Does anything rule Bury out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John G View Post
    Paul Harrison, an expert eviscerater, also consulted by Trevor Marriott (he assisted Dr Calder), observed: "To work in such an intricate manner, and to remove the kidney carefully and the uterus without damaging the surrounding tissue would be very difficult."
    He did damage the tissue surrounding the kidney and uterus, though. There were evidently accidental punctures/stabs to the organs immediately in the vicinity of the left kidney, only part of the uterus was excised (with a stump left in the body), and Eddowes' descending/sigmoid colon had been cut.
    In fact, Dr Calder and Paul Garrison, in controlled experiment, attempted to remove a kidney using a six inch Victorian knife. Having made an initial incision, similar to the one inflicted on Eddowes, they found it impossible to remove the kidney with that size of knife.
    We don't know exactly what knife the Ripper used.
    The problem was not only with the knife itself, but also on account of the abdominal cavity filing with blood (in the case of Eddowes there would have been even more blood as she'd just been killed.
    There would have been less blood, as she'd had her neck slashed open. I've pointed this out to Trevor in the past; his experiments, though commendable, really ought to have replicated the conditions as closely as possible, but they didn't. Having said that, it would be unethical to exsanguinate a living being by slitting their throat, so it's probably just as well they didn't try!
    And the perpetrator had the added disadvantages of working in darkness and under time pressure.
    I'll grant you that, but I'm pretty sure a surgeon/medical-student would have coped much better. For one thing, a person with actual "skill" wouldn't have faffed around with that enormous incision from sternum to pelvis, and hoiking all those intestines out of the way, merely to get to the uterus. (I know he took the kidney as well, but he didn't do that with Chapman, and she was disembowelled to the same degree.)

Anyway, how does all this relate to Bury?
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      Which ties into my theory that Bury's mind was unraveling. I'm looking for a logical explanation for Bury as the Ripper. Killing his wife might have been the last straw, hence his decision to visit the police instead of making a break for it.
      Hi, Harry D,
      If Bury were JtR, maybe he did not think he had anywhere to run.

All the other women had been strangers, anonymous, and could not be tied to him. He could leave them and walk away, and the women could not be traced to him.

However, once he killed Ellen, everyone had to know who he was. Perhaps he killed her in a drunken rage, began the mutilation and came to himself, which accounts for the mutilations being less. Plus, she was his wife. Wouldn't that likely make a difference? Perhaps since he knew he was the Ripper, it never occurred to him that the cops would not immediately recognize his work.

So, once the Ripper had killed Ellen, she was tied to him and now everyone would know who the Ripper was. They knew what he looked like.

He and Ellen had moved to Dundee, and even there people were talking about the Ripper. Bury seemed to always think himself more than he was. If he was known in Dundee, is it possible he thought JtR was known everywhere -- that there was no where to run?

So, he sat in that foul basement and pondered. As he thought, he drank, he returned to the corpse, he came to, he pondered. Perhaps he had outsmarted the police before and thought he could again.

In just the past week or so, I've read of a serial killer who got away with murder for years -- until he killed his girlfriend.

BTW, I don't think he intended to kill Ellen. He brought her to Dundee with him because she knew who he was. However, the big boxes he had constructed were for show -- to make people think they had a lot more than they did. Today, people with the need to display do so with expensive luggage -- Bury used extra big trunks.

Just my musings,

curious
      Last edited by curious; 08-09-2017, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post
        Hi, Harry D,
        If Bury were JtR, maybe he did not think he had anywhere to run.

All the other women had been strangers, anonymous, and could not be tied to him. He could leave them and walk away, and the women could not be traced to him.

However, once he killed Ellen, everyone had to know who he was. Perhaps he killed her in a drunken rage, began the mutilation and came to himself, which accounts for the mutilations being less. Plus, she was his wife. Wouldn't that likely make a difference? Perhaps since he knew he was the Ripper, it never occurred to him that the cops would not immediately recognize his work.

So, once the Ripper had killed Ellen, she was tied to him and now everyone would know who the Ripper was. They knew what he looked like.

He and Ellen had moved to Dundee, and even there people were talking about the Ripper. Bury seemed to always think himself more than he was. If he was known in Dundee, is it possible he thought JtR was known everywhere -- that there was no where to run?

So, he sat in that foul basement and pondered. As he thought, he drank, he returned to the corpse, he came to, he pondered. Perhaps he had outsmarted the police before and thought he could again.

In just the past week or so, I've read of a serial killer who got away with murder for years -- until he killed his girlfriend.

BTW, I don't think he intended to kill Ellen. He brought her to Dundee with him because she knew who he was. However, the big boxes he had constructed were for show -- to make people think they had a lot more than they did. Today, people with the need to display do so with expensive luggage -- Bury used extra big trunks.

Just my musings,

curious
        I like your musings.

plus if the local brats had scribbled that graffiti on his door-might have lead to some what your talking about.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post

Hi.

This story sounds very interesting. Can you point me to more information on it please? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by johns View Post
            Hi.

This story sounds very interesting. Can you point me to more information on it please? Thanks
            Hi, Johns,
            Sorry. Should have documented that. I know better.

Was surfing at the time and my brain just tucked that away -- you know how brains work.

At least 25 long-haul truckers are currently imprisoned for serial murders. In 2009, the FBI revealed their database, the Highway Serial Killings

Keith Hunter Jesperson

He also wrote graffiti and communicated with the media.

Here is another interesting case of a serial killer who unraveled and got careless, killing his roommates, one of whom was a cousin.

His MO changed drastically when he killed the people he knew. Unless the authorities find other killings, he was dormant for a long time.

curious
            Last edited by curious; 08-11-2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Comment

• I still think nothing rules Bury out and a lot rules him in.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                  I still think nothing rules Bury out and a lot rules him in.
                  If it weren't for Alice McKenzie, I'd be fairly set on Bury as the Ripper. However, he remains the best named suspect we have on the balance of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                    If it weren't for Alice McKenzie, I'd be fairly set on Bury as the Ripper. However, he remains the best named suspect we have on the balance of evidence.
                    Agree. Mackenzies the stickler for me too, as I think she was probably a ripper victim.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Agree. Mackenzies the stickler for me too, as I think she was probably a ripper victim.
                      Why the massive gap between Kelly and Mackenzie then?

Comment

Hello John
                        All the circs that night point to mary and her killer knowing each other. The killer was lying low.

and also, it maybe the only time, the killer was totally satisfied with the experience, indulging his full fantasy, so maybe he was satiated for a while.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          Hello John
                          All the circs that night point to mary and her killer knowing each other. The killer was lying low.

and also, it maybe the only time, the killer was totally satisfied with the experience, indulging his full fantasy, so maybe he was satiated for a while.
                          It's still a large gap though. I'm not convinced by your points at all. If you're ruling Bury out purely because you believe Mackenzie was a Ripper victim you're on shaky ground.

Comment

People travel.

Comment

It's still a large gap though. I'm not convinced by your points at all. If you're ruling Bury out purely because you believe Mackenzie was a Ripper victim you're on shaky ground.
                              no not ruling bury out at all-hes one of my favored suspects actually.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

As we don't know the killer's circumstances, we can only speculate. As Abby said, perhaps the killer was laying low. It has been known for serial killers to have downtime. He may have been locked up or sent to a workhouse. Perhaps his physical/mental faculties were failing him, hence the de-escalation? All these theories have been posited before and they're no less valid today.

Comment

Working...
                                X