Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just where was 29 Hanbury Street.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just where was 29 Hanbury Street.............

Just where was 29 Hanbury Street?

Below is a famous picture of the rear on number 29, everyone into the Ripper has seen it.

But does a picture exist of the rear looking the other direction?

It doesn't need to be a period one.......

I just wonder whether 29 backed onto Black Eagle Street or Pelham Street?
    Attached Files

I believe this is looking from the back step towards the rear of the yard. The outhouse being the structure on the right. But what was behind the gate/fence, there appears to be some dead ground and what is the wall just behind that?

I've looked at the 1888 map and it doesn't show any houses? A warehouse perhaps?
    Attached Files

Comment

1888 map

I'm certain I read somewhere that neighbours, were charging onlookers to view the crime scene from their windows. Now I don't believe there would have been much of a view from the addresses either side, but the rear ones would have. Now assuming that 29 is roughly where the H is. It appears that it's yard backed onto another yard and then some sort of building, it doesn't appear to be a dwelling as there would be no access route. Also if the picture above looking towards the rear of the yard is correct. That would suggest there was a wall, which doesn't appear to be there on the map?

However, if we move slightly further down the street towards the R, there appears to be a small yard at the rear of the property near the A, could this be 29? It appears to have an outhouse and a small wall (which tallies up with the picture) and then another yard, backed onto houses (Pelham Street). Could these be the houses be were people were viewing the crime scene from?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by The Station Cat; 01-22-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

There's also this picture which claims to be the rear of 29 as well?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by The Station Cat; 01-22-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

...........am my whole hypothesis comes crashing down with this map.

This map does not show the outhouse in the photograph, so I can only assume that these photographs aren't the rear of 29??

I'm also still confused as to which properties the occupants were charging people to view the scene from?
          Attached Files

Comment

This picture must have been taken from the "Work Rooms"?
            Attached Files

Comment

I'd always assumed the rear of Hanbury Street, would have looked something like this.

It always seems to look like this in films
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                I'd always assumed the rear of Hanbury Street, would have looked something like this.

It always seems to look like this in films
                Station Cat.

There is a smashing article in Ripperologist 119 by Tim Mosely entitled "The House That Jack Built" that discusses in detail the WC in the back court of 29 Hanbury Street.

Check it out.

Comment

...........am my whole hypothesis comes crashing down with this map.

This map does not show the outhouse in the photograph, so I can only assume that these photographs aren't the rear of 29??

I'm also still confused as to which properties the occupants were charging people to view the scene from?
                  The outside loos might not show up on the fire maps, only the residences and other major buildings.
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi again Station Cat

I have just sent you a private message. Tim Mosley's article, "The House that Jack Built" is SIX parts long. I will send a pdf copy of each copy of Ripperologist that contains the series if you send me your email address by private message. Since they are large pdfs I'll send them to you in separate emails. All part of the service.

Cheers

Chris
                    Christopher T. George
                    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                      Hi again Station Cat

I have just sent you a private message. Tim Mosley's article, "The House that Jack Built" is SIX parts long. I will send a pdf copy of each copy of Ripperologist that contains the series if you send me your email address by private message. Since they are large pdfs I'll send them to you in separate emails. All part of the service.

Cheers

Chris
                      Nice one Chris!

I wasn't sure if my e-mail account would allow me to attach large pdf's.

Comment

:I'm also still confused as to which properties the occupants were charging people to view the scene from?
                        I believe it was number 31, and they viewed the scene from their back yard and over the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                          I believe it was number 31, and they viewed the scene from their back yard and over the fence.

Thanks for confirming that Jon, I knew I'd read it somewhere and hadn't dreamt it!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                            Hi again Station Cat

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, just tried to message you, but got this............

ChrisGeorge has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Comment

Thanks for confirming that Jon, I knew I'd read it somewhere and hadn't dreamt it!!
                              Hi SC

I had to check myself, and found this from The Star 8th Sept:

"PAYING TO VIEW THE SCENE.
                              For several hours past the occupants of the adjoining house have been charging an admission fee of one penny to people anxious to view the spot where the body was found. Several hundreds of people have availed themselves of this opportunity, though all that can be seen are a couple of packing cases from beneath which is the stain of a blood track. "

Comment

Working...
                              X