Was Dr. Phillips flustered by it all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Dr. Phillips flustered by it all?

Its been a little while since Phillips in particular was discussed.

Originally posted by Sam Flynn
    Personally, I think the poor chap [George Bagster Phillips] was rather flustered by it all. Wynne Baxter's penchant for melodrama and hyperbole couldn't have helped, either.

Accurate statement?
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

G'day Hunter

Not so sure about the accuracy of that.

Baxter seems to me to have been a thorough Coroner, I am almost certain he would never have let MJK's inquest be cut short after just one day.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Phillips saw the most Canonicals dead. As a result, his opinion is uniquely qualified in this cases.

If anything he may have been flustered by other physicians findings.

Cheers
      Michael Richards

Comment

good teacher

Hello Cris. Interesting question.

I think the good doctor was, above all, quite the professional. And he was a good teacher. When he gave an opinion he often gave his reason/s for that opinion.

A good teacher can hear the same inane question asked infinitum. S/he merely takes a deep breath and answers yet again.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

"Flustered" is probably the wrong word.

'Disturbed'?, to a point. Out of his comfort zone?, most certainly. Though Dr Phillips was arguably the most professional surgeon involved in the inquiry, so no-one better to apply his years of experience to this unique murder inquiry.

A cautious man not prone to speculation and, as may be evident in the abbreviated testimonies, it would appear he bore witness to some medical evidence that made him feel very uncomfortable, perhaps to the extent of him being out of his depth.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Out of his depth or beyond what he considered proper enquiry while an active police investigation was still underway?
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Dr Phillips strikes me as a competent professional but how could anyone not have been disturbed at this series of events?
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I certainly don't believe that he was medically out of his depth in any of the individual cases...however, looking at the series collectively, it would seem that the whole of society was mentally out of it's depth with such a series of apparently motiveless crimes...

All the best

Dave

Comment

G'day Dave

it would seem that the whole of society was mentally out of it's depth with such a series of apparently motiveless crimes...
                  Spot on mate.
                  G U T

Comment

I would change "apparently motiveless" to "undetermined motives"...because the first presumes too much.

Not seeing something clearly, or not understanding it, doesnt mean its not there.

Cheers
                    Michael Richards

Comment

I wouldn't

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                        looking at the series collectively, it would seem that the whole of society was mentally out of it's depth with such a series of apparently motiveless crimes...
                        Spot on, seconded.

---//---

I should clarify that I'm seconding Dave's "whole of society was out of its depth" observation, which is quite relevant to this thread's topic, namely whether Dr Phillips may have been flustered by the Ripper phenomenon. The matter of whether these were "apparently motiveless crimes" is a topic on its own.
                        Last edited by Sam Flynn; 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM. Reason: Clarification added
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Gareth

Fair enough, your "apparent" reservations accepted

Dave

Comment

Would 'a series of crimes with no apparent motive' suffice, Dave?

Surely even Mike Richards couldn't object to such a straightforward and factual observation.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Fair enough Caz!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X