Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Street (locations)

Ladies/Gents,

I'm sure everyone on the forum is familiar with the series called Ripper Street.

It appears to the laymen to be well researched with regards to Whitechapel geography?

But I have a question which I hope someone will be able to answer for me?

In the series the American chap and his `Lady Friend`, run a brothel. On several occasions I believe I've heard the characters give the location of their `home` as Tenter Street. I've looked on old maps of Whitechapel and have found such a place, it doesn't exist anymore and was very close to Dorset Street. There is however another Tenter Street, well North, South, East and West Tenter Street, near Royal Mint Street, which appears on old maps and still stands today.

My question is thus, where do we think the creator of Ripper Street, is suggesting that the brothel is, near Dorest Street or Royal Mint Street?

Has anyone got any views or suggestions?

Royal Mint Street.

Leman Street,where the Police Station is,runs parallel to East Tenter Street.
    Last edited by DJA; 11-03-2015, 05:29 AM. Reason: Explanation
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
      Royal Mint Street.

Leman Street,where the Police Station is,runs parallel to East Tenter Street.

Well that kind of solves that doesn't it? Coupled with Tenter (N,S,E,W) appears to have been a more opulent than Tenter Street by Dorset Street, which the brothel appears to be in the programme, but having said that would a Brothel really have been just round the corner from a police station, even in Victorian Whitechapel?

Comment

I've known people running Brisbane brothels with very chummy associations with Police in the 1970s.
        The Fitzgerald Inquiry in the late 1980s precipitated a change of Government.

The left hand side of the Leman Street Police Station had/still has an alley that accesses East Tenter Street.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
          I've known people running Brisbane brothels with very chummy associations with Police in the 1970s.
          The Fitzgerald Inquiry in the late 1980s precipitated a change of Government.

The left hand side of the Leman Street Police Station had/still has an alley that accesses East Tenter Street.

That'll be the case closed then!! Nice to see that the creator did some research, into the local area.

Interesting how there was a Tenter Street and then an East/West/North/South Tenter Streets as well, bet the local postman was pulling his hair out lol.
          Last edited by PC2267; 11-03-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
            That'll be the case closed then!! Nice to see that the creator did some research, into the local area.

Worst areas closest to the Police Station.

Poor.18 to 21 shillings a week for a moderate family.
            Last edited by DJA; 11-03-2015, 09:40 AM. Reason: Bad link.

Comment

This popped up on the Official Ripper Street website-- scroll down to "Jack the Ripper Virtual Tour" (photos)

The page you requested was not found. Enjoy the latest shows, movies and shorts on the BBC America homepage.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Looking at some of the long shots and panoramics of London in Ripper street, I'm sure I spotted a few CGI's of Jaakko Luukanen woven into the scenes.
                JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                ---------------------------------------------------
                JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
                ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                X