Jack the Ripper Conference 2012 in York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
    When you're as beautiful and charming as Jen, then yes, you can have a preview.

Andrew
    So that's a yes then?

Comment

Oh go on then. But don't tell everyone we're staying in the same hotel this weekend!

Comment

beautiful and charming? why thank you kind Sir

although I wasn't aware you were in the habit of exposing your etchings, wonderful as they are, to other people!

x
        babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchett View Post
          [
          Hello Andrew,

I have seen your pics. With a litte more creativity you may perhaps have some thing there.

Best wishes.
          where could he get more creative? the man is published BECAUSE of the creativity. weird post

Comment

Hello Amman,

Well I'm a weird guy. But surelly even a weird guy is entitled to an opinion and to a comment. After all it is not the publishing of the book that counts but the amount that is bought. Even weird guys like me either buy or dont buy books.

Best wishes.

Hatchett

Comment

comments

everyone is entitled to an opinion, however most people were taught by their parents that if they don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

And sadly, the motive behind the comments is all to obvious.
              babybird

George Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchett View Post
                Hello Amman,

Well I'm a weird guy. But surelly even a weird guy is entitled to an opinion and to a comment. After all it is not the publishing of the book that counts but the amount that is bought. Even weird guys like me either buy or dont buy books.

Best wishes.

Hatchett
                I'm a weird guy too. I come onto forums where the murder of women is discussed. i'm sure that's not considered normal to the conformist populace. anyway, you seem to be inferring that because a book doesnt sell well then it is irrelevant?

i feel that have a book published even if it sells one copy is an incredible achievement.

Comment

As someone who prides myself on my general uselessness and lack of ambition, I admire those who work hard and put forth their efforts to the public's critical eye. I wish I were able to attend the 2012 conference and see your work, Andrew, I am sure it is fantastic.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi All,

Baby Bird, this talk about parents, I dont really understand. If an artist wants to improve, which I presume that every artist wishes to do, then they should be prepared for some sort of critism. My opinion was not on any of Andrews books, but on the the three pics that he had displayed.

Neither was my comment negative.

I would have thought that any artist would have welcomed some sort of feedback.

I did not say that having published a book was irrelevent at all. But I would be interested to know how many of you have bought Andrews books before you got to know him. Surelly, that is the test.

I agree with you, Ally, that it takes great nerve to put out anything into the outside world. But if you do that then you must be prepared to accept both the praise and the critism. That is the name of the game in these things.

The worst thing for an artist, I would venture, is for someone who actually likes you to keep telling you how wonderful you are.

Best wishes All

Comment

Hatchett

telling someone creative who is so talented they have been asked to design book covers for authors and been asked to design the conference delegates pack that they lack creativity is not constructive criticism.

You are not even a photographer so what gives you the right to judge whether someone involved in visual arts lacks creativity or not.

You are immensely rude and arrogant. And motivated not by wanting Andrew to improve but by petty jealousy and envy. It makes me so angry.

*best wishes*

Jen
                      babybird

George Sand

Comment

Jen from the depths of rural West Sussex, I'm with you all the way...I've never met Andrew, but from the pics I've seen on the photo thread he's immensely talented and simply doesn't need the unqualified criticism...

Turn the other cheek (until you're forced to go for the gonads!)

Dave

Comment

hi Dave

I agree with you the pictures speak for themselves really. And Andrew is not only a wonderful talent but a true gentleman and one of the kindest and loveliest people in Ripperology (I can vouch for that because I have met him).

As for going for the gonads, I don't think there are any to go for in this case!

But you're right, the cheek shall be turned, and hopefully this thread can return to it's topic of the actual conference, which should be a wonderful experience for everyone involved.

Jen
                          babybird

George Sand

Comment

It is a shame that people cannot make a comment here without personal emotions coming into it.

I think Jen's contribution proves my point. Knowing the artist and then following with praise based on that is not the sort of comment or support that an artist really needs.

It is a competative world. If you saying that any artist, no matter what they produce are not allowed critism because you know them and they are a perfect gentleman, i would respectfully say that that is absurd!

You know, I dont know why people who are trying to debate things have to make these things so personal. Perhaps it is because they really have nothing more worhwhile to say.
                            As I don't know the man, my posting simply cannot be arrogantly dismissed as either emotional or personal...I've simply seen his work and respect it...if I see any worthwhile offering of yours I'll judge it on the same criteria

Dave

Comment

Anyone who appreciates photographic art and has seen Andrew's work knows that he is a genius. But back to the topic of this thread. It seems that the easiest way for me to get to York is to land in London and take a train. So I contacted King's Cross and told them that, since I was travelling north, I'd like to take the Hogworts Special and could they tell me which pillar to walk through. They just laughed at me. British Rail ain't what it used to be.

Comment

The topic of this thread is the 2012 conference. Please return to it and keep conflicts of a personal nature off this thread.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X