Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chapman's descendants will attend my presentation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapman's descendants will attend my presentation.

Hi folks

Two of Chapman's descendants, his g-g-g-granddaughter and his g-g- granddaughter (aunt and niece), have just confirmed that they will be travelling to London to attend my presentation at the Whitechapel Society meeting on 5th April.

These ladies only found out they were related to the serial killer George Chapman on 1st March 2013. Prior to that they had absolutely no clue. They found out as a result of family history research. They then used Google to find out as much as they could about him, that led them to my book, and we've been in touch ever since.

I've managed to include a photo of one of them in the paperback edition (pub. 18th March 2014) taken at a war memorial that lists Willie Spink.

I'm so pleased that both ladies have expressed their wish to attend the presentation and are happy to talk and answer questions.

At noon on 6th April I shall be taking brunch at the White Hart in Whitechapel High Street. If you would care to join me just come along, I'd be so pleased to meet you.

Helena
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 03-22-2014, 08:35 AM.
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

This will be really exciting for them regardless of Chapman's evil-doing. I wish I could be there. Great job!

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
      This will be really exciting for them regardless of Chapman's evil-doing. I wish I could be there. Great job!
      Mike
      Hi Mike

It's not every day that someone researching their family tree finds a convicted, hanged triple-murderer, and for him to be a Ripper suspect, well, that is just the icing on the cake really.

It's rather interesting. They were shocked at first, then over time became rather bemused. They don't want anonymity, but I think they should protect that of their children and grandchildren, just in case.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

G'day Helena

So did the descendents have no idea about George?
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to add "Well Done". Wish I could be there for the launch.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            So did the descendents have no idea about George?
            Absolutely none.

You see, they are descended through Chapman's daughter, who, of course, lost the Klosowski surname when she married.

Her husband also had a Polish surname, which he passed on to his son.

His son married and had offspring, then in the 1960s changed his surname (and that of his wife and children) by deed poll to an English surname.

One of the descendants who is attending, Lyn, was born with his original Polish surname and was a teenager when it was changed. She then married and lost her father's new English surname. The other lady who is attending is Sam, the daughter of Lyn's brother. She was born with the new English surname, which she has since lost upon marriage.

So, to answer your question, the most that these ladies knew was that Lyn's father (who was Sam's grandfather) was born with a Polish surname, along with many hundreds of thousands of other Brits (including myself!) They therefore never had the slightest reason to suspect that they were related to a man called Klosowski, let alone George Chapman.

Lyn has children and grandchildren. Recently, one of her grandchildren was enrolled in the same primary school that I attended. Considering there are 20,000 primary schools in the UK I think that is a pretty staggering coincidence!

Thank you for your good wishes.

Helena
            Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 03-23-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

G'day Helena

The family, it seems ,went to a great deal of trouble to keep it quite.
              G U T

Comment

The family, it seems ,went to a great deal of trouble to keep it quite.
                As far as can be ascertained from the descendants, they did not know. We'll find out more when we meet them next month!

Helena

Comment

So have I got it right that they first found out about him through tracing their family tree?

I guess a bit like discovering a family member was transported to the colonies.
                  G U T

Comment

So have I got it right that they first found out about him through tracing their family tree?

Yes, exactly that! And this happened only last March. Even Lyn, who was born with a Polish surname, the same surname acquired by Chapman's daughter when she married, had never researched that surname on Ancestry, where she could have found the connection years ago.

I have done my family tree, and that of a dozen other people, and have never come across a murderer. So I cannot imagine how it must have felt for them to discover a blood tie to a convicted serial killer who many people over the years have suspected of being Jack the Ripper.

I guess they will tell all on 5th April.

I'm trying to imagine how I'd feel seeing my g-g-grandad's name on a plaque on the side of a Whitechapel pub, as a Ripper suspect. How would YOU feel if this happened to you?

Helena
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                      [Photo of placard outside the White Hart]
                      I've gazed at that sign on many an occasion, and something about it always bugged me. I now realise what it is. So, who was murdered by the Ripper on 30th November 1888?
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        I've gazed at that sign on many an occasion, and something about it always bugged me. I now realise what it is. So, who was murdered by the Ripper on 30th November 1888?
                        It's all part of the Ripper mystery!

Nah, that plaque is just full of nonsense top to bottom, really. And "hung"? Hmph!

Helena

Comment

G'day Helena

t was family tree research that bought me to casebook many years ago.

I have a number of convicts and at least one person hanged. He was a son of a nobleman and it is said he was hanged in sight of the lands that wouold have been his to remind him of what would have been his.
                          G U T

Comment

t was family tree research that bought me to casebook many years ago.

I have a number of convicts and at least one person hanged. He was a son of a nobleman and it is said he was hanged in sight of the lands that wouold have been his to remind him of what would have been his.
                            Ahhh that is the kind of thing we all hope to find! Well done! My lot were all simple peasants.

Helena

Comment

What a shame you don't live in London, Gareth, it would have been great to have you attend the meeting.

Helena

Comment

Working...
                              X