Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a video of Petticoat Lane from 1903. My apologies if it has already been posted. This particular youtube channel, London Screen Archive, has 123 videos of old London (but only a handful are turn of the century). I've been trying to watch as many as possible.

Sunday morning in the East End market.This fascinating film provides an authentic view of London's East End from over a hundred years ago. Flat-capped men fl...

I think that Monty might have posted the same film, but regional restrictions prevented me watching his.
    Last edited by DrummondStreet; 05-16-2013, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• Great

Comment

• Since I can't delete completely my post I'm putting up this footage of Queen Victoria 1896 and Jubilee Celebration 1897. Hope it's not been seen here before.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by Beowulf; 05-28-2013, 05:02 AM. Reason: change

Comment

• Originally posted by WARSPITE View Post
          superb photos Hutch. I dint even know about the Crossbones Graveyard! Whereabouts is it exactly?
          Crossbones has its own website.

It's in Union St, Southwark, same road as George Chapman had a pub and murdered one of his girlfriends.

Helena
          Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

• Although unrelated , I thought this was a great image from 1888 .. Its from just across the river , taken during the Autumn of terror ..
            Attached Files

Comment

• Up the Royal Arsenal.

I've actually got a replica of their 1913 kit.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                Up the Royal Arsenal.

I've actually got a replica of their 1913 kit.

Monty
                Souvenir of the game?
                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Mr Cholmondeley-Warner An early 20th century television presenter (played by Jon Glover) who, with his manservant Greyson (Enfield), would attempt to uphold ...

Comment

• Superb, Robert!

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Some footage thought to be Arsenal taken in 1897.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• E. George & Son Book shop 76 Whitechapel Rd c1895

Interior illustration of E. George & Son bookshop (late R. Gladding) c1895.
                        76 Whitechapel Rd
                        Taken from "The Book Hunter in London" W. Robers (1895)
                        Attached Files

Comment

• London 1927 in colour!

Not much that is East End or directly Jack related, but I think some of you will be interested in this short colour film shot in London in 1927 - less than 40 years after Jack stalked the streets!

Sorry, this video is unavailable
                          Allen

Comment

• Graf Zeppelin

Click image for larger version

Name:	1931.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	665046

Spitalfields Market and Christ Church below

Comment

• Strangers Home Limehouse

The Star 13th Sept 1888
                              A Japanese named Supiwajan was charged at the Thames Court with cutting and wounding Ellen Norton, 9, Jamaica-passage, Limehouse. The woman's head was bandaged, and she said last night she was in the Coach and Horses beershop, West India Dock-road, and heard screams by the Asiatic Home. She went out and saw the accused about to stab her friend, and rushed forward and got the knife into her own head. She had been drinking, but not in the Jap's company. Her friend's name was Emily Shepherd, and this young woman was called, and said the Jap came up and said to her, "If you go away from me to-night I will rip you up, the same as the woman was served in the Whitechapel-road." She screamed out, when the prosecutrix ran up. The accused then said, "If I can't have her I'll have you," and stabbed Norton in the head with the long bladed knife. He then kicked witness, and afterwards broke a plate-glass window at the Strangers' Home. - Mr. Lushington committed the prisoner for trial.

The Strangers Home The handsome and commodious building in West India Dock road, Limehouse, belonging to the Strangers' Home for Asiatics, Africans, and South Sea Islanders, has lately been, repaired and enlarged, so as to complete its original design.
                              The institution was founded in 1856, under the patronage of the Prince Consort, and established at a cost of £16,000, one third of which was contributed by native Indian princes, gentlemen, or merchant, and a great part of the remainder by English gentlemen connected with the government of India, or by English merchants and shipowners concerned in the Indian trade.
                              It offers, not gratis, but for ten or fourteen shillings a week, the comforts of a well-managed lodging and boarding house to sailors, servants, and others from the Eastern world, with perfect safety against the fraud, robbery, and ill-treatment to which they would otherwise be exposed in London.
                              More than 6000 person, from India, China, East and West Africa, the Malayan peninsula and islands, and those of the South Pacific, have been sheltered in this institution.
                              Of these 1124 were casuals, and 1149 were destitute creatures, taken off the streets, or from hospitals, gaols, and workhouses.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Jon Guy; 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Expanded version of above interior illustration -Strangers Home West India Dock Road Limehouse
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X