Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    Consider if you will that I asked Ed to critique my book. The hours of his life spent toiling over my text are hours that now belong to me. I do not pay him. He works for free. I shall separate the wheat from the chaff and will - at my own leisure - make corrections to my manuscript based upon his feedback. This makes my work better. He has my gratitude.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
    Well, if Edward makes your work better, then I think we all should feel gratitude towards him.

How that does not make him your master is something I find hard to grasp. I find that those who are on top of things are the ones more likely to be the masters than those who need correction.

Then again, the whole concept of people being other peoples masters is kind of ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      Well, if Edward makes your work better, then I think we all should feel gratitude towards him.
      Absolutely.

Originally posted by Fisherman
      How that does not make him your master is something I find hard to grasp.
      Bless your heart, I know it is.

I find that those who are on top of things are the ones more likely to be the masters than those who need correction.
      Follow the money.

Then again, the whole concept of people being other peoples masters is kind of ridiculous.
      It's how countries are built.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom_Wescott: Absolutely.

Yes, absolutely.

Bless your heart, I know it is.

A veritable conundrum, indeed.

Follow the money.

I think I can leave those efforts to you, Tom.

It's how countries are built.

There is such a thing as friendship over a common interest. It may sound odd to those who "follow the money", but I can assure you it exists. One advantage about such an exotic relationship is that things can be achieved without dividing people up in masters and servants.
        But I fear I am wasting my time trying to explain that to you.

Comment

There is such a thing as friendship over a common interest. It may sound odd to those who "follow the money", but I can assure you it exists. One advantage about such an exotic relationship is that things can be achieved without dividing people up in masters and servants.
          But I fear I am wasting my time trying to explain that to you.
          Yes, you are, because I already know that. I'd like to think I'm on friendly terms with everybody? As you know, I've promised Ed a pint when I'm in London. However, if he expects anything exotic with me, he's gonna need to be the one buying.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I'd like to think I'm on friendly terms with everybody?
            You know, you could present my Lifetime Achievement Award if you so desired, just to be a nice guy in return for my support for you over the many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
              You know, you could present my Lifetime Achievement Award if you so desired, just to be a nice guy in return for my support for you over the many years.
              It's so weird how our minds are synced.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Yes, you are, because I already know that. I'd like to think I'm on friendly terms with everybody? As you know, I've promised Ed a pint when I'm in London. However, if he expects anything exotic with me, he's gonna need to be the one buying.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                If you already know that, then how come you are trying to belittle me by calling Edward my "master"? Is it part of your effort to be on friendly terms with everybody?
                Just being curious here, Tom.

Comment

Got the book

Hello Tom, got the book, halfway through it.

I really like your hypothesis how Elizabeth Stride got blood on her right hand.

This said, I have two things to say so far:

1- If Stride had indeed some handicap with her legs, it would be very interesting to search this deeper. None of her friends mentioned anything about it, none of the witness mentioned it; Schwartz and the policeman being the only one that saw her while she was not walking. I think it could be an interesting point validating/invalidating witness accounts. Of course, if she didn't, we're back to square one.

2- You mention that Bachert (I guess even I cannot spell his name properly) mentioned he was part of the Vigilance Committee before it was even implemented. This said, it remind me of something I research with my limited means: in Sugden book (page 19 and 345), he mention the St Jude's Vigilance Committee being formed after Tabram's murder and being in place as late as 1889 when they decided to give up. Maybe a better researcher than I could find something there.

Back to reading for me...
                  Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                  - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                    Hello Tom, got the book, halfway through it.

I really like your hypothesis how Elizabeth Stride got blood on her right hand.

This said, I have two things to say so far:

1- If Stride had indeed some handicap with her legs, it would be very interesting to search this deeper. None of her friends mentioned anything about it, none of the witness mentioned it; Schwartz and the policeman being the only one that saw her while she was not walking. I think it could be an interesting point validating/invalidating witness accounts. Of course, if she didn't, we're back to square one.

2- You mention that Bachert (I guess even I cannot spell his name properly) mentioned he was part of the Vigilance Committee before it was even implemented. This said, it remind me of something I research with my limited means: in Sugden book (page 19 and 345), he mention the St Jude's Vigilance Committee being formed after Tabram's murder and being in place as late as 1889 when they decided to give up. Maybe a better researcher than I could find something there.

Back to reading for me...
                    Hi John, thanks for reading and sharing. There has been a fair amount of research done about the St. Jude's VC. Neil Bell and Trevor Bond come to mind. And I'm sure others. I have some stuff about them though it's been years since I looked at it.

As for Stride, although the name 'Long Liz' is probably a play upon 'Long Stride', that might too be a reference to the way she walked. The doctor found the deformity in her leg during autopsy so I hardly think the lack of friends mentioning it negates it. However, it probably played no part in her death. But it might have made her fall easier and so should be kept in mind when considering what Schwartz saw with BS Man. It might also have prevented her from running.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

If you already know that, then how come you are trying to belittle me by calling Edward my "master"? Is it part of your effort to be on friendly terms with everybody?
                      Just being curious here, Tom.
                      You're right, that was uncalled for. I think I was reacting to the suggestion from someone else that I had your 'wrath' coming. Got plenty of that already.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

You're right, that was uncalled for. I think I was reacting to the suggestion from someone else that I had your 'wrath' coming. Got plenty of that already.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                        As I have not read your book, I shall have to deprive you of wrath and praise alike.
                        The suggestion that there would be wrath from my side would probably have come from one of the posters who dislike the Lechmere theory to the kind of degree that has their judgment tapering off in such respects. I would not invest too much in their thinking, but in the end, that is of course your call, not mine.

Comment

As I have not read your book, I shall have to deprive you of wrath and praise alike.
                          The suggestion that there would be wrath from my side would probably have come from one of the posters who dislike the Lechmere theory to the kind of degree that has their judgment tapering off in such respects. I would not invest too much in their thinking, but in the end, that is of course your call, not mine.
                          When have you known me to invest too much in anyone's thinking? Aside from Debs, of course.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

It's good to see that you're weathering the death of a thousand cuts.

Ripperology really is a poisonous, dog-eat-dog, decidedly no-win competition.

Regards,

Simon
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              Hi Tom,

Regards,

Simon
                              No-win? What's that?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                                Hi Tom,

Regards,

Simon
                                Never, it's all light and kindness in ripperland
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X