Harvey Glatman is executed in California.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Gee, Stan, there can't be many of us around here who remember the "Lonely Hearts" murderer. I can still recall his trip to the gas chamber featuring in the Toronto papers.

Comment

I don't actually recall Glatman from the time Maurice but I do remember some others from live news who predated him like Starkweather for instance.

Stan Reid

Comment

Well, there you've got me. I don't recall having heard of Starkweather. But, as usual, you've sent me off to search the web for what I'm sure is interesting stuff.

Comment

Ah, got it now. Starkweather and his under-age girlfriend. I think I must have read a book about it yonks ago. Odd case.

Comment

Yes, Starkweather was a sensation here in the midwest in 1958. My earliest memory of an ongoing crime was the William Cook murder spree in 1950-51.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1959 September 25 - Prime Minister Solomon Bandaranaike of Ceylon is shot. He will die the next day. The assassin was a Buddhist Monk named Talduwe Somarama. He converted to Christianity shortly before he was hanged in 1962.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1959 September 29 - New York mobster Little Augie Pisano aka Anthony Carfano is murdered with a shot to the back of the head while sitting in his Cadillac. His female companion, Mrs. Janice Drake, wife of comedian Alan Drake, met the same fate at his side. As usual in these cases, the perpetrators eluded justice.

Stan Reid

Comment

I missed a few because I couldn't get in here. They're on that other site.

100 years ago - 1909 November 1 - English entrepreneur, George Storrs is stabbed to death in his home by an invader. He apparently knew that he was going to be murdered in advance but never told who or why. The case is still unsolved.
                    Last edited by sdreid; 10-30-2009, 07:45 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1859 November 2 - In Baltimore, Barklee Kyle is attacked and killed by a mob after leaving an election meeting.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1959 November 14 - A 12-year-old girl named Lorna Lax vanishes in San Francisco. Her beaten, stabbed and strangled body was found in woods the next day. It was later discovered that she'd been prostituting herself to local boys. Clifford Fortner, a 15-year-old, eventually confessed to the killing and was incarcerated.
                        Last edited by sdreid; 11-13-2009, 06:15 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1959 November 15 - A Kansas robbery turns into a massacre of the four member Clutter family. The shooting and stabbing led to the hanging of Richard Hickock and Perry Smith, the perpetrators. This crime was the basis for the book and movies In Cold Blood.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1959 November 16 - Wilma Selby is gunned down as she enters her Houston home. Her husband, Joseph, had put Clarence Collins up to the crime. Both men and two women who acted as intermediaries were convicted of murder. Three got 99 year sentences. One of the women who cooperated in the investigation did three years.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1909 November 18 - Twelve Austrian Army officers receive pills in the mail that the sender asserts will enhance their sexual performance. Only Captain Richard Mader tests the claim and promptly dies of cyanide poisoning. All the intended victims had been classmates at a Military Academy with Adolph Hofrichter who was having a less successful career in the service. He was eventually convicted of the crime and sent to prison.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1909 November 19 - Oscey Martin is discovered starving and drowned in an East Orange, New Jersey bathtub. Her mother, Caroline Wardlaw Martin, along with Caroline's sisters, Virginia Wardlaw and Mary Wardlaw Snead were charged with murder. They were suspected of killing family members for inheritance and insurance money. Other victims were the poisoned Mr. Martin and Mary's son, John, who was burned to death. Caroline was found guilty of Oscey's murder but insane. Virginia starved herself to death in jail and Mary was acquitted.
                                Last edited by sdreid; 11-17-2009, 06:24 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X