No announcement yet.

William Henry Hurlbert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another mention of Grimwood by Sala, plus a description of her wounds.

Belgravia, Volume 23, May, 1874, Page 294

HOW I WENT TO COURT

A Proud Confession

BY GEORGE AUGUSTUS SALA

In a word, I am poor and shabby and despicable, and a plagiarist, a dullard, a buffoon, and a bore (I am afraid that, were the whole truth to come out, it would be found that I had murdered Eliza Grimwood, and set the Thames on fire into the bargain); but what care I for all these little shortcomings and mischances?

The Lancet, June 16, 1838, Pages 399-400

POST-MORTEM APPEARANCES OF ELIZA GRIMWOOD.

To the Editor of The Lancet.

Sir :—Supposing that a statement of the appearances of the wounds found on the body of Eliza Grimwood, who was murdered early in the morning of Saturday, the 26th ult., at a house in the Waterloo-road, Lambeth, might not be altogether uninteresting to the medical readers of your weekly Journal, I have taken the liberty of transmitting the following account for insertion, at your earliest convenience. I am, Sir, yours obediently,

J. L. I'on.

June 6th, 1838.

Mr. Cooke (the medical gentleman who first saw the deceased) and myself made a careful inspection of the body, in the presence of several highly respectable medical practitioners residing in the neighbourhood, when the following particulars were noticed:—

On placing the body on a table, three punctured wounds were discovered on the anterior part, one immediately beneath the left mamma, penetrating through the integuments only, and cellular tissue beneath. Another was found just upon the ensiform cartilage, penetrating that structure, and extending into the cavity of the chest. On reflecting back the sternum we readily traced the direction which this wound had taken; it passed in a perpendicular course from above downwards, wounding in its progress the integuments, the ensiform cartilage, and passing completely through the anterior mediastinum, had wounded the pleura costalis, on the right side of the chest, the viscera in that cavity escaping uninjured. The third stab took an opposite direction, obliquely upwards; commencing near the umbilicus, it passed between the integuments and muscles, to within about an inch and a half of the second wound; here it penetrated the abdomen, having divided some of the fibres of the recti muscles and the peritoneal membrane beneath; but the stomach, and the other abdominal organs, were found to be perfectly entire.

On the forehead, over the left temple, a slight incision was discovered, merely dividing the integuments.

On the anterior part of the neck, about midway, a very extensive incision was inflioted, six inches in length, and about an inch and a half in depth, dividing the integuments, and following parts on the left side:—the sterno-cleido-mastoideus, sternohyoideus, and thyroideus, and crico-thyroideus muscles; the left lobe of the thyroid gland; the cricoid cartilage; and the left carotid artery; leaving the pneumogastric nerve and internal jugular vein entire. The carotid was divided directly across, a little below its bifurcation. On the right side, the wound being more superficial, it had only divided some of the anterior fibres of the sterno-cleido-mastoideus, and the whole of the sterno-hyoid and thyroid muscles, leaving the carotid sheath, together with its contents, uninjured.

On the thumb and middle finger of the left hand two small wounds were discovered, merely dividing the integuments, supposed to have been accidentally sustained during the act of raising the hand to save the throat from the stroke of the murderous weapon.

On turning over the body an extensive triangular wound was found on the back part of the neck; the apex pointing downwards, commencing immediately behind the middle of the right ear, and extending to within one inch of the same point on the opposite side; this wound was about three inches in depth, and had completely divided the integuments, and the whole of the muscular structure beneath; then passing between the spinous processes of the third and fourth cervical vertebrae, it penetrated, to some extent, the bony structure, and exposed to view the theca vertebralis, the farther progress of the instrument having been arrested by the transverse processes of the corresponding vertebrae. When the head was placed in its relative perpendicular position, this wound was found to be two inches higher than the one on the anterior part.

The preceding narrative of the character and situation of the injuries presents to the mind of the medico-legal inquirer matter for curious and interesting speculation, and affords an opportunity to reflect on and trace the order of succession in which the injuries were inflicted. As some slight difference of opinion prevails on this point, even amongst those who had an opportunity of a personal examination, it would ill become me to publish my own sentiments on the subject. Should the perpetrator of the deed ever be discovered, this part of the investigation may be satisfactorily explained. In the absence of such valuable testimony we are at liberty to draw our own conclusions, from the imperfect statement contained in the preceding account.

Comment

• Yet Another Labby Anecdote

A Stepson of Fortune; The Memories, Confessions, and Opinions of Henry Murray (New York: Baker & Taylor, 1910), link
      by Henry Murray

Pages 155-156

[[John] Reid, knowing that I had more or less acquaintance
      with a fair number of British celebrities,
      developed a habit of sending me out to collect
      opinions regarding any interesting "mystery" of
      the day. That lurid and ever-vanishing nightmare
      of criminality, "Jack the Ripper," was then pervading
      the Whitechapel district, and I inspected
      his last victim, lying on the slab of the mortuary.
      Reid suggested that I should go forth and interview
      any celebrities I could find regarding the identity
      of the criminal. I called on Walter Besant, Robert
      Buchanan, James Payn, and Henry Labouchere.
      I was — or flattered myself that I was — a bit of a
      favourite with Mr. Labouchere, whom I had interviewed
      on similarly curious themes on several other
      occasions. He received me with the query, "Well,
      young man, what's the imbecility this time?" "I
      have come," I said, " to ask you if you have any
      theory regarding the identity of 'Jack the Ripper'?"
      "Well," he said, rolling the eternal cigarette in his
      mouth — I never saw him without the cigarette,
      except on one occasion, when I caught a glimpse
      of him in his place in the House of Commons — "I
      don't know that I've formed any theory. But
      I suppose you'd like one?" I replied that I should
      be greatly obliged if he could evolve one for the
      occasion." Then," said he, "I'll tell you what.
      Say it's me. Lots of people will believe it, and I
      promise you I won't contradict it." The New York
      Herald issued a special placard next day, bearing
      the inscription, "Identity of Jack the Ripper —
      Astounding Confession!" And for once, at least,
      the public read the Herald.

