No announcement yet.

Television Documentary on D. B. Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the suspect's name is Robert Wesley Rackstraw, and if even half of his resume is correct, he was very cool, indeed.

Here's a link to the episodes at History,com:

Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

I taped and watched the first episode not realizing that it was in two parts. Very frustrated not to be able to see the conclusion. Did they make a sufficient case against Rackstraw? I was really amazed at his strong resemblance to the composite sketch.

c.d.

Comment

Well-- yes and no

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        I taped and watched the first episode not realizing that it was in two parts. Very frustrated not to be able to see the conclusion. Did they make a sufficient case against Rackstraw? I was really amazed at his strong resemblance to the composite sketch.

c.d.
        Hello, C.D.

Well, as I recall, they questioned Rackstraw, but got no affirmative answers. The documentary ended with the evidence being boxed up to be returned to storage. The government says it isn't actively pursuing the investigation, but the case, if leads appear, will be reopened and looked at.

This link has some of the footage regarding Rackstraw at YouTube, and you might be able to find part two of the documentary "D. B. Cooper: Case Closed?" at YouTube or elsewhere on the Internet.

The site D B Cooper.com seems rather interesting for buffs of the case. I don't know how accurate the information on the site is, though.

One thing recently discovered on the Travel Channel program "Expedition Unknown" was evidence found on the clip-on tie "Cooper" left behind. Apparently testing showed that the owner of the tie probably worked either in the production of scanners or CRT screens.
        They also discovered that "D.B." should have been "Dan", and that "Dan Cooper" was a character in French-language comic book popular in Canada, about an adventurer who did exciting things like skydiving from planes. Maybe our suspect was Canadian?
        Another man suggests that Dan Cooper never landed in the tall forests of Washington, but more safely in the high deserts of Nevada.
        All food for thought.
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

I accidentally watched a documentary on DB Cooper last night. A different one I think, it was more focused on whether he could have survived the jump, rather than suspect. Although it did analyse the artists impression with some facial recognition software and it came up with one Duane Weber. He apparently confessed on his deathbed that he was Dan Cooper, but it seems he has been eliminated from enquiries due to the DNA sample recovered from the necktie. From what I understand, though, the DNA evidence seems questionable.

Comment

Clarification...

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
            I accidentally watched a documentary on DB Cooper last night. A different one I think, it was more focused on whether he could have survived the jump, rather than suspect. Although it did analyse the artists impression with some facial recognition software and it came up with one Duane Weber. He apparently confessed on his deathbed that he was Dan Cooper, but it seems he has been eliminated from enquiries due to the DNA sample recovered from the necktie. From what I understand, though, the DNA evidence seems questionable.
            Hi, Joshua.

It wasn't DNA found on the clip-on tie. It was particles of a material used in making CRT screens.

Exotic metal particles discovered on a clip-on tie could reveal new clues about the infamous D.B. Cooper hijacker.

Theories suggest Boeing Aircraft, or a contract company doing work for them, but nothing is solid yet.
            ---------------
            ---------------

Comment

Thanks Pat for the link.
              The metal particles on the tie look like a new discovery. A random website I found suggested up to three profiles of DNA were found on the tie in 2007. But as it's only assumed, not proven, to be Cooper's tie, who knows whether the DNA (if the story is accurate) or the traces of metal are of any use in identifying him.

Who is D.B. Cooper? The question has persisted since November 24, 1971, when a mysterious man hijacked a flight from Portland to Seattle, demanded parachutes and $200,000, and skydived into folk-hero history. Cooper’s identity and fate remain unknown — and many theories about both abound.

Comment

Well I ended up watching the second part of the documentary today on youtube and it appears the case will go unsolved. Cooper seemed like a pretty smart guy. I can't understand why he appeared to be so unprepared for dealing with hypothermia once he hit the ground. Jumping in a thin suit and loafers doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe if he had some sort of survivalist training he felt assured of making a fire but it was late November and raining so I would have to assume that even if he survived the jump itself that he would have been in the early stages of hypothermia when he hit the ground.

c.d.

Comment

I read a comment on one of the sites that Cooper might have had a confederate on board who had winter clothes in his bag and which Cooper could have put on before he jumped. Seems a bit far fetched and I don't know if the other passengers took their bags with them when Cooper allowed them to leave the plane.

c.d.

Comment

what if he jumped into a different area?

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    I read a comment on one of the sites that Cooper might have had a confederate on board who had winter clothes in his bag and which Cooper could have put on before he jumped. Seems a bit far fetched and I don't know if the other passengers took their bags with them when Cooper allowed them to leave the plane.

c.d.
                    One new theory, mentioned in "On the Trail of D.B. Cooper" (an episode of the documentary series [B]Expedition Unknown[B]) is based on new info about the plane's flight path. A fellow thinks Cooper jumped later than we all believed, landing not in densely forested terrain, but on Nevada's high desert of sand and sagebrush. He'd certainly would have had better odds of survival there, I think.

---------------
                    ---------------

Comment

Thanks for that, Pat. I understand the plane's flight path is the object of controversy. Didn't the pilot say something about being able to feel the steps sort of bounce back like a diving board indicating that he had jumped?

c.d.

Comment

I have heard that, yes. But apparently flight logs seem to indicate a turn to the east at some point, which would place them over Nevada.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

Working...
                        X