Television Documentary on D. B. Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television Documentary on D. B. Cooper

Last night I watched part one of a two-part documentary called "D. B. Cooper: Case Solved?" which was very interesting. He was the hijacker in November 1971 who took over a jet plane and demanded cash and parachutes, but was gone by the time the Boeing 727 landed in Reno. It seemed he had asked for the rear doors to be lowered, then had jumped with a parachute over the forests of Washington state.
    Eight years later, some of the money was recovered on a beach by a small boy and his father. Nothing else has been found of "Cooper" or his ransom money, despite a lot of searching by the FBI and other agencies, including private amateur sleuths.

This series sends a crime journalist and former FBI agent to investigate various leads and suspects, and then they meet with a pair of gentlemen who claim they've tracked down the real culprit. I like the presentation which is not sensationalized, and shows an incredible amount of research. Looking forward to seeing part two and learning more about their suspect.
    Last edited by Pcdunn; 07-12-2016, 07:18 AM. Reason: Correcting typo.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Pcdunn,
    Yeah the DB Cooper is a doozy!
    The Wikipedia article is pretty good, with lots of references to follow up if you wish.

The man had real bottle.
    He sipped a couple of Bourbons and water, and even insisted on paying his drinks bill.

Cool customer.

Comment

Hi, Barn,

I was about sixteen that Thanksgiving, and I recall being fascinated by the story when it broke because it seemed so bizarre. Planes had been highjacked before, but this was the first time the highjacker had left in midair!

The documentary is very good, especially for looking at several of the people who either claimed to be Cooper or were suspected by others of having something to do with it. I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the case.
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Most people have some outlaw they are fan of, a gunslinger, a kissing bandit, a freedom fighter...

for me it's always been DB Cooper. I cant help it. Just so effin' cool.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Spookily enough, the film "The pursuit of DB Cooper" is just about to start on tv

Comment

Outlaws and wolfs heads, bandits and thieves...

Originally posted by Errata View Post
            Most people have some outlaw they are fan of, a gunslinger, a kissing bandit, a freedom fighter...

My favorite outlaw is Robin Hood.
            ---------------
            ---------------

Comment

Dear old MJK's cousin Ned, for me.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                Spookily enough, the film "The pursuit of DB Cooper" is just about to start on tv
                Well, that was mildly entertaining, but I'm not sure it stuck to the known facts. At least, not the ones I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post

A kissing bandit? Is that a real thing, or something you've dreamt up in a moment of unguarded fantasy, like a Mexican apple thief?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                    A kissing bandit? Is that a real thing, or something you've dreamt up in a moment of unguarded fantasy, like a Mexican apple thief?
                    Haha it's a phrase for a gentleman bandit, like in the old west who would rob a stage coach and hand down the lady and retrieve her bags for her while robbing the strongbox. A gentleman, charming, courtly to the ladies, a kissing bandit.
                    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Yes, our bushrangers in Oz would assure any nervous female passengers on the stagecoaches they robbed 'We don't harm ladies, ma'am.' It was good PR. Maybe these women thought they might suffer a fate worse than death!

Comment

D. B. Cooper, according to the young stewardess he had the most interaction with, was very polite, and never threatened her or harmed her in any way. The young male passenger sitting near Cooper in the other aisle admitted he was a bit annoyed at all the attention the guy in sunglasses was getting from the stewardess. (Lol, if he'd only known why!)
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          Yes, our bushrangers in Oz would assure any nervous female passengers on the stagecoaches they robbed 'We don't harm ladies, ma'am.' It was good PR.
                          Of course, the ones who got killed (eventually) and shoved down a dingo's den weren't around to testify to the contrary...
                          - Ginger

Comment

Thanks Errata, I've not heard that phrase 'kissing bandit 'before, but I like it. At least, I did before Ginger dispelled the romance!

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                              D. B. Cooper, according to the young stewardess he had the most interaction with, was very polite, and never threatened her or harmed her in any way. The young male passenger sitting near Cooper in the other aisle admitted he was a bit annoyed at all the attention the guy in sunglasses was getting from the stewardess. (Lol, if he'd only known why!)
                              Apart from the huge bomb he threatened to blow her up with. I do get your point though, a gentleman bomber. Whoever he was he was ultra cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X