Comment

• waiting

Hello Trade. Thanks for posting that. Labouchere was right in the thick of things at the Parnell Commission.

I am in contact with Princeton University regarding the Leland papers. Now it is a waiting game. Sometimes one must wait months.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• link

Hello All. Here is a link to an article with a somewhat better account of Hurlbert's affair.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

• darling of teh Tories

Hello All. And here is a link that helps explain his being loved by the Tories.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• Leland correspondence

Hello All. At long last I have been given a quote for the Leland correspondence (146 pp) at Princeton University and have made the purchase. This is to arrive in 4-6 weeks.

Looks very much like the "litterateur" may have been Walter Besant. Now, if only I can ascertain the identity of the unsavoury character.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Good news, LC.

Besant was one of the founders of a Masonic lodge with Sir Charles Warren.

Ars quatuor coronatorum: Being the Transactions of the Lodge Quatuor Coronati (1888), Volume 1, Page 3
                by Quatuor Coronati Lodge

Know Ye—That We, by the authority and under the sanction of the United Grand Lodge of England vested in us for that purpose, and at the humble petition of our Right Trusty and Well-Beloved Brethren Sir Charles Warren, K.C.M.G., William Harry Rylands, Robert Freke Gould, The Rev. Adolphus F. A. Woodford, Walter Besant, John Paul Rylands, Sisson Cooper Pratt, and others, do hereby constitute the said Brethren into a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons under the Title or Denomination of

The "Quatuor Coronati" Lodge.

--end

See the previous page of the above for bios of the founders.

Besant was also involved in the Palestine Exploration Fund with Warren.

This is Besant's account of a forged MS. offered to the society:

General Work of the Society: A Lecture Delivered for the Palestine Exploration Fund (London: PEF, 1892), Pages 357-359
                by Sir Walter Besant

Then there were the forgeries always going on. First the news would arrive of something mysterious, wonderful, precious discovered in Jerusalem. Then, almost before we had time to be thrilled, would arrive the note of warning. Then would follow, like the swift stroke of avenging fate, the discovery. I recall one scene. We are gathered in the large room of the Palestine Fund Offices. It is filled with antiquaries and scholars; there are members of our Committee; there is Major Conder; there is a detachment from the British Museum; there are Hebraists and antiquaries of all kinds. Among us stands, tall, grey bearded, a handsome man still, blue eyed, calm, self-possessed, the great Shapira, showing his treasure, the priceless copy of the Pentateuch with all the doubtful passages set right—written in beautiful Phoenician or Ancient Hebrew on skins brown with age. He values the document at—how much? Who is to value such a document? Who can set a price upon such a document? A million? Even a million would not represent its value. He is perfectly open, candid, truthful, and straightforward. His story is simplicity itself. The MS. was found in a cave in the Land of Moab. One would expect, perhaps, such discoveries in a cave. As for its authenticity he knows nothing. He asks for nothing more than an examination. Let Dr. Bond carry it away with him. So it is done. Dr. Bond receives the MS. and carries it away. Then Shapira goes too. Those who are left behind begin to scoff. Conder points out that he knows the caves in Moab where the thing was found, and that they are damp, and that damp is fatal to ink; with other damaging and incredulous suggestions. Then the truth comes out, and we hear that the forger, his great coup missed, has hanged himself, and will commit no more forgeries. One of his little, innocent, child-like fancies, however, remains in our office still. It is nothing less than the coffin of Samson— a plain roll of lead with the strong man's name scratched upon it in Hebrew characters.

--end

A longer account and a list of the members of the Fund:

Quarterly statement - Palestine Exploration Fund (October, 1883), Pages 195-209
                by Palestine Exploration Fund

THE SHAPIRA MANUSCRIPTS

Page ?

Executive Committee

[...]

Sir Chas Warren

[...]

Secretary--Walter Besant

Comment

• club

Hello Trade. Thanks for posting that.

Right you are about Sir Charles. He was also involved with another club to which Sir Walter Besant belonged. Possibly the Rabelais Club? I believe Sala--Hurlbert's friend--was also a member.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• Conder

Hello (again) Trade. I say, just noticed the Conder chap. Was he the one about whom a new suspect book was written? (Haven't read it myself.)

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• LC, I haven't read that book either but it's apparently the same Conder.

Comment

• not made up

Hello Trade. Thanks.

Well, at least the person was not made up from whole cloth.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Quatuor Coronati

Hello All. This is a follow up on TradeName's post about the "Quatuor Coronati" lodge. here is a link.

Cheers.
                          LC

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

• Rabelais Club

Hello All. And here is a link to a book about the Rabelais Club--along with a list of members.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Sir Charles Warren

Hello All. And here is a link to the Quatuor Coronati lodge indicating its founders.

I did not recognise having ever seen that photograph of Sir Charles Warren.

Cheers.
                              LC

The Founders of QC Lodge The Warrant to establish Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076 (EC), was issued on 28 November 1884, but consecration was delayed until 12 January 1886, caused by Sir Charles Warren, the WM-designate, having been sent on a diplomatic and military mission to Bechuanaland (now Botswana). The brief biographies below are based […]

Comment

• Whoah,

Some seriously impressive facial hair there.
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X