Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blind Beggar Gang

Ladies/Gents,

Has anyone got any information on this gang? I believe they were a twenty strong group of pickpockets (predominant in the 1890’s) who plied their trade in Petticoat Lane, until at last they over reached themselves and diligent observation by picked Police officers resulted in the termination of the gang’s activities.

I'm curious to know whether any names of those affiliated with this gang are known?

Has anyone ever come across any newspaper articles of the like about them?

Couple of reports concerning a gang member named "Bulldog" Wallis/Wallace stabbing a client of The Blind Beggar pub in the eye with an umbrella in 1904.
    Hotel has ties to the Krays and the Salvos.
    Ronnie Kray shot George Cornell in the eye,purportedly with "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" playing on the jukebox.
    Last edited by DJA; 02-04-2018, 07:24 AM.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
      Couple of reports concerning a gang member named "Bulldog" Wallis/Wallace stabbing a client of The Blind Beggar pub in the eye in 1904.

Delightful

I've stumbled across a couple of equally endearing individuals, although they appear to be gang members, wasn't sure whether they formed part of this gang or not. Would be interesting to know how many gangs there were in Bethnal Green during this period. The names I've come across are William WADHAM (aka George DEWING) and Thomas TAMPLIN.

In 1896 WADHAM & TAMPLIN, commited robbery (with violence) on a chap called Joseph BLANK stealing his watch and chain on Cambridge Road. For which they were sentenced to 9 months hard labour and 20 strokes of the cat.

WADHAM clearly didn't learn from his experience as in 1899 he shoots Morris SOLOMAN with a revolver on Whitechapel Road and gets 3 years penal servitude for his troubles. The case involved a fit between the Whitechapel boys and the Stepney boys over a cap!!! WADHAM is also documented as being known to associate with thieves!

Comment

Blank could only identify Wadham,yet both were convicted.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
          Blank could only identify Wadham,yet both were convicted.

Guilty by association?

Comment

There were several of the gang in attendance when Blank was robbed.

Surmise the cops collared Tamplin along with Wadham.

Comment

Working...
            X