Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown City of London Officer...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown City of London Officer...........

Just on the off chance, does anyone recognise this chap? I believe he was an officer who served in the City of London Police, during the Ripper murders and wondered whether he was someone involved in the case?

Apologies for the size of the picture, I had to make it this small in order to be able to post it?

In the full size version, he is wearing the 1887/97 Jubilee Medal, the 1902 Coronation Medal and the Afghanistan Campaign Medal. The photograph was taken at 83 Bishopsgate City of London.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by The Station Cat; 01-04-2017, 08:20 AM.

Hi SC

Try sending Monty a PM.

Comment

Have now overcome the picture size issue. ...........

If he can't be identified can anyone suggest what the two "medals" below his miniatures are?

Masonic maybe?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
        Have now overcome the picture size issue. ...........

If he can't be identified can anyone suggest what the two "medals" below his miniatures are?

Masonic maybe?
        Again, if he is a copper Monty's your man.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The photo was taken by William George Henry Wright,3rd Floor,83 Bishopsgate Street Without,City of London between 1891 and 1909 if that is any assistance.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

What makes you think he is a policeman?

Monty
            🙂
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
              What makes you think he is a policeman?

Monty
              🙂

Just a hunch, based purely on the medals he appears to be wearing, 1887/97 Jubilee and 1902 Coronation.

I get the impression that you don't think so?

I suppose they could be the Fire or Ambulance versions or he could be a doctor (police surgeon maybe?).

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                The photo was taken by William George Henry Wright,3rd Floor,83 Bishopsgate Street Without,City of London between 1891 and 1909 if that is any assistance.

That is interesting narrows it down to a 7 period between 1902 and 1909. It is also only a 4 minute wait from the Police station to the photo studio.

Comment

This is what I suspect his medals to be.......(perhaps not that exact clasp on the Afghanistan medal, but you get the idea).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                    Just a hunch, based purely on the medals he appears to be wearing, 1887/97 Jubilee and 1902 Coronation.

I get the impression that you don't think so?

I suppose they could be the Fire or Ambulance versions or he could be a doctor (police surgeon maybe?).
                    No, not at all. I think you may be right. I just wondered if there was additional info.

Yes, could be ambulance as the City Police installed the first automated ambulance system.

Let me look see.

Monty
                    🙂
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Needle in a hay stack, springs to mind, but lets examine the evidence.....

We know he was in the police in, certainly in 1887 and we know that he was still serving in 1888 and that the City Police at that time consisted of 1 Chief Superintendent, 1 Superintendent, 14 Inspectors, 92 Sergeants, and 781 Constables. Spread over 3 stations, one of which was at Bishopsgate. Which is only 4 minutes walk from where this picture was taken.

We know that he had previous military service. The Afghanistan campaign was between 1878 & 1880.

We know that this photograph was taken at sometime between 1902 & 1909.
                      He appears to have some sort of connection other than the police, with the City of London, given the other "medals" he is wearing. Which would suggest City Police as apposed to Metropolitan Police.

I would hazard that he's in his late forties in this picture and that he was perhaps retired by this point?

Comment

I've asked the opinion of an expert*Masonic jewels and he doesn't believe that they are Masonic,*but are most likely connected to the City of London, perhaps from a Livery Company or someone connected with The Lord Mayor’s Show.*

Comment

Here's a link to some info :

But I still say the second one down on his lapel is Blue Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Here's a link to some info :

But I still say the second one down on his lapel is Blue Peter.

Many thanks for the link, Robert. His medal doesn't look like any of the ones pictured, so perhaps its not a Livery medal, Lord Mayors show perhaps?

Comment

It doesn't seem to be the City of London shield. If only I could read the lettering.

Comment

Working...
                              